Alaska Grummans website

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Alaska Grummans website

Postby mdwflyer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:35 pm

mdwflyer

Re: Alaska Grummans website

Postby Rajay » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:54 pm

Are you ready to commit to flying CF-ODR up there for that? It looks to me from their photos as if they need more "Grummans" for their Grumman Fly-in and fewer Cessnas, etc.

I've been wanting to visit AK for a long time now and this is as good a reason as any - just don't know if it'll be in the cards by then or not.
Rajay

Postby mdwflyer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:07 pm

Rajay wrote:Are you ready to commit to flying CF-ODR up there for that? It looks to me from their photos as if they need more "Grummans" for their Grumman Fly-in and fewer Cessnas, etc.

I've been wanting to visit AK for a long time now and this is as good a reason as any - just don't know if it'll be in the cards by then or not.

:shock: I was just thinking it was some good pics for Bill and everyone to reference :D

Having said that, I just planned it out in foreflight, and Yes, I'd go. From here it would be the 135 knot cruise ship of a lifetime. Mind you the fuel bill will top $4k.

I started my first flying job in the Yukon in 1996, when my youngest son is a bit older for real wilderness I can't wait to stage the airplane out of Whitehorse for a summer of camping.
mdwflyer

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:11 am

I've been on their mailing list for about 3-4 years now.
Already nailed all the pics and have sent an ID on the "Mystery" Widgeon, but it hasn't been posted yet.
Guess I need to remind Bret again.

Of the Widgeons shown in the 1978 Big Lake fly in pictures most of the airplanes are still around (1 crashed [N1423], 1 is in a museum [N324BC] and 1 is under a long term rebuild [N17481].
The pilots haven't done as well, as far as I know only 2 are still with us; Oren Hudson and Steve Harvey, the rest have Gone West.

As for that trip to Alaska Mark. I would heartily recommend leaving from Seattle and going up through the San Juan Islands, up "The Cut" past Vancouver Island and Graham Island along the BC Coast to Ketchikan or Sitka and RON there.
Day 2 push on up the Alaska coast to Yakatat and Yakatat Bay, past Cape Yakataga and on up across the Copper River, then across Prince William Sound and in to Anchorage.
From there where ever your heart desires.
I did that run in a Widgeon in June 1999 and it was spectacular, you can drop down to whatever altitude you like and count bears (we saw 14) or moose just 2, a cow & calf) , just watch out for low flying eagles, we almost got one.
The scenery is jaw dropping and just when you think you've seen the most amazing thing in your life something else even better pops up.
If you need some ballast I'm available, I might even have some $$$ for lunch. :D

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby Rajay » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:17 pm

MrWidgeon wrote:As for that trip to Alaska Mark. I would heartily recommend leaving from Seattle and going up through the San Juan Islands, up "The Cut" past Vancouver Island and Graham Island along the BC Coast to Ketchikan or Sitka and RON there.
Day 2 push on up the Alaska coast to Yakatat and Yakatat Bay, past Cape Yakataga and on up across the Copper River, then across Prince William Sound and in to Anchorage.
From there where ever your heart desires.
I did that run in a Widgeon in June 1999 and it was spectacular, you can drop down to whatever altitude you like and count bears (we saw 14) or moose just 2, a cow & calf) , just watch out for low flying eagles, we almost got one.
The scenery is jaw dropping and just when you think you've seen the most amazing thing in your life something else even better pops up.
If you need some ballast I'm available, I might even have some $$$ for lunch. :D

Bill

Now, if ever there was something that absolutely demanded photographs to go along with the narrative! Surely, you have some to share, Bill....
Rajay

Postby Rajay » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:22 pm

And in that same vein, I recently found a cache of photos of N575L (G-44A s/n 1463) on the FlightAware.com site that I have really been enjoying. The one of it low over the fall foliage in AK is now my new desktop background. Apparently, they have a Go-Pro mini camera mounted on the left horizontal stab and have gotten really creative with catching sunbursts, low altitude perspectives, etc. Some really amazing shots - all with the left wing and left side of the fuselage of N575L in the right foreground....

http://flightaware.com/photos/aircraft/N575L

Enjoy...
Rajay

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:27 pm

Yeah, found 'em a week or so back when they first popped up.
I check into FlightAware every day, not that many seaplanes, but some great av. pictures.
Do a search for Grumman Widgeons and you get about 60 images.

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:38 pm

We left kind of late in the afternoon and the ride to Sitka was such a head rush I forgot I even had the camera bag in the back (had to hang the props, do a ground check and a quick flight test first, then scoot up to San Juan Island and stop for gas, next stop Ketchican).
I didn't shoot anything until day 2.
I haven't scanned them yet, but one day if I get a chance (& can remember)....... :roll:
MrWidgeon

Postby N63350JR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:06 pm

My wife and I were able to get up to Alaska this summer and attend the fly in this year.

350 couldn't be there, but we had a great time hanging out with dad and meeting several of the folks.

I'm already planning my next trip north to help put the airplane together, and hopefully we'll be able to bring it back for the 2015 fly in.
N63350JR

Return to Grumman G-44 Widgeon Reference Archive