Matchbox Stranear Progress

This section is for discussion about kits in all scales - 1/144th, 1/72nd, 1/48th, 1/32nd, 1/24th(!) etc

Matchbox Stranear Progress

Postby Arkonbey » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:12 am

Howdy, all. This is my first post.

I won a Stranraer at my model building club's auction two weeks ago (US$3) and jumped right in. I wasn't planning on much of an interior, but that little open door just called to me.

More specifically, it called to that little portion of my brain afflicted with AMS. I'm holding back a bit, not putting super-detail where it really won't be seen, but I wanted the interior aft of the door to at least look busy when the viewer's eye moves past the windows or looks through various orifices.

Byran was an amazing help when I told him my tale upon applying to the forum. He sent some great plans. (Thanks, Bryan).

This is the rough, unpainted interior. Much of the little bits (Lewis magazines, first aid kits, extending lamp, etc) are not in and will be painted separately. The major furninshings are done. The cockpit is nearly done, I'm deciding on how to do the second pilots fold-away seat and rudder pedals. I'd appreciate any critique or advice! Thanks for checking this out.

Sorry for the odd angle on these...

A lot of work for a tiny door. But, it had to be done. Well, maybe it didn't, but I did it anyway...

Thanks for looking!
Arkonbey

Re: Matchbox Stranear Progress

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:36 am

WOW ! :shock:
Looking GOOD !
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

The Madness Continues!

Postby Arkonbey » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:04 am

With the interior done except for painting, and a break to participate in 24-Hour Comics Day, I've decided to venture into Biting Off More Than I Can Chew Land. It's been a strange journey so far.

The kit canopy is VERY, VERY THICK.

With all that (hopefully) beautiful detail inside, it seems a shame to hide it behind a warped, distorting canopy. So, I've decided to build my own canopy out of sheet styrene and that thin clear plastic they use for packaging headphones and the like.

I thought and thought and sketched and sketched and came up with Technique #1. I'm building a frame of styrene. The frames are a bit wider than scale, but I think (hope) that the clearer transparencies will make up for that. We'll see how it paints up (one reason for doing it this way was easier painting of the interior of the frame. My one worry is putting the 'glass' in I have a plan, but it wasn't fully formed because I didn't think I'd get to this point without complete failure.

I've got a tentative plan for Technique #2 which I'll be attempting Sunday. I'm doing that a) just in case placing the glass in the current frame fails or b) it looks like butt.

All in all, this is the smallest, most delicate thing I've made yet. Not only that, it's the smallest most delicate thing that needs to be structural! I'm pushing the limits of my engineering ability and my tools. Some of the parts are so small that I really can't see them when they're in the tweezers. Zowie. Stay tuned!
Arkonbey

the madness revealed!

Postby Arkonbey » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:36 am

I'm procrastinating working on a sequential art project and I'm working on the Stranraer. I've completed building the interior and I've painted and washed it. It looks pretty good here. Nice and full:

The problem is, when I button it up, it is virtually all invisible; the radio station with it's electronics rack and plush seat can only be seen if you shine a light inside and tilt the fuselage just right. Even through the dorsal gunners hatch, not much can be seen. I was fooled by the white of the Evergreen plastic into thinking stuff would pop out when I painted it cockpit green. Oh, well.

Here's the navigator's station, the only part besides the cockpit that will be visible:

The other thing I did, which will also be nearly invisible, was to make a new instrument panel. The kit panel is an embarrassment (especially when put next to the crisp, well-detailed Lewis guns and pilots). I found a panel layout diagram, drew instrument faces in Adobe Illustrator, laid them out to scale and printed them on paper. I then worked a sandwich of Evergreen sheet and paper. Turns out, that the detailed faces I worked on were a waste of time given the resolution of my HP DeskJet. At least they look busy. What did work nicely was painting the panel black and then twisting an Xacto #11 in the hole to reveal some white. In person, it makes the instruments pop. I'm debating whether to put a drop of Future on the faces as it may degrade the image more.

In other good news, I made a test of a technique I wanted to use on the wings and control surfaces (which are aluminium doped) and it worked! I'll share when I've done it for real and have some pics.

I'm going to do what is usually annoying: I'm going to apologize for the photos. I truly cannot take any better macro shots with the digital camera I have. I have a high-quality SLR and a $200 macro lens, but it's a film camera and I'm not wasting shots on process. I hope you understand.
Arkonbey

Postby TASSE » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Dont worry the photos are O.K. But is the hull really green on the inside ?

TASSE.
TASSE

Postby dogsbody » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:55 pm

Going by the photos in the Mushroom Model Publications book, the interior of the sole surviving Stranraer, the one at Hendon, is painted Interior Grey-Green. It's a greyer, less green colour than Arkonbey has used.

Now, how accurate this is, I can't say. The museum's aircraft came from Canada, where it was built. It was also used post-war by Queen Charlotte Airways.
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby TASSE » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks dogsbody. It needs to be a kind of pastel green which was fairly standard on aircraft of that period.

Cheers TASSE.
TASSE

Postby Arkonbey » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:27 pm

The call-out in the instructions was the wonderfully descriptive Cockpit Green. I found some shots of the cockpit roof through side windows and grabbed a Tamiya green that looked close. The bottle actually reads Cockpit Green (I think it's actually IJN Cockpit Green as that's what the number was a few years ago). Given the drought of information on the interior, the fact that my stickler-ism only goes so far, that I've already gone above and beyond the kit and that the darn thing is already painted, it stays Tamiya Cockpit Green :)

Where were you guys when the interior was mostly unpainted Evergreen styrene? ;)
Arkonbey

Postby dogsbody » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:23 pm

Didn't know you were needing references.
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby TASSE » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:57 am

I think that the bulkheads would have been green too.

TASSE.
TASSE

Next

Return to General Discussion - Scale Model Plastic and Resin Kits