Hello, and here are a couple ideas

This section is for discussion about kits in all scales - 1/144th, 1/72nd, 1/48th, 1/32nd, 1/24th(!) etc

Hello, and here are a couple ideas

Postby maxmwill » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:51 pm

I'm new here, having joined a day or so ago, and was just approved to join in on the conversations.

I have a couple ideas for modelling subjects, the inspiration for which I got when I was doing research and discussing one subject in another model forum.

While I was doing research for building a DO217, I found a reference to a paper project for a DO217G, which was also called the DO217W. This was to be a float-equipped DO217 for attacking ships in the Mediterranean. While it was never put into production, it looked, to me, rather interesting. As I have a 1/48 scale model(actually have two, but one is for possible spare parts), I had started looking for the proper set of floats for this. As the HE115 was in the same class, was in fact similar in size, I started looking for a 1/48 scale '115. No such luck, which is kind of sad, seeing as the '115 was itself, along with the He59, a rather important aircraft during the war.

However, I did find a 1/72 scale '115. Now, I prefer 1/48, but 72nd will do in a pinch. So, I bought the kit, and then found a 72nd scale '217.

As this was never put in production, let alone in squadron strength, I had to speculate a bit, and decided that I might be able to use the squadron emblem decal supplied in the '115 kit. Never did a diorama before of something on the water, so this is going to be a learning experience for me.

If anyone is interested in a three-view, while I don't have scanning capabilities, I could send a photocopy, should anyone wish it.

The other idea that I had was a Grumman goose on hydroskis. This was a test subject to see if the takeoff run for a flying boat could be shortened a bit, and I found a number of photos of the Goose on the skis. This might make for an interesting kit bashing project.
maxmwill

Re: Hello, and here are a couple ideas

Postby seawings » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi Maxmwill, you are most welcome here!
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Re: Hello, and here are a couple ideas

Postby maxmwill » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Thank you.

I hope to be able to contribute something positive, if only in a minor way, to the forum. :)
maxmwill

Return to General Discussion - Scale Model Plastic and Resin Kits