Goose News

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Goose News

Postby Rajay » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:27 pm

Goose News – Gooses on the move

As of May 17, 2013, N888GG, Grumman G-21A Goose serial no. B-70, formerly owned by and registered to Ronald J. Rivett of Aberdeen, SD (co-founder of the Super 8 Motel chain) was re-registered and presumably sold to:

Paul Charles Ehlen
571 Inverness Trail
Hamilton, MT 59840-9298

Mr. Ehlen (currently age 51, born in 1961) is co-founder and president of Precision Lens in Minneapolis, MN. He started the company in March of 1991. Previously, he founded Midwest Surgical Services, a mobile cataract company. Paul and his wife Katy have four children and live in Bloomington, MN. In his spare time, Paul enjoys flying, hunting, fishing, golfing and skiing.

Based in Bloomington, Minnesota, Precision Lens was incorporated as The Cameron-Ehlen Group, Inc., doing business as Precision Lens on March 27, 1991. The Company, founded by Ken Cameron and Paul Ehlen, started as a distributor of intraocular lenses (IOL) and viscoelastics used in ophthalmic surgery to facilities in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, and eastern Wisconsin.

At the time, Paul Ehlen was also a founding owner of Midwest Surgical Services, Inc., a provider of ophthalmic equipment, supplies and services to rural health care facilities in the Midwest. In 1998, Midwest Surgical was sold to Laser Vision Centers, Inc. (now TLC Vision, Inc.) a national public eye care services company.

Mr. Ehlen is also, since 2011, the owner of N1751D, North American / Aero Classics P-51D-20-NA “Mustang” serial no. 122-31401 (US Army serial no. 44-63675) which has been carrying dual markings as “Sierra Sue II” and “Gul Kalle”, squadron codes E6-D, 402nd FS, 370th FG, 9th AF, in Italy during World War II – the actual markings it carried in combat at the time.

Since buying it in Sept. 2011, Mr. Ehlen has had the Mustang undergoing a major restoration to its original and as historically accurate configuration as possible. The restoration work is being accomplished by Erik Hokuf’s award-winning Aircorps Aviation in Bemidji, MN.

Grumman G-21A Goose OEM serial no. B-70 was built in July 1944 for the US Navy as a model JRF-5, BuAer. 37817. Later in the war, it was transferred to the RCAF in Canada as serial no. 390. After the war, it went on the civil register as CF-ETJ, later C-FETJ. To Queen Charlottes Airlines 1953-1954. Canadian Forest Products, 1955. BNP Airways. West Coast Transport 1958-1976. Canadian Forest Products 1976-1982. To Air Pac, Anchorage AK as N2889J in 1982? Sold to Ronald J. Rivett, Aberdeen, SD. Dec. 4, 1987 and re-registered as N888GG; sold to Paul C. Ehlen, Hamilton, MT May 17, 2013.
Rajay

Re: Goose News - Gooses on the move

Postby Rajay » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Well, not really "moving" but rather just being re-registered under a new name:

N703, Grumman G-21A Goose serial no. B-81 formerly registered but still owned by John W. Pletcher III of Anchorage, AK has been re-registered as of April 29, 2013, to B-81 LLC at the same address as before. I suspect that the reason for the change is directly related to what was mentioned in the older thread about its video on Youtube.com - that Mr. Pletcher last year started offering the use of his Goose for type-specific training in the Anchorage area and for liability purposes did not want it still registered to him personally.

Built for US Navy as JRF-5, BuAer serial 37828. Accepted 31Aug44 and delivered 12Sep44; MCAS Santa Barbara 23Sep44; ACORNTRADET Port Hueneme Mar46; NAS Alameda Jul46 for reconditioning; Pool NAS Alameda Jan47; Pool BAR Bethpage 29Jul47; Pool A&T NAS Quonset Point May48; NAS Norfolk Aug48; 5th ND NAS Norfolk by Jan50; NAS Norfolk 31Mar50 awaiting overhaul; NAS Quonset Point 02Jun50 for overhaul; allocated NAF Annapolis 11Mar51 but apparently not delivered until circa May51; NAS Quonset Point 04Dec52 for modernization and modification to JRF-6 (to JRF-6X 05Jan53 and JRF-6 15Jun53); NAF Annapolis 07Jul53; declared surplus at Annapolis 29Feb56 and SOC 09Mar56 (TT=2,635hrs);

(*I've been asked before about such notes claiming that some US Navy model JRF-5 aircraft, even though they never served with the British, were later re-designated as US Navy model JRF-6 aircraft. Aside from these service records of about a dozen individual aircraft, I have never ever seen anywhere else anything about this issue. I can only speculate that it may have had something to do with removing the camera well in the belly of the JRF-5 and installing a "solid" belly with straight-run control cables just as was used in most other Goose models, such as the civilian G-21A, the Army's OA-9, the Coast Guards's JRF-2 and JRF-3 aircraft, and the British JRF-6B in particular, which were actually ordered / procured through the US Navy.)

