Could someone answer a question about this Dornier?

This section is for discussion about kits in all scales - 1/144th, 1/72nd, 1/48th, 1/32nd, 1/24th(!) etc

Could someone answer a question about this Dornier?

Postby maxmwill » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:42 pm

I've been wondering about if there are any models of the Dornier DO26. I know that there was a 72nd scale vac form of it in the mid-80s, from Combat Models, but since then, I have yet to find another.

Which is a shame, because this flying boat is, arguably, the most beautiful flying boat to ever have been put into production.

So, does anyone know if this has been issued, in 1/72, or any other scale?
maxmwill

Re: Could someone answer a question about this Dornier?

Postby seawings » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Yes, it has been issued as a 1/72 injected model kit, by Huma if memory serves me right. I've got one in the 'stash'...!
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby maxmwill » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:04 pm

1/72 scale. I'd love to get a model of that, mebbe someday in 1/48 scale.

Years and years ago, I had a set of plans for an RC model of this, in 1/10 scale, and it was beautifully drafted out. While the plans called for only two engines, the aft engines being dummies, I wanted to build it as a four-engine boat, because tandem mounted engines have their own particular collective voice, and it is wonderful music, especially when the pair of engines are in reasonable synch.

And I also had the desire to make the attempt to duplicate the tilt mechanism on the aft engines.

But, alas, an acrimonious divorce saw an end to those plans.

But now, seeing as I have lots of marital support(my wife is very encouraging toward my modelling, and is even willing to try to ask intelligent questions about things she never thought of before), I've been wondering if there have been any relatively recent efforts to kit this, or even future plans manufacturers might have to kit this, and 1/48 scale would be perfect, at least for me.
maxmwill

Postby seawings » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:52 pm

maxmwill wrote:1/72 scale. I'd love to get a model of that, mebbe someday in 1/48 scale.

Years and years ago, I had a set of plans for an RC model of this, in 1/10 scale, and it was beautifully drafted out. While the plans called for only two engines, the aft engines being dummies, I wanted to build it as a four-engine boat, because tandem mounted engines have their own particular collective voice, and it is wonderful music, especially when the pair of engines are in reasonable synch.

And I also had the desire to make the attempt to duplicate the tilt mechanism on the aft engines.

But, alas, an acrimonious divorce saw an end to those plans.

But now, seeing as I have lots of marital support(my wife is very encouraging toward my modelling, and is even willing to try to ask intelligent questions about things she never thought of before), I've been wondering if there have been any relatively recent efforts to kit this, or even future plans manufacturers might have to kit this, and 1/48 scale would be perfect, at least for me.

Not that I'm aware of but the 1/72 kit is a good one!
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
seawings
Site Admin

Postby maxmwill » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Well, then I'll have to shop around for it. After all, if a bird is not available in 48th, then I would settle for 1/72 scale. Of course, an RC model'd be nice to do, as well.

A number of years ago, I showed some of what I researched on the DO26 to another mechanic, one who actually owned an FBO, and he began to think about the possibility of building one, full size, complete with diesel engines. A while after that, I changed places of employment and kind of lost track of him. But, something like this would take a while, if only to start building the jigs for wings, fuselage and empennage, but still, something to dream about for the long term, especially since aviation diesel engines are coming back into vogue.

Who knows, a sexy bird like that plying the waterways of the Carribean, or even around the various islands of the South Pacific. Makes one think thoughts and dream dreams of possible flying machines.

The throb of synchronized diesel engines, cruising along at a thousand meters or so, then coming in the alight on the water. There was a certain amount of magick with regard to the airliner flying boats of yesteryear. Would that a portion of those days might come back to life.

I dunno. My wife calls me a hopeless romantic. Maybe she's right.
maxmwill

Postby seawings » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:07 am

My wife calls me one of them two as well.

Just can't remember which one, though............ :D
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

seawings
Site Admin

Postby maxmwill » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:48 am

This might have to be scratch built, should one desire a model of it in any of the most common scales for plastics, and I'm not sure if I could do something like this.

But as an RC model, well, that might be a bit easier to do.

And it wouldn't be very small, as a 1/10 scale model is close to 10 feet span.

It'd be impressive, though. :D
maxmwill

Postby dogsbody » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:33 pm

seawings wrote:My wife calls me one of them two as well.

Just can't remember which one, though............ :D

My wife calls me things that I dare not post here.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby maxmwill » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:12 pm

About the only thing my wife doesn't call me is late for ssupper.
maxmwill

Return to General Discussion - Scale Model Plastic and Resin Kits