Maintenance Wants & Needs

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Maintenance Wants & Needs

Postby Rajay » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:33 pm

I know that probably most of the members & other people who read this forum are more likely to be just enthusiasts or modelers as opposed to actual owners, but I figure that there are potentially enough of them (owners) around to make it feasible and worthwhile to ask this question. What are the most pressing maintenance issues facing current Widgeon owners in particular? I'm most interested from the perspective of figuring out which legacy parts it might be most advantageous and practical to invest some effort in trying to reproduce. In other words, which parts specifically does their lack of current availability most impact Widgeon owners trying to maintain their own aircraft and keep them airworthy and flying?

I'm looking forward to the feedback.
Last edited by Rajay on Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rajay

Re: Maintenance Wants & Needs

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:15 pm

Hmmmm, interesting question and one I don't have an answer for.
I know one item that's in short supply ... tail wheels, but beyond that, no clue.
I'll put some feelers out and see what I can find.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby MrWidgeon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:23 pm

I've had a couple answers, but I'm waiting for a few more.

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby Rajay » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:25 pm

As Bill already knows since I shared it with him directly earlier this morning, just last night and quite separate from anything to do with this forum, I was contacted by a Widgeon owner I know in my area who wanted help with a couple of issues with his hydraulic system. He has a some worn components, the flap actuating cylinders and the unloader valve in particular, that are causing problems such as a split-flap condition where they do not go up and down either all the way or together - potentially quite dangerous.

And just the sort of things about which I was trying to learn via this thread. So far, his only options is to try to get the old parts overhauled by SLI in BC, Canada. I've heard of them and even talked to them a time or two in regard to similar issues with Gooses.

Still, if anybody else knows of other issues or problems with Widgeons, I'd love to hear about them. Sharing such knowledge is the best way we can all help each other out....
Rajay

Postby mdwflyer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:13 pm

SIL Industries http://www.silindustries.com

I was there last week, they fixed a condenser that was going to be hard to find a replacement for. They rebuilt some mags for my machine last spring.

They also had a set of Widgeon flap actuators on the shelf to go out to a west coast client.

I don't have a baseline for what wears, and what is hard to replace (I would say everything is hard to replace). We are just finishing up a heavy IRAN of the whole airplane, fortunately not really any surprises. Every time you touch something it could be a grounding item. Last week it was leaking flap selector (fortunately just needed O rings) That's a complicated little piece that you can't order from Aviall.

Mark
mdwflyer

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Boost pumps, starters, brake pucks, master cyl overhaul kits, a solid tail wheel, wheel bearings were some of the items mentioned when I asked Widgeon owners what they needed to keep their airplanes flying.
Other airframe items listed were a spare elevator and horizontal stabilizer.

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby mdwflyer » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:02 pm

More hours in the day would be my biggest need.
mdwflyer

Postby MrWidgeon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:08 pm

Don't we all. :D

Bill
MrWidgeon

Return to Grumman G-44 Widgeon Reference Archive