Info to make purchase.

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Re: Info to make purchase.

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:03 pm

I'm not sure if it was a Grumman or US Navy development, but (IIRC) all G-44As & SCANS left the factory with the tunnel vents.
Most of the surviving G-44s and J4Fs were converted as well.
Some were probably done by McKinnon, but most were done by local shops to Grumman specs.
Later on a lot of them went to a lower profile vent that was totally contained below the floor (the top of the original version stuck up above the floor level maybe an inch).
McKinnon got the idea for the Goose from the Widgeon.
A slightly modified version of the tunnel vents were used on both the Mallard and Albatross, both took in air via the wheel wells and had the outlets aft of the step.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby SeaplaneWorks » Thu May 16, 2013 6:47 am

scubachris wrote:Again, thanks for the advice. I work in deep water exploration and go to school for it. Graduate in December(finally) and already have a couple of job offers. What I have always wanted was a seaplane that I could use to go island hopping/scuba diving. It doesn't have to be a Widgeon, but I think it would be the best for what I want. I am open to suggestions on different options. As long as the plane can be flown solo. My plan is to start on my training to fly. There is a guy local who can take me through everything. He also owns a couple of DC3s so I can even practice on nose up planes. I realize it will come as a pretty penny, and maybe once I start it will be to much; however,I would rather regret spending money than not following a dream. Plus...it isn't like this is going to happen overnight. As my childhood hero once said, "The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."

Chris,

That is wonderful dream to have and I do wish you the best of luck with it!!! Besides all of Bill's great advice I would also throw out there that I am not a scuba diver but I do believe that there is some regulations or "practices" regarding how long you have to wait after you dive before you fly again. Just something to maybe be aware of and plan around when you get there.

Mark
SeaplaneWorks

Postby SeaplaneWorks » Thu May 16, 2013 6:58 am

MrWidgeon wrote:I'm not sure if it was a Grumman or US Navy development, but (IIRC) all G-44As & SCANS left the factory with the tunnel vents.
Most of the surviving G-44s and J4Fs were converted as well.
Some were probably done by McKinnon, but most were done by local shops to Grumman specs.
Later on a lot of them went to a lower profile vent that was totally contained below the floor (the top of the original version stuck up above the floor level maybe an inch).
McKinnon got the idea for the Goose from the Widgeon.
A slightly modified version of the tunnel vents were used on both the Mallard and Albatross, both took in air via the wheel wells and had the outlets aft of the step.

Bill

I do believe that the tunnel vents were incorporated later in the production and retrofitted into the earlier ones. I say this as I do have the Grumman Engineering drawing for the vents. With this being said, I do also believe that McKinnon did modify the original vents to more of a "low-profile" design that did not protrude above the floorboards in the cabin (yup went and looked and I do have that drawing as well). N612GW (previously N144GW) did have these vents installed when I purchased it but it was amazing how restrictive they were and as such the original Grumman vents are now re-installed.

Mark
SeaplaneWorks

Postby MrWidgeon » Thu May 16, 2013 9:25 am

The prototype A model didn't have them when rolled out, but I believe they were fitted on it and every A model built at the factory.
I only have photos of 2 A models without them 1401 & 1403.
It was done very early in the production run and the very few built without them were retrofitted.
I believe the earlier G-44s had them retrofitted per a Grumman repair notice, most early 44s were converted, but not all.
Is there a date on those drawings ?

There has been a lot of experimentation regarding the lower profile vents by past owners/operators trying to get rid of the floor humps.
A flatter floor made for easier cargo handling.
N63350 cn 1387 has signs of being used in that way, it has a flat floor, but it also has doublers inside the side vent opening skins that have been drilled for covers (see the Walk Around of 350 on the Seawings Home site).
We think it was used to test various size openings by someone on the past.
Grumman did it that way for a reason, having said that, if you can keep the amount of airflow through the vents the same as the original spec then it shouldn't make much difference how they're routed through the fuselage.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Previous

Return to Grumman G-44 Widgeon Reference Archive