Finally gettng to building in 1/144 & 1/72

This section is for discussion about kits in all scales - 1/144th, 1/72nd, 1/48th, 1/32nd, 1/24th(!) etc

Finally gettng to building in 1/144 & 1/72

Postby southwestforests » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Hey Y'all;

Forrest along the Missouri River here. Am finally taking action on a desire to construct a collection of 1/144 flying boat models, mostly to be done up civilian, and some 1/72 Grummans as well.
Dug out an old 1/144 Glenco Martin M-130 that's been buried in a box for a couple decades and have recently gotten Revell Germany's DoX and Trumpeter's H6K5-L, the more or less civil version. Still need Minicraft's Boeing Clipper and PBY. So far in 1/72 have Airfix's Widgeon and Duck kits. I think Trumpeter has a single motor Russian military/civil job of soem sort which also comes with floats, and etched brass parts.
They aren't intended to be musuem quality in finish as my current health has declared those days are over. But, hey, I can still build, and will do what I can when I can.

DoX was a birthday gift last month, much appreciated! Had an idea with it: given that its wings are better than a foot long and in fairly thin plastic it seemed wise to reinforce them against eventual droop in a few decades; would be a major faux pas to have a droopy Dornier you know.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa30 ... G_0775.jpg

On a trivia note, would have being born in San Diego toward the end of USN's flying boat ops there have something to do with me having this thing for palm trees and seaplanes?
Last edited by southwestforests on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Screw the rivets, I'm building for atmosphere
See y'all later, Forrest.
southwestforests

Re: Finally gettng to building in 1/144

Postby MrWidgeon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Welcome Aboard SWF.
Sounds like you have pretty good line up to start with, although if it were me, I'd replace the Airfix Widgeon with the Pavla kit, it's a better starting point.
The Airfix kit is well over 50 years old and it shows, hardly anything on it is correct and the molds are getting a bit tired.
Pavla's Widgeon kit is a little harder to build, but looks a lot better when finished.
The Duck on the other hand is pretty nice for it's age and can be made into very nice model.
The rest I know nothing about except the Do X & M-130 and those were so long ago all I can remember is having them.
Good idea on the Do X, but I think you'll find you may need to bend down the ends of that channel in order to get the other wing half to fit properly.
If you need any help, you'll find it here and if you need any info related to the Widgeon just ask, I probably have it.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby southwestforests » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:16 pm

Hey there :)

I'm wanting the Airfix kits just because they make a series of planes which float. And because dozens of their fighter planes were built decades back :)

Ah! Forgot about Pavla's kit: have seen it reviewed.
Also forgot to say I have Amodel's 1/144 ASW Albatros which will get done up as a civvie job, maybe as "my" plane if reality were such that I could have one. As much as "real airplanes have round motors"; in real life it would probably be more economical to convert Albatros to turboprop. Am wondering about doing likewise to model.

At one time there was an idea to build an N-scale (1/160) model railroad centered around a train-flying boat interchange terminal, dock, whichever is the right word. That plan has been scaled back to simply enjoying the airplanes.

Happily it turned out wing was enough longer than channel no metal cutting was required. And as an added bonus at no extra charge a piece of the next smaller channel was discovered jammed in the one chosen to use! Channel was super glued down then styrene brackets were added for if the super glue ever turns less super in future decades.

Thanks for offer to share your knowledge, may well be taking you up on that - but not this weekend - be a bit before getting there, want to do the airliners first.
southwestforests

Postby Cameraman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:51 pm

Hi Forrest,

if you're looking for information re Airfix kits, can I direct you towards;

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/index.php

Enjoy.

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby southwestforests » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:55 am

Thanks Reggie :D

Hey Bill, just sent you a note with a couple questions.
And your avatar brings to mind a cat and his name http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa30 ... nkitty.jpg There is a story how that name came to be, involves being a near-dead roadkill rescue who kept "flying" on a massive will to live with massive injuries.
southwestforests

Re: Finally gettng to building in 1/144 & 1/72

Postby southwestforests » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:27 am

"On the bench" as the saying says, Airfix 1/72 Grummans, a Duck and a Widgeon. Widgeon will end up USCG via kit decals; Duck is leaning the USCG direction, or maybe USN with 1930s yellow wings, or maybe civilian.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa30 ... G_0821.jpg

Widgeon wings and engines are not yet glued on. Duck fuselage halves are taped together merely to hold interior cabin parts in correct alignment as glue on them dries.
Other than adding .010 or .015, forget, brass wire wing float bracing wires to Widgeon, as much for float survivability as for detail, not a lot of extra work is going to be done to either one.
southwestforests

Return to General Discussion - Scale Model Plastic and Resin Kits