Rochester NY - new center of Widgeon universe?

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Re: Rochester NY - new center of Widgeon universe?

Postby MrWidgeon » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:40 pm

I knew and that's why I took full advantage of what was offered to me.
It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to gain knowledge, meet people and have a huge load of fun doing it.
So I grabbed it and hung on for all I was worth and it was well worth the effort.
The rides were fun, but the knowledge gained was priceless and the friends I made then I still have.
I will NEVER regret going to that splash-in up at Bellingham, WA, because that's were it all started.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby Rajay » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:10 am

SeaplaneWorks wrote:Hey everyone!!!

I just thought I would take this as an opportunity to introduce myself.

Rajay is correct that Seaplane Works did purchase all of the STCs that were formally owned by Ace Aviation. Furthermore, Rochester Amphibian did purchase the inventory of Widgeon parts from Aircraft Specialties in Ft Pierce, FL (formally Mirabella) which included N52833 and N890. The original plan was then to rebuild (from the ground up) two Widgeons and then keep any remaining parts as spares. As the project started maturing, the financial picture started to really get out of hand and the projects were cancelled. At this point of cancellation, the purchase of N612GW (aka N144GW) was made.

We are also not going to start a business of rebuilding Widgeons as there are already people doing that. However, I do see that we are possibly at another changing of the guard with this airplane as the last generation is gradually retiring and all of those years of experience lost. With this, I urge everyone to do what they can to maintain this fading knowledge and keep them in the air and on the water!!!

Mark

As much as I admire and respect Bill's knowledge and experience with Widgeons, it seems to me that this thread has gotten a little bit off track. :roll:

Mark, I can't remember if I asked you this already (it's been quite a while since we talked "off board") but when you acquired the former "McKinnon" STCs for the G-44 series from Ace Aviation, did they happen to include a full set of copies of original Grumman engineering drawings and blueprints for the whole airplane - in digital scan or microfiche formats for example?

I know from experience that the official FAA engineering data package for the McKinnon G-21 series type certificate (4A24) and associated/related STCs included such drawings for the Goose - and they are essentially the exact same set of "archived" microfiche copies of all of the drawings associated with the US Navy models JRF-1 through JRF-6B (ordered for the British through US Navy procurement channels) even though McKinnon reportedly also had direct access to and contacts with Grumman's own engineering department in the 1950's and 1960's.

By comparison of course, the Navy also operated their own versions of the Widgeon - the J4F-2. So, I figured that the same might be true of the Widgeon STC data package.

-Dave
Rajay

Postby SeaplaneWorks » Thu May 16, 2013 6:03 am

N63350JR wrote:There are a few of the younger crowd that maintain a dedicated interest in these airplanes.
I for example am 33, grew up in one, and after a bit of a life detour am working my way towards obtaining a type rating and eventually Widgeon ownership.

There's a long way to go, and I'm still not quite sure how I'm going to be able to afford this, but the determination is there.

That is great news!!! You are right though that when you go up around the airplanes it is hard not to take it for granted. I did the exact same thing but did not realize it until I sold the airplane that my grandfather had. With that, my recommendation to anyone that owns a Widgeon is to never sell it as you will undoubtedly regret it as I have......

Mark
SeaplaneWorks

Previous

Return to Grumman G-44 Widgeon Reference Archive