The Mallard .... by the numbers

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Re: The Mallard .... by the numbers

Postby MrWidgeon » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:40 pm

Seems I've been lazy again, so here's a few new ones.

J-12 NC 29493, Photo courtesy of Tasse.

J-13 JZ-POB.

J-14 N2954.

J-17 PK-AKH.

J-18 N2958.

More to come.
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:12 pm

Okay, so I'm a slacker.
Whatta you want for nothing .........

J-19 CF-HWG.

J-19 C-GEFE.

J-20 No images.

J-21 CF-MHG 1

J-21 C-FMHG 2

J-22 CF-HUB, early.

J-22 C-FHUB, Air BC Blue.

J-22 C-FHUB Air BC Red.

J-22 VH-LAW.

J-22 VH-PPE.

Alright, you got some extras this time around.
MrWidgeon

Postby flyernzl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Additional info on J.13
This spent time in New Zealand as ZK-CDV 1963 to 1969

ZK-CDV at Invercargill

More info and photos on this Mallard by my friend Dave P here:
http://nzcivair.blogspot.co.nz/2012/09/ ... k-cdv.html
flyernzl

Postby Kenny » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:30 am

I had thought it might be interesting to note a bit about the history (where known) of these Ladies, to go along with the images, to tell the story; flesh to the bones...

I may be an amateur researcher, but with my work centreing/centering (I should cater for you American folks too ;) ) on events in Burma in 1944, I am all too aware that history should not be viewed through rose-tinted glasses: records tend to show more about the worst kind of news than the best...

This is getting ahead of Mr W's fine work but this could be part of what I mean as it relates to J27 and J51; both operated by Chalks...

Chalks International/Ocean had a fine record as you will probably know but that was first blemished in 1994 with the loss of J51/N150FB... The first link being the basic referencing at the NTSB with a link on the page to an expanded report, but not the full transcription; not found out if that's available online yet. The second link is to a news report from the time...

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001206X00946&key=1
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1994-03-19/news/9403190066_1_seaplane-cartwheeled-navy-divers

Something for J27/N2969, when she comes up, is her rather sad demise and a harsh lesson for all ventures/venturers... this is the NTSB report that resulted in the end of one of America's oldest and longest running aviation ventures...

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2007/AAR0704.pdf
Kenny

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks for the links Kenny.
They all made for interesting & sobering reading (especially the NTSB report on J-27).
I prefer not to get into accident investigations for several reasons.
I may make note of a crash at times regarding a particular airplane, but in the main I prefer not to go deeper.
Most of the information is available on line to those who may want to search it out.
A search of the FAA or NTSB data bases will provide at least the basics for almost any crash in the US in the last 50+ years.
In the cases of J-27 and J-51 I had a person link of sorts to both airplanes.
I knew the airplane & crew of J-27 (back in the early 60s when it was N200S) and crawled all over the airplane (inside & out) when I was a kid.
It's lose to me was like losing an old friend.
In the case of J-51 I knew the co-pilot who was on his last check ride prior to being moved into the left seat.
But the main reason I don't go into such things is that once something is put on line, it's there for keeps.
If an error is made or something is misquoted it can (and has) been taken as gospel and I don't want to be the source of a misstatement or erroneous report.
(Ask any modeler about the color blue on the famous P-51D "Lou IV" - it wasn't blue it was green, but film deterioration and sun angle have made 2 generations of P-51 fans swear it was blue.)
I don't want to be a possible source of a similar future argument.
And lastly I avoid such postings out of respect for those lost.
Being an airport bum and ramp rat I have been around airplanes my whole life and have lost more than a few friends in accidents.
As one on the edge of the business I follow the traditions of grieve, laugh, hoist a cup in honor, read the report, then move on while holding the memories tightly.

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby Kenny » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:10 pm

I can understand and respect that, Bill, especially when you have had direct contact with both crew and airframe... it makes a significant difference... I get that from talking to Asia veterans on those rare occasions that the talk...

My own aviation experience (mostly instruments/avionics) ended in my twenties and I have not worked on an aircraft in over 31 years now... smallest beasties I worked on were Ethiopian and Omani 720's, the latter being the Sultan's personal aircraft; in reality I used to fix busses for British Airways... the last aircraft I am aware of having had experience of working on were the rather noisey pointy ladies... there is still one of them at Heathrow, mouldering away and rather unloved... a very sad sight... where once was a rather elegant scale model of Concorde on the entrance roundabout of Heathrow there now sits a rather bloated A380...

Post on and let those that have hands on knowledge, especially personal anecdotes and good memories of these Ladies put them up, and where they have passed on to the great recycling yard in the sky or, in the case of a tragedy, a brief line recording the passing... anyone that has an interest can find further details the same way any of us can...

I've always "gendered" aircraft; I just hate to see "it" used...

PS one of my earlier "custom" kits was a Duck made up to match one used by Peter O'Toole... ;)
Kenny

Postby MrWidgeon » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:23 am

flyernzl wrote:Additional info on J.13
This spent time in New Zealand as ZK-CDV 1963 to 1969

Yep, I have it with that registration and most of the other 8 registrations it's had as well.
( Need in Red, have in Black - CF-FFG,PK-AKG, JZ-POB, VH-TGA, ZK-CDV, VQ-FBC, N2442H, C-GRZI & N2950)
MrWidgeon

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:29 am

J-23 this time, only 3 photos though.

J-23 N2964, named Patricia.

J-23, now registered C-GHDD, but still named Patricia.

J-23 now VH-PPI with the Paspaley Pearls turbine conversion.

Next time J-24.
MrWidgeon

Postby MrWidgeon » Sun May 26, 2013 12:23 pm

I've been slacking again, Sorry.
As promised, J-24.
A one owner Mallard, purchased new by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in March, 1947 registered N2965 and named "Black Mallard".
Approaching it's home base ramp near Vicksburg, Mississippi ........

Coming up .........

And out.

In flight.

J-24, N2965 disappeared somewhere over the Gulf of Alaska on a flight from Anchorage to Kodiak Island in September, 1974.
No trace of the airplane was ever found or the 4 souls on board including pilot Joe Clesi, a family friend.
MrWidgeon

Postby MrWidgeon » Sun May 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Since it's been a while ........
J-26.

N2966, early on. Photo courtesy of Tasse.

C-GHUM, Air BC red scheme.

VH-JAW, Air Whitsunday. Photo courtesy of Tasse.

VH-PPT, Paspaley Pearling.

Next time another old friend that ended in a tragedy - J-27.
MrWidgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Grumman G-73 Mallard Reference Archive