chalk,s 3 turbine mallards

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

chalk,s 3 turbine mallards

Postby makemyday » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:25 pm

hi flying boat fans !

i found this site below in the web. the tragic chalks crash of an mallard in 2005 has endet the boatplane and chalks ära. does chalks exist at the moment? anybody infos?

anyway i found this site and there only pics and parts list in separate files no informations whats happend with the 3 demounted mallards.

has anybody informations whats going on at the moment with this 3 most beautiful seaplanes ??

here the link with many pics in files inside

http://www.seaplaneadventures.us/

hope of more infos

makemyday
makemyday

Re: chalk,s 3 turbine mallards

Postby MrWidgeon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:56 am

The last I heard and I may be wrong is that all but 1 of the Turbine Mallards in the U.S. are still grounded pending a resolution on the way to check the wing center section for cracks.
The FAA want all new center sections built and that's a very expensive undertaking and could cost over 1 million dollars per airplane.
There is one Turbine Mallard still flying in the U.S. that had already had a new center section built before the crash of N2969 and it was exempted from the grounding.
The Mallards operated by Paspally Pearls are not affected by the grounding since they've all had center section exams or rebuilds.
The remaining piston engined Mallards are also exempt and most are still airworthy.
As for the remains of the Chalks and their airplanes, Chalks went out of business shortly after the accident after the FAA cancelled their operating certificate.
The airplanes 4 airplanes (N130FB - J30, N2974 - J36, N142PA - J42, N1208 - J44) and other assets are (as far as I know) being held to be used as compensation in any pending law suits.
The problem is nobody want to buy an airplane they can't fly.
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby makemyday » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:15 am

hi,
bad news... :o the one turbine mallard whitch is still flying ist this a complete white one, she is offered for sale for 1,5 millions? ore an other one, i have here a website

http://mallardaviation.com/index1.htm

or is this the one how is fliying?

the 3 mallards on the pics from the website i,l postet where they locatet at the moment? and why 4 i can see on the pics only 3

regards from germany

makemyday
makemyday

Postby MrWidgeon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:09 pm

The one you posted the link to is VP-CLK (J34) and it isn't based in the U.S. .
I don't know if it had a new center section installed or if it's exempted from the grounding due to being foreign owned.
It is a well maintained airplane and has flown all over the world.
The one Turbine Mallard still flying in the U.S. that I'm aware of is N730RS (J50).
There are 4 airplanes in the list, 3 that were still flying with Chalks (N130FB, N2974 & N142PA) and one that had been previously grounded for a complete rebuild (N1208).
Check your link again, they're all there.
MrWidgeon

Postby makemyday » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:51 pm

hi,
you wrote
"3 that were still flying with Chalk"
what? or do i missunderstud?
they all not in flying condition where they are, thats my interest i can not find out infos on the web site
and the one for restoration is where? no infos available?

regards
mmd
makemyday

Postby MrWidgeon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:02 pm

There were 2 Mallards still flying when Chalks was closed down (N130FB, N142PA), 2 other airplanes were in the process of a complete rebuild (N2974, N1208).
Since the time Chalks was closed the 2 flyable airplanes (N130FB, N142PA) have been partially disassembled, to make storing them easier.
Going by the information attached in the photographs all 4 airplanes and their parts along with other Chalks assets are stored in Davie, Florida.
Photos of all 4 airplanes and the move from the Chalks hangar at Fort Lauderdale Airport to Davie are in the attached link from that site you sent earlier.

http://www.seaplaneadventures.us/files/ ... vie,%20FL/

Bill
MrWidgeon

Postby makemyday » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:38 pm

ok, that was in 2009 long time ago... you know more about the actual situation? whats happened with the parts and planes and davie is big, hangared at the airport? whats ive somebody is interest at the planes and parts...

regards
mmd
makemyday

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:18 am

I don't know the current situation for all of the airplanes and parts.
But checking the FAA Registry I found that N2974, N142PA and N1208 have all had their registrations cancelled in 2010.
N130FB was registered to a new owner in 2010, but that temporary registration was due to expire at the end of June 2011.
As for the 3 de-registered airplanes, their needed airframe parts and spare parts inventory, sorry, I have no idea of their availability, condition or current location.
I live in Idaho, 3/4ths of the way across the U.S. from the airplanes, so I have no direct contact with them and have to try to trace them on line.
If you are asking about someone buying the airplanes, I don't know who to contact, I would guess you could try the current listed owners and see if they still have them and want to sell.
MrWidgeon

Postby seawings » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:16 am

All I want is a decent, accurate 3-view plan of the G-73.

Do you think I can find it...? No.

This is rapidly turning into my obsession, as I really want to model one of them.

Any one know of a really good set?
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby makemyday » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:00 am

hi,

idaho?

no problem... found via google, price schould 1,5 to 1,8 millions seller locatet in idaho

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetai ... ID=1174436

regards
makemyday

Next

Return to Grumman G-73 Mallard Reference Archive