Widgeon CF-IJO - Help needed..............

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Widgeon CF-IJO - Help needed..............

Postby seawings » Mon May 17, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi all, I just received this from our latest member, Lisa who would like to know more about a particular Widgeon. I'll let her tell the story...............

Hello Bryan!

So nice to be in contact with you. My name is Lisa Shore, I am 52 years old and live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. My professions were in the television and Interior Design businesses, however, I am lucky to be enjoying much travel these days as my husband is winding down his days in the office.

I was interested to find your website as my father, Jim Shore, owned two Widgeons in the 1960's. Our family was so fortunate to enjoy flying regularly to our summer home in Ontario and even made the trip to Nassau in the Bahamas. I was quite young but have many memories of our very special family time flying where my dad's dreams took us. Then in 1967, tragically, he died after flipping the plane after landing in a northern lake strewn with small icebergs. The plane survived but all three men died of hypothermia in the water swimming to shore. Unfortunately my brother, then 11 years old, witnessed the crash and was stranded with four other men who had flown up earlier in the day and had been dropped off. The plan had been to fish and camp for the weekend and all go back in Dad's plane. He and the others hiked back to civilization. A terrible tragedy that changed our lives forever.

I have always wondered if the widgeon (CF IJO) had been re-built and is still in operation. I was at the Vancouver airport last week and found a Goose and was able to take a good close-up look at it. It rekindled my questions and I started looking around on the internet if, by chance I could find her. I ran across your website and you do have a picture of a very sad looking and bruised IJO obviously taken after the salvage.

I am sending some family pictures you might enjoy. Please let me know if they would be appropriate for the forum. The first is of me on my dad's knee (and my brother) with the red Widgeon on a buoy in the distance. I was too young to remember the registration letters. The IJO is the blue one. My favourite picture is of the plane tied into a remote quiet bay somewhere in Northern Ontario with my mom sitting on the top. Mom and Dad were with dear friends and flew in for a weekend of camping, fine gourmet open fire cooking and plenty of red wine. What a life! They sure lived it to the fullest. Unfortunately Mom died 6 years after my dad from breast cancer. ( I maintain it was from a broken heart.) At least they both had a wonderful time while it lasted together and many memories centered around our Widgeons.

Your website is amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed browsing through it. I don't know how you found the picture of IJO but it was interesting to see it again. Do you know how I might find out if she is still around?

Thanks so much.

Lisa Shore

Ok, Guys n' Gals, over to you......! ;)

Welcome to the Forum Lisa....! :)
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Re: Widgeon CF-IJO - Help needed..............

Postby TASSE » Mon May 17, 2010 10:13 pm

Well Bryan lets see her photos please.

Roy.
TASSE

Postby MrWidgeon » Tue May 18, 2010 6:35 am

CF-IJO was cn 1458.
It was rebuilt and is currently registered in the US as N9GW and is owned by a gent in Connecticut.
I don't have a current photo of it.
A search of the FAA register will give an address of the current owner and if Lisa inquires she may get lucky.
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry ... bertxt=9GW
If she wants to PM me with any other photos she has I'll try to ID the other Widgeon and see what I can find out about it.
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby MrWidgeon » Tue May 18, 2010 7:09 am

I had a small bell going off in the back of my head and finally remembered that I had just found a new photo of IJO a few days ago on Flickr.
It was taken in Winnipeg in 1970, so then IJO was rebuilt rather quickly.
It's posted in the main Widgeon list as well as here.

By the way, I replaced that original small 1967 photo with a larger one, same image, just bigger.
(And Lisa, if you read this and you get a newer photo I'd love to see it)
MrWidgeon

Postby seawings » Tue May 18, 2010 4:03 pm

TASSE wrote:Well Bryan lets see her photos please.

Roy.

Hi Roy,

Yes, I will do but right now I'm sitting in a hotel room in Hamburg, Germany!! The photos that Lisa sent were of the family with just one or two shots of the craft in question. But, it was very late and i had to get up at 3.30 AM....

Do it as soon as I get back at the week-end.

Cheers,
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
seawings
Site Admin

Postby seawings » Tue May 18, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi Bill,

I had a little bet with myself that you would come up trumps....................

Thanks Buddy! :D
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

seawings
Site Admin

Postby MrWidgeon » Tue May 18, 2010 5:04 pm

A hotel in Hamburg ?
You sly dog you.
Does the Mrs. know where you are ? :o

Re. CF-IJO, I have another shot of it taken much earlier in it's history, but I can't post that one due to copyright limitations.
MrWidgeon

Postby dogsbody » Tue May 18, 2010 8:42 pm

I've heard tales about some of the " night life " of Hamburg being more exciting than Amsterdam.

Bryan, have you been down near the docks?
You know what they say? What goes on in Hamburg, stays in Hamburg.
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby seawings » Fri May 21, 2010 4:18 pm

dogsbody wrote:I've heard tales about some of the " night life " of Hamburg being more exciting than Amsterdam.

Bryan, have you been down near the docks?
You know what they say? What goes on in Hamburg, stays in Hamburg.

Hi Chris,

You don't know how right you are! Just arrived back home just now after 36 hours with only 3 hours sleep! Air Berlin decided to cancel the flights out and then after a day send every one to Dusseldorf, arrive 10 pm in the evening and get up at 3.0AM to get to the airport again to catch the flight back to blighty.

Hamberg is gorgeous, beautiful parks, almost Japanese style water garden types and the architecture is stunning. It is the German equivalent of Cambridge, I'd say. Just goes to show what you can do with a lot of space so well. Lovely walks, wide roads, the infrastructure is virtually perfect. And, no grfity.

If those gardens were over here they wouldn't last a day without someone nicking the plants and some other person spraypainting the buildings......

As for the dock area, I never got there but it's all cafes and restaurants and the biggest shopping mall in Germany.

Off to Naples next week and Berlin the week after - with the Mrs...!!!!
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

seawings
Site Admin

Return to Grumman G-44 Widgeon Reference Archive