From the beginning, starting with C/N 1201,

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Re: From the beginning, starting with C/N 1201,

Postby Rajay » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:55 pm

You see what I'm talking about - about the "VALLEY" on the wall of the hangar behind N4451, right...?

Was Whiteman ever called "Whiteman Valley"?

Or maybe there was an FBO at Whiteman with another name ending in "ALLEY" where the preceding letter had two separate top points...
Kalley,
Nalley,
Ualley,
Valley,
and
Xalley
are the only possibilities.
Rajay

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:13 am

I see it, but it could just mean Valley Flying Service, no idea.
The Corp. Office address for PACE was Sun Valley, CA, but I think the mods were later done at Van Nuys (not certain about that though), somewhere I have an ad with the airport address and that name rings a bell.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby Rajay » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:02 pm

Is "Sun Valley Airport" now closed? I see Whiteman (KWHP) practically across the street from Van Nuys Airport (KVNY) - they are CLOSE to each other! But no "Sun Valley" comes up, at least not in CA. Or maybe the current Van Nuys Airport was once called "Sun Valley" - is that possible?

On the other hand, according to Google Maps, there is a "Sun Valley Park" right off he northwest corner of Burbank's Bob Hope Airport - just a few miles to the southeast of Van Nuys and Whiteman airports. Maybe IT used to be Sun Valley Airport...?

Nope. http://www.burbankairport.com/home/about-airport/history.html
Rajay

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:20 pm

I think the Sun Valley address was probably an off airport business address rather than an airport.
It was in a listing in an old copy of Janes.

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:02 am

Rajay, I have since found out there was a Sun Valley Airport in CA., but I can't find hide nor hair of it anywhere.

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby Rajay » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:29 pm

I decided to enlist some help from a different "big gun" - the online guru of all "abandoned & little-known" airports all around the US, Mr. Paul Freeman. You can checkout his main Web site here (and if any of you have never before browsed his site, it's chock full of interesting little tidbits, etc.):

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/

I wrote to him this morning and explained our interest in and troubles with finding the elusive "Sun Valley Airport" in So. Cal. I guess we're still assuming that it wasn't all that far away from the Van Nuys - Burbank area where Whiteman was located. Do you think that's still a good assumption - or it possible that it was actually much farther away, say east of LA or up in the Central Valley?

In any case, he has already written back to me and seems to be on it! Of course, I'll share anything that he manages to come up with!

-Dave
Rajay

Postby MrWidgeon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:50 am

I checked his site before answering you, didn't think think to email him though.
Yeah, I think it was still in the same area.

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby mdwflyer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:42 am

Which airplane is this?

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_875361_1955+Scan+G44A+Widgeon+Project.html

Is that really getting continental IO-360?? Interesting choice if it is.

Mark
mdwflyer

Postby MrWidgeon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:17 am

Near as I can figure Mark it's SCAN # 14, N701Q.
It's the only SCAN I can find an AK accident report on in that time frame.
I don't think those are IO-360s either, they're 6 cyl. engines, not 4's, could be they have the wrong Piper.
The Magnum conversion uses the TIO-540 engines from the Navajo Chieftain, those would make more sense, since they've been STC'd for the airplane.

BTW, I haven't forgotten about the POH, I just haven't gotten any returns on it yet.

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby mdwflyer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:49 am

MrWidgeon wrote:Near as I can figure Mark it's SCAN # 14, N701Q.
It's the only SCAN I can find an AK accident report on in that time frame.
I don't think those are IO-360s either, they're 6 cyl. engines, not 4's, could be they have the wrong Piper.
The Magnum conversion uses the TIO-540 engines from the Navajo Chieftain, those would make more sense, since they've been STC'd for the airplane.

BTW, I haven't forgotten about the POH, I just haven't gotten any returns on it yet.

Bill

Good find, I missed that one.

The engine conversion seems weird, the Seneca usually uses the continental IO-360 (it is 6 cylinder, as opposed the 4 cylinder lycoming of same displacement). That engine has a funny top induction system that one of the add pictures shows. If that is the choice, I hope it is a light airframe and conversion as I don't believe that engine is rated much more than 210hp.

I'm all good in the POH department, found another box of "good stuff"!
mdwflyer

PreviousNext

Return to Grumman G-44 Widgeon Reference Archive