Open for Goose business

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Open for Goose business

Postby Rajay » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:47 am

Hello everyone,

I don't know why I waited so long because I have been aware of this forum for quite some time, but I only just recently joined it. I work with, around, for, and on behalf of Gooses every day and I am interested in discussing them with anyone else who has a similar interest. My personal expertise is in regard to the McKinnon conversions, turbine and otherwise.

BTW: I already "know" Mr. Widgeon and have "chatted" with him on several occasions via e-mail.

That being said, I am very much interested in finding out more about which Gooses (by Grumman c/n) were used by the JMSDF in Japan and by the French in Indochina and later in New Caledonia and Algeria.

I have already been able to identify one of the JMSDF Gooses in the Steve Ginter Naval Fighters No. 63 Grumman Goose book. JMSDF 9013 can be seen to be carrying a stencil under the tail that reads "JRF-5" and "731" - that makes it ex-USN BuAer No. 87731, which was Grumman c/n B-125. That aircraft was converted by McKinnon Enterprises, Inc. in 1970 to become the second and last "real" G-21G, s/n 1226, N70AL. (I've actually had a chance to fly it around a little bit about two years ago when the owner dropped by to visit on his way to or from Florida...)

Tom Danaher of Wichita Falls, TX actually bought 87731 as surplus from the US Army depot in Japan in 1968, brought it back to the US, and then sold it to McKinnon in 1969. Supposedly, the Goose that Tom himself has owned since 1964 was also obtained in Japan, but I haven't had a chance yet to ask him if it was in fact one of the others listed in the Ginter book.

I don't even have a clue about the French Gooses; if anybody is able to enlighten me in that regard, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rajay

Re: Open for Goose business

Postby MrWidgeon » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:03 pm

I have the numbers of 3 of the 4 Gooses used by the JMSDF.
JMSDF # :
9011 - Bu# 84797
9012 - Bu# 35921
9013 - Bu# 87731
9014 - ?
That help any ?

As far as the French Gooses ................
That's almost as big a Black Hole as the USAAC Gooses.
I've got photos of a few, but no Bu# connections.
There are a few here ........ http://www.frenchwings.net/Indochine/gallery/
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby Rajay » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:25 pm

Thanks very much! That does add two more little pieces to my Goose puzzle:

9011 = 84797 = c/n B-92 (final fate still unknown - maybe it never left Japan or maybe Tom Danaher will have a clue. See below.)

9012 = 35921 = c/n 1188 (last civilian G-21A built, impressed as USAAC OA-13B s/n 45-49089, later transferred to USN as JRF-4 BuAer. 35921. Dick Probert tried to buy it as surplus in Japan but got fed up with the red tape. Instead, Tom Danaher bought it in 1963, eventually got it back to the US, and has owned it ever since as N291VW)

9013 = 87731 = c/n B-125 (purchased as surplus from US Army Depot - Japan in September 1968 by Tom Danaher. Brought back to the US and sold to McKinnon Enterprises Inc. in August 1969. Converted to McKinnon G-21G with 680 shp PT6A-27 engines in March 1970. Subsequently owned by US Plywood-Champion Papers Inc. - which became Champion International Corp.- and later Chevron Oil, among others. Still flying these days and based in Michigan now)

9014 = ? still a mystery.

By the way Bill, I got your e-mail with the scans of the Air International article I requested. Thanks for that, too!
Rajay

Postby MrWidgeon » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:31 am

Glad I could help, (We're here to serve).
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby Rajay » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:40 pm

This is by way of a "bump" for this old thread. It sure seems like the "conversations" here under the Grumman Goose forum are limited to me, Bill B. (Mr. Widgeon) and just a few other friends and enthusiasts. It'd sure be nice if some others could contribute - or even just feel free to ask questions about the Goose.

It may be a very old design - and I was going to say that nevertheless it is somewhat "timeless" but I decided to change that. It's actually not "timeless" in the sense that an original or "stock" Goose is actually quite dated in terms of its design and appearance - but in a very good and "classic" sense. It so clearly embodies the essence of the 1930's and the "Golden Age" of aviation in general and flyingboats in particular.

I've had the personal pleasure of meeting and/or talking to many current Goose owners and more than one has told me that it is his favorite airplane. It often has been repeated that if they actually own more than one airplane, the Goose is their overall favorite. Hal Beale of On Mark Aviation in Knoxville, TN told me that (several years ago) and even went further to say that his Goose (he owned N150M, McKinnon G-21D, s/n 1251) was the only aircraft he ever owned that would do just about anything he needed it to do or handle just about any mission with no compromises.

Although it's been a while since I talked to Chuck Greenhill last, just the other day I found a video of an interview with him on YouTube.com - here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfjx5e04Glc

The direction, editing, and general production values are not all that creative or original, but it is interesting to hear Chuck discuss his passion for airplanes and warbirds - and his Goose in particular. Chuck is known for his award-winning restorations of a P-51D Mustang or two and an actual Grumman-built J2F-4 Duck (which is rare since Grumman turned over most of the later Duck production to Columbia Aircraft just as most of the surviving Wildcat fighters are actually models FM-2 built by the Eastern Aircraft division of General Motors.) Chuck also has a Hawker Sea Fury, too. However, in the video he states that if he had to give up all of his aircraft except for one, it'd be the Goose, which is his overall favorite to fly.

Now that just has to pique your interest in the Goose, doesn't it? Here's a guy who has owned and flown P-51D Mustangs and a Hawker Sea Fury, yet his all-time, overall favorite is an antique, lumbering , cantankerous, old Grumman Goose! :D
Rajay

Return to Grumman G-21 Goose Reference Archive