Anyone make any of the 1/33 paper card models?

This section is for discussion about kits in all scales - 1/144th, 1/72nd, 1/48th, 1/32nd, 1/24th(!) etc

Anyone make any of the 1/33 paper card models?

Postby ssculptor » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:56 am

I work in 1/32 scale almost exclusively. Over the years I have accumulated a number of the 1/33 scale paper card models of whatever flying boats thaat were available.
I will not build them as paper card models because the compound curves do not work well in cardboard. One always gets a sharp edge or series of same instead of a smooth curve.
This summer I expect to start one or two by first copying it up to 1/32 scale. Then transfer the pattern to another material, like thin balsa. Or maybe a thick card stock. I do not care for plastic sheet. I like wood better, but this method can be used with any material, Sheet aluminum, brass, copper, whatever.
There are some nice paper card models available in 1/33, like the Catalina PBY 5, WALRUS, SUNDERLAND Mk II, Saunders-Roe S-R.53, Arado 196, BV-138, Do-18D, Aichi E13-A1 Jake, W-2 flying boat USSR and a few others.

Here are a number of dealers of these kits.
I suggest that you compare prices before ordering as some are priced higher than others.
The best glue I found for paper is UHU and you can get that in the tube at Office Depot (not Staples) stores as well as at
These are in Europe:

There is a forum of paper card models on line.
Papermodels II
Be careful with them. They object to copying card models because they claim that it violates copyrights. :x

There is a person making a model flying boat from an enlarged paper card model of the Dornier DO-15 Wal on the LSP forum. (Large Scale Planes) ... =24792&hl=

Anyone on this forum try to build this way?

Re: Anyone make any of the 1/33 paper card models?

Postby TASSE » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi Ssculptor

I would have thought that it would be easier to build at 1/36 scale as its twice 1/72 and therefor easier to scale up from a drawing.

Re: Anyone make any of the 1/33 paper card models?

Postby MBig » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:21 pm

I am neww on this forum.
My name is Piotr. I'm polish but I live in Scotland, in Aberdeen. Cardboard modeling is my modeling. I make my models from paper. It is not just making. I am designing models from a few years. I sold some projects to polish publishers. Some flying boats: Cl-215 to ORLIK publisher, J2M3 Pete to GPM. Now I am finishing RWD-13 (I design it or I scratch build). After this I wil start with Lohner flying boat.

Return to General Discussion - Scale Model Plastic and Resin Kits