From the beginning, starting with C/N 1201,

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Re: From the beginning, starting with C/N 1201,

Postby mdwflyer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:10 am

Barnstormers add for N4453 "Fantasy Island" airplane, calls it the last Widgeon built. If it's Scan 31, it's not the last widgeon built. Is it perhaps the last widgeon converted by Mansdorf?

I love the red paint job.

Mark
mdwflyer

Postby Rajay » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:36 pm

mdwflyer wrote:Barnstormers add for N4453 "Fantasy Island" airplane, calls it the last Widgeon built. If it's Scan 31, it's not the last widgeon built. Is it perhaps the last widgeon converted by Mansdorf?

I love the red paint job.

Mark

I will of course defer to Bill if or when he chimes in, but I was under the impression that all of the SCAN Type 30 Widgeons were in fact built after all of Grumman's own production of the type had been shut down. I believe that Grumman's last Widgeon rolled of the (Bethpage?) assembly line in the late 1940's but all of the SCAN production in Rochelle, France did not take place until the early 1950's - and even then most of the unsold airframes were disassembled, crated, and put into storage such that most were eventually sold, exported (from France) & re-assembled in the US in the mid-1960's - and that is why they carry certificates of airworthiness with such dates often confused with supposed "date of manufacture" on their registrations.

And for the record, SCAN actually built 41 examples of the Type 30 Widgeon (serial nos. 1 through 41) so technically SCAN Type 30 serial no. 41 would have been the very last Widgeon ever built. It may not have been the very last one assembled from the crated parts in the US, but technically the very last one to be orginally manufactured....

According to the FAA Registry database, that Widgeon (s/n 41) is currently registered as/to:

N4122A
CARL H LUDWIG
27 N BUCKHOUT ST
IRVINGTON, NY 10533-1547

And in my personal opinion, in spite of its supposed fame as the Fantasy Island airplane, or if you like in spite of its notoriety as a drug-smuggler, they are still asking way too much for N4453. :shock:
Rajay

Postby mdwflyer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:28 am

Rajay wrote:And in my personal opinion, in spite of its supposed fame as the Fantasy Island airplane, or if you like in spite of its notoriety as a drug-smuggler, they are still asking way too much for N4453. :shock:

I hope they get it! This one came west for quite a bit less http://vimeo.com/106557548

Here you go Bill, SCAN #28

mdwflyer

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:53 am

All snug in it's new home.
CONGRATULATIONS !
(How do you like it & how was the flight home ?)

Bill
PS Love the video, I miss that sound.
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby Rajay » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:03 pm

Love the hangar.
I was impressed with its cleanliness and all of the light it lets in.
I was also going to say that it looks all snug and warm - until that is I scrolled down and saw the little boy all bundled up in his coat and hoody!

So, what's the deal with this Widgeon?
I didn't have SCAN Type 30 serial no. 28 in my current registration database (i.e. Excel spreadsheet.)
Has it been in Canada for the last 60 years or so?
That's what I'm guessing because when I searched the FAA registry for serial no. 28,
I got a hit on N2812D, "Grumman" SCAN 30 serial no. 28, last registered in the US to:

McKinnon-Hickman Co
6742 NE Marine Dr.
Portland, OR 97201
de-registered/cancelled July 6, 1956
Rajay

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:24 pm

It's been in Canada all that time, in fact I think it's the longest serving (SCAN) Widgeon in Canada.

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby mdwflyer » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:38 am

MrWidgeon wrote:All snug in it's new home.
CONGRATULATIONS !
(How do you like it & how was the flight home ?)

Bill
PS Love the video, I miss that sound.

Having a ball, froze our butts off coming home. It was just a weather challenging endurance match getting it home, we swept snow off it two mornings in a row... Didn't see any open water until getting it to BC. That was the first week of may.

Although I didn't want GO-480's from the start, I'm really enjoying them.

It has been humbling getting comfortable with the airplane, but I'm getting there one step at a time.

Rajay wrote:Love the hangar.
I was impressed with its cleanliness and all of the light it lets in.
I was also going to say that it looks all snug and warm - until that is I scrolled down and saw the little boy all bundled up in his coat and hoody!

So, what's the deal with this Widgeon?
I didn't have SCAN Type 30 serial no. 28 in my current registration database (i.e. Excel spreadsheet.)
Has it been in Canada for the last 60 years or so?
That's what I'm guessing because when I searched the FAA registry for serial no. 28,
I got a hit on N2812D, "Grumman" SCAN 30 serial no. 28, last registered in the US to:

McKinnon-Hickman Co
6742 NE Marine Dr.
Portland, OR 97201
de-registered/cancelled July 6, 1956

It's a good sized hangar, I'm renting space from a friend. The natural light really makes a huge difference getting work done with the doors closed.

SCAN 28 was completed by McKinnon and sold to the Ontario Government who operated it for about 13 years, then sold and privately owned for 30 years, then donated to a museum for 14. It has basically lived it's life in Canada. I am going to try and continue the tradition for a long time.
mdwflyer

Postby MrWidgeon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:54 am

Glad to hear you're having fun with her.
The 270 hp GO-480s are great engines for the airplane, one reason it was the Creme de la Creme Widgeon conversion until the Magnum came along.
The Widgeon can humble even the most experienced pilot, never forget it.
I know Widgeon & Goose pilots with thousands of hours in them that have been reminded of their place after taking the airplanes for granted, being hurried, forgetful or pushing the edge a little too close.
Treat the lady with the respect she deserves and you shouldn't have any problems.
ALWAYS remember where you are landing and where the landing gear is.
I have a friend that says out loud every time "This is a runway landing, CHECK GEAR DOWN" or "This is a water landing CHECK GEAR UP".
He hasn't gotten it wrong yet. LOL
If you ever get down to Southern Idaho I fully expect to have the right front seat for a ride. :lol:

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby SeaplaneWorks » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:51 am

As I have not seen too many air to air pictures, here are a couple. This is s/n 1410 and is also a Magnum Widgeon.

SeaplaneWorks

Postby MrWidgeon » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:16 am

SWEET !
It looks fantastic Mark (you lucky .............).

Bill
MrWidgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Grumman G-44 Widgeon Reference Archive