The Mallard .... by the numbers

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

The Mallard .... by the numbers

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Going to do the same thing with the Mallard that I've done with the Widgeon.
The Model G-73 Construction Numbers (C/N or c/n) started with the letter "J".
Here we go ............

J-1 NC 41824, the prototype, a color image from Popular Mechanics Magazine.

J-2 CF-BKE, this airplane is still around now on the US register in better than new condition.

J-3 No photos yet.

J-4 N121SP, May, 1976, Photo courtesy of Tasse.

J-5 C6-BDW, Photo courtesy of Tasse.

J-6 N7306, in service with Chalks circa 1973.

More to follow as I have photos of most of them.
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Re: The Mallard .... by the numbers

Postby N63350JR » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:19 am

Marvelous Bill, simply marvelous!

Let me dig around and see if I can contribute to this thread.
N63350JR

Postby MrWidgeon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:12 am

Be interesting to see if you have something I DON'T have.
What I really don't have is anything on the following :
J-3, J-15, J-16, J-20, J-25, J-39, J-46, J-47, J-58 and J-59.
I have photos of all 49 of the other J numbers, some with as many as 50+ on one airplane, some as little as 1.
(And I haven't scanned a single page from the book "Grumman Mallard - The Enduring Classic" ....... yet.)
I'm constantly searching the web for anything related to Grumman amphibs so I find stuff fairly often and a lot of it is Mallard related due to it's air carrier usage.

For continuity re-size any photos you come up with to no larger than 800 X ---- , it makes for a neater page and easier to view.
Anything larger than that and some folks have trouble seeing them.

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby MrWidgeon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:42 pm

To continue ..........

J-7 CF-HPA, in Pacific Western Airlines colors, crashed March 1974.

J-8 N2945, this airplane has had only 2 owners in it's entire life, still current.

J-9 NC 2946, when new, damaged beyond repair and broken up in 1994.

J-10 N26DF, in Antilles Air Boats colors, stored in parts, no recent report.

J-11 NC 2948, as Texaco 11 in 1948.

I'll be back.
Last edited by MrWidgeon on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrWidgeon

Postby Cameraman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:16 am

Mornin' Mr W,

my local aviation archivist (who covers aircraft movements from Manchester Airport, England), has asked if anyone has any images of G-ASCS Mallard (con number J-55) that were taken at Manchester Airport during the 1960's? The airport was formally known as Ringway.

So I wonder, with your extensive records, do you have such an images?

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:55 am

I don't have anything on G-ASCS in the computer folder for J-55, but that doesn't mean too much.
Right now I'm in the process of packing for a move next month and I can't find my (paper) Mallard files, if I run across them I'll see what they have.
If I remember correctly, there was a small photo of it that sold recently on eBay, I was thinking about it, but passed.
MrWidgeon

Postby Cameraman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:38 am

Hi Mr W,

thanks for that.

Here's wishing you an uneventful and smooth move!

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby Rajay » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:57 pm

MrWidgeon wrote:To continue ..........

J-9 NC 29461, when new, damaged beyond repair and broken up in 1994.

I'll be back.

Bill, what additional info do you have about J-9 or this photo in particular. The only clues regarding the date and location of the photo that I saw are the sign on the side of the building that says "J. J. Little & Ives, Bookbinders" and the low, dark structure on the shoreline just above the Mallard's left engine that seems to say "NEW YORK CENTE(R)" (but the "R" is either cut-off or blocked.)

From what little I could find online about J. J. Little & Ives, Bookbinders, they were a publishing company at 2 - 20 Astor Place in New York City (which is literally in the center of lower Manhattan, near Greenwich Village and Washington Square Park, just north of Houston St - and nowhere near the water, either the Hudson or the East River!) The company supposedly goes back at least as far as 1908 but apparently their heyday was in the 1930's - still a long before the time the Mallards came into being in the late 1940's/early 1950's.

Also, I don't see a "1" on the registration number on the tail - just NC2946. Did a "1" get added later?
Rajay

Postby Rajay » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:11 pm

MrWidgeon wrote:Going to do the same thing with the Mallard that I've done with the Widgeon.
The Model G-73 Construction Numbers (C/N or c/n) started with the letter "J".
Here we go ............

J-2 CF-BKE, this airplane is still around now on the US register in better than new condition.

That registration (CF-BKE) looks familiar to a "Goose" guy like me. According to my notes, the original owner of the very first Grumman G-21A*, i.e. serial number 1013 (*as opposed to the earlier "plain" G-21 models) starting in May 1938 was a guy in Canada named "J. Bickell" who was associated in some way with "McIntyre-Porcupine Mines" and that Goose was registered as CF-BKE until it was later taken over by the RCAF during the war as serial no. 924.

After the war and passing through a couple of other owners in the interim, in 1954 it was purchased by the Halliburton Oil Well Cementing Co. (later just the Halliburton Co.) in Oklahoma and re-registered as N121H. It was while they still owned it that McKinnon converted it into a turbine model G-21E (s/n 1211) in May 1970.

In any case, I was just wondering if this Mallard, because of the same registration, also had some connection to the McIntyre-Porcupine Mines. On the other hand, the logo on the left engine cowling looks like an "OP" with a pine or fir tree symbol.
Rajay

Postby MrWidgeon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:09 pm

J-2 was originally sold to the same J.P. Bickell, owner of McIntire- Porcupine Mines Ltd..
He owned it about a year and a half before selling it to one Andrew P. Holt who in turn sold it to Ontario Paper Co.(that explains the OP) in 1958.
They operated for many years as BKE, it's now registered in the U.S. as N12YZ.
I have photos of it in it's current livery, but I don't have the owners permission to use them, so ........

J-9 was originally used as a Grumman demonstrator, the scene is somewhere in New York City.
There were several seaplane ramps in the city in the late 40s, I don't know which one this was.
Grumman sold it to the 20th Century Fox movie company and it was used in the movie "Slattery's Hurricane".
From there in 1954 it went to Canada with Pacific Western Airlines as CF-HPU, (later BC Air & PWA again) they used it until 1975 when it was sold to Chalks.
Re-registered as N123DF and flown by Chalks until it was sold to Fred Frakes & converted to turbines.
From there it went to Virgin Island Seaplane Shuttle as N609SS.
After the demise of V.I.S.S. the airplane went through a series of owners until it was damaged beyond repair after being blown ashore while at anchor off the shore of Venezuela in 1994.
It was dismantled and stored, but probably later broken up and scrapped.

The "1" was added much later ..... by me :oops: now corrected.
(I really do proof read this stuff before I post it, but sometimes .....)

Bill
MrWidgeon

Next

Return to Grumman G-73 Mallard Reference Archive