Grumman Gosling

This section is for discussion about kits in all scales - 1/144th, 1/72nd, 1/48th, 1/32nd, 1/24th(!) etc

Grumman Gosling

Postby Roman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:52 am

Hi all, you will find here a beautyfull build of a Widgeon: https://picasaweb.google.com/1049703480 ... AZModel148
Cheers
Patrice
Roman

Re: Grumman Gosling

Postby MrWidgeon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks for the link Patrice, it is indeed a beautiful model - but not all together correct.
He did some very interesting things like the engine intakes, exhaust covers and the fuel sump drains, but totally missed on most of the interior.
The Gosling and all Ranger engine Widgeons only had 3 seats in the main cabin, not 5 as shown in the instruction sheet.
No Widgeon is certified for 7 seats total, 6 is the most you can legally carry in a modern Super Widgeon.
Those openings at the top of the cockpit seats are in the wrong place, they are hand holds on the inside corners of the seats, the cockpit seats never used shoulder harnesses in WW II.
He scores high marks for the cockpit overhead panel, not totally correct, but nicely done, he did miss that the throttle knobs themselves were Yellow on bare aluminum arms though.
He should have used the more square parts over the wheel wells, they were originally cabinets for map storage on the left and radios on the right.
The angled parts he used are for a modern airplane.
He also didn't need to fill in the bottom of the rudder, there is a step between the end of the hull and the rudder to allow water to drain out.
The hull behind the tail wheel well is open, nothing to stop water from coming in - or going out, the very rear of the hull is normally above the waterline.
Nor are there drain holes in the second step in front of the tail wheel, there is however supposed to be a vent hole in the side of the hull at the first step to let air in.
His radio antenna rig is almost complete fiction and he forgot the "X" bracing in between the float struts.
I like the way he did the cabin entry step and door handle, but the bow compartment didn't have an external handle until post war and not on all airplanes.
While he went to great pains (I'm sure) to add rivets, he only added about 1/10th as many as there should be, same for the fabric tapes on the back half of the wing - there should be twice as many.
The Widgeon uses lots and lots of very small rivets shot very close together.
Unless you are very close to the airplane when you look at it you generally see lines rather than individual rivets.
I like that he got the aileron push/pull tubes and the flap compensating trim tab on the right elevator, but he missed the regular trim tab on the left one.
He did do a very nice job of fitting the horizontal stabilizers to the vertical fin (they're a terrible fit).
The engine exhaust pipes should be brown rusted burnt metal getting more oily as they go aft, not chromed, but the pitot head should be.
Also, the pipes shouldn't be hanging down like that, they should be bent up more and run just below the surface of the wing with a small brace on the tip of the pipe anchoring the pipe to the wing.
I could go on, but I think you get the idea.
Again, I'm not saying he did a bad job, it's a beautiful model, but he missed on a bunch of small details that are readily available if you look for them.
I've posted a lot of those here on this site.
Going by the photos he posted I gather he was using a build review in a magazine instead of doing his own research and when you do that you are likely to commit the same errors as the reviewer/builder in the magazine.
I've book marked his photo page and will download some of his ideas for my own future Widgeon builds.
Thanks again.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby BenoitLescot » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:35 am

Mr Widgeon, your knowledge of the details is impressive !
BenoitLescot

Postby MrWidgeon » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:03 am

Thanks, I've studied these airplanes for many years.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Return to General Discussion - Scale Model Plastic and Resin Kits