From the beginning, starting with C/N 1201,

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Re: From the beginning, starting with C/N 1201,

Postby mdwflyer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:55 pm

I think it's 1265, but it may be 1235. Somewhere in coast BC.
mdwflyer

Postby mdwflyer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:18 pm

Perry just sent me a couple of pics of N86609 SN1435 at a recent fly-in. Shorts and T-shirt weather would be nice...

I really like this widgeon:
mdwflyer

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:26 am

I spent quite a few hours in 09 as a kid.
I still think the McDermott conversion has the most appealing cowlings with that graceful arch on the top & bottom.
Not as rounded as McKinnon or boxy as a Lockheed, yet more full figured than a Franklin or Magnum.
But then I might be considered a bit biased since I grew up in them. :)
Kudos to Blackie and Warren Bordes who came up with the idea and sheet metal magician Ray Young, Steve Sarradet and the other mechanics who made it happen.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:42 pm

mdwflyer wrote:Image

I'm not sure about it being either of those.
Looking at the bow bumper it looks more like the one on a G-44A.
The G-44 had a higher chine and a smaller bumper, this one looks bigger.
Here's a comparison I did for mfg. of the Classic Airframes Widgeon kit a few years ago.

G-44

G-44A

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby mdwflyer » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:40 am

Many months later... Spoke with the kid standing on the airplane in the photo (he's a little older now). It's 1265, CF-IIQ.

MrWidgeon wrote:
mdwflyer wrote:

I'm not sure about it being either of those.
Looking at the bow bumper it looks more like the one on a G-44A.
The G-44 had a higher chine and a smaller bumper, this one looks bigger.
Here's a comparison I did for mfg. of the Classic Airframes Widgeon kit a few years ago.

mdwflyer

Postby MrWidgeon » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:00 pm

Thanks, I was pretty sure it was that one.
I wish my Photoshop skills were good enough to restore that shot.

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby ForsbergAviation » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:49 pm

image.jpg
Scan 30. SN 30
image.jpg (403.33 KiB) Viewed 4229 times
To Mr. RayJay
I read the post you wrote about my frame not being a G-44A. I really wanted a G-44A, since you reported that it is a Stright G-44 frame, I have scrapped it. The other frame I had was a S.C.A.N. 30. I want a G-44A, so I scrapped it also. Boy the salvage yard was tickled to get those two frames, with wings and all. They sold them to a restraunt in Venezuela. One is hanging in the entryway. The other is on a stick in the parking lot. I am looking for a G-44A now. Thanks for letting me know about my mistakes.
Ed
ForsbergAviation

Postby ForsbergAviation » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:37 am

Oh, by the way. Since the departure of my Widgeons, I have been working on my J2F6 Duck, and my JF-1 Duck. The girls are sitting side by side, and comming together nicely. I did keep my round floats from my Widgeons, because they are the same part number as the floats on the Ducks.
ForsbergAviation

Postby Rajay » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:38 pm

ForsbergAviation wrote:
image.jpg
To Mr. Rajay
I read the post you wrote about my frame not being a G-44A. I really wanted a G-44A, since you reported that it is a Stright G-44 frame, I have scrapped it. The other frame I had was a S.C.A.N. 30. I want a G-44A, so I scrapped it also. Boy the salvage yard was tickled to get those two frames, with wings and all. They sold them to a restraunt in Venezuela. One is hanging in the entryway. The other is on a stick in the parking lot. I am looking for a G-44A now. Thanks for letting me know about my mistakes.
Ed

Really? I mean, REALLY? Why was it so important specifically to have a G-44A as opposed to a "plain" old G-44 or SCAN Type 30? In terms of configuration details, the SCAN Type 30 is essentially identical to a G-44A. It's not like the models G-44A were ever "warbirds" like the military versions of the G-44, i.e. the Coast Guard's models J4F-1 and the Navy's models J4F-2. (Maybe that matters more over on the WIX forum.)

I know people who would give their left, well you know, to have ANY kind of Widgeon and wouldn't be quite so picky. And why did they have to be scrapped? That's the only real "mistake" that I can see from my vantage point. Were they really that far gone that they couldn't have been restored and flown again by someone else - even if they weren't models G-44A in particular?

You know what they say, don't you - "A Widgeon in the hangar (or in the sky or on the lake) is worth ten in the junkyard...." And remember, there are a finite number of these things; nobody is making any new ones anymore - and you just threw two of them away.

Just out of curiosity, was the address of the salvage yard: 13545 SYCAMORE AVE, SAN MARTIN, CA 95046-9796 and were the Widgeons in question N890 and N52833? Just so that I can properly notate them accordingly in my personal database.

-Dave
Rajay

Postby SeaplaneWorks » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:45 pm

I do also agree with Rajay with regards to the desirability of certain airframes over others and not "scrapping" the parts. As for N890 and N52833, they were part of the inventory that Rochester Amphibian purchased from Mirabella in Ft. Pierce. Since the decision was made to not undertake the restorations, the two aircraft and all the parts were sold to Ken in San Martin. At this time, all I know is that Ken purchased a couple of other projects as well and was going to rebuild a couple airplanes. However, according to the FAA website N890 and N52833 have since been terminated. I really wish that Ken had not done that as it is truly the death of the two airplanes, but they were his to do what he wished.

Mark
SeaplaneWorks

PreviousNext

Return to Grumman G-44 Widgeon Reference Archive