RNZAF Station Laucala Bay

Any photos, plans, drawings, directions, helpful hints on visting places where flying boats have been operated from historically, or are being operated from today. I am always interested in receiving 'Then & Now' type photographs to assist current day visitors to these place. I'm trying to record the best places to visit before they disappear for ever.

RNZAF Station Laucala Bay

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:44 am

An interesting looking upcoming book....

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Rnzaf-S ... 0143770381

Bee Dawson has written two previous books about RNZAF bases.

The first was about Hobsonville aerodrome & seaplane base; and the second book was about Wigram.

Now it appears she has written a book about the RNZAF's flying-boat base in Fiji (which was also used by TEAL on their Coral Route service to Tahiti during the 1950s).

I've already pre-ordered a copy.
Kiwithrottlejockey

Re: RNZAF Station Laucala Bay

Postby sunderlandmr5 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:12 am

Cool - Thanks for the link. Will have to order.

I have Bee's book on Hobsonville, looking forward to one on L Bay :D

Thanks/regards

Alan
sunderlandmr5

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:32 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ITIAnWFU8

BTW, that video is courtesy of Dave Homewood who runs Wings Over NZ Aviation Forum.

It was put together from 8mm film footage.
Kiwithrottlejockey

Postby sunderlandmr5 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:52 am

Kiwithrottlejockey wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ITIAnWFU8

Really made my day when I watched this through.

I commented to Dave Homewood who I know, and who put the film up on Youtube the following

My Dad was at Lauthala (Laucala (Fijian spelling)) Bay about the same time, and took
lots of colour slides which we often watched growing up. This move/film had many of
the same spots/scenes,so was a great memory trip for me.

The opening song "Isa lei" (Fijian farewell song) sung in that cheesy way, sets the scene for the
idealic tropical Island lazy hazy days :D

Best parts, seeing NZ4115 Q- Queenie flying, the float scenes through the galley window,
actually the whole movie :D

Vinaka vaka levu and Ni sa moce

Alan
sunderlandmr5

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:25 am

Just as I got home from work this morning about 11am (NZ-time), a courier van pulled up behind me and delivered my pre-ordered copy of the book “Laucala Bay — The story of the RNZAF in Fiji 1939 to 1967”. I've only had time for a quick look, but from first impressions, what a fantastic book. It covers not just the RNZAF's Short Singapore, Catalina and Short Sunderland flying-boat operations from Fiji, but also the RNZAF's bomber, reconnaissance and transport land-plane operations from Fiji during WWII as well. Plus operations from outlying islands, TEAL's Hibiscus and Coral Route operations, and RNZAF Laucala Bay Station life for both the airmen and their families. The book is considerably bigger than I expected, running to 336 pages.

Now I've just gotta find the time to read the book from cover-to-cover.
Kiwithrottlejockey

Return to Flying Boat Bases - New and Old