Registered as N703 to US Department of Interior, Washington, DC, 1956; operated by Alaska Department of Fish & Game. Probably really just the Fish & Wildlife Service of the USDI; most ex-FWS Gooses taken over by ADFG were re-registered with an extra “1” appended to their previous registrations, as for examples N721 (s/n B-24) became N7211, N725 (s/n B-28) became N7251, N782 (s/n B-47) became N7821, N781 (s/n B-122) became N7811, and N704 (s/n B-142) became N7041 - but N703 never became N7031.

Registered to Norman E. Brunquist, Anchorage, AK by 1977, left derelict at Lake Spenard until 1990. After Mr. Brunquist died, his family sold N703 to John Pletcher and between June 1994 and February 1996, it underwent a major restoration to its original wartime configuration. At this time, it seems to be the only Goose still in existence that is equipped with its original underwing bomb racks, although it usually sports auxiliary fuel “drop” tanks mounted on those racks.
Rajay

Re: Goose News

Postby Rajay » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Yesterday, I found this gallery of "recent" photos of N888GG, s/n B-70, posted back in July 2013 on the Web site of Erik Hokuf's Aircorps Aviation in Bemidji, MN, who as I mentioned earlier handles the restoration & maintenance of the current owner's other warbird aircraft as well.

Always good to see 'em still in action! :D

http://www.aircorpsaviation.com/grunman-goose

(blame the typo on Sarah, she's the one who posted the photos.... Hey, Sarah! It's a "Grumman" Goose. G-R-U-M-M-A-N. Not "grunman".)
Rajay

Postby MrWidgeon » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:31 pm

I still think it's the gaudiest Goose out there.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby Rajay » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:10 am

My thought has always been - what a horrific paint scheme on which to have to do corrosion control and paint touch-ups!
Rajay

Postby MrWidgeon » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:52 am

Amen !

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Re: Goose News - another Goose on its way back!

Postby Rajay » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:48 pm

This past weekend, I got "news" from Addison Pemberton (who is currently restoring N95467, s/n 1161, in Spokane, WA) that he has been in touch recently with a guy in central Missouri who is about to ramp up efforts to restore N9KL (ex-N8H and N2752A, Gumman G-21A s/n B-8) for its owner, Dr. Wes Stricker of Jefferson City, MO. (He included a photo - I'll have to e-mail it to Bryan and see if he can host it online for others to see, too.)

Dr. Stricker, even though he is a doctor, was previously involved with Ozark Airlines, a regional start-up several years ago. He may also be better known to warbird enthusiasts as the owner of the supposedly only "airworthy" and actually flying Supermarine Seafire F Mk. XV, N503PR, serial no. PR503, Code "K". The Seafire is a navalized version of the famous Spitfre, but it is modified with a tailhook and folding wings for carrier operations.

Dr. Stricker also owns a P-51D Mustang, a TBM Avenger,and a T-6. Sounds like he's quite a fan of both Grumman and North American aircraft designs in particular!

It is always fantastic news to hear that another Goose may eventually return to the skies! Godspeed to Dr. Wicker and his maintenance/restoration crew!
Rajay

Postby Rajay » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:00 am

TonyR wrote:
Dr. Stricker, is the owner of the only airworthy Supermarine Seafire".

Oh No he isn't!! What about VP 441 in Texas, and our own SX 336 on the UK register! Get your facts right Rajay!

Dr Stricker must also be an admirer of British engineering. The P-51 and the Seafire both have Rolls Royce engines ( although Americans pretend the V12 Merlin was invented by Packard!)

Hey, not "my" facts. I was just going by the "press" I found and read about it. Are you sure that those other aircraft you mentioned are actually "airworthy" and flying?

To be fair, this site said that "it may be the only flying Supermarine Seafire Mk. XV in the world." http://www.salute.org/Aircraft.html

That's much more specific - apparently those others are not "Mk. XV" variants, so that little caveat must be included to make the original statement correct. I left it out. Mea Culpa.

This site seems to have more current info:

http://www.australianflying.com.au/news/warbirds-supermarine-seafire-survivors
Rajay

Re: Goose News - another Goose on its way back!

Postby seawings » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:19 am

Rajay wrote:This past weekend, I got "news" from Addison Pemberton (who is currently restoring N95467, s/n 1161, in Spokane, WA) that he has been in touch recently with a guy in central Missouri who is about to ramp up efforts to restore N9KL (ex-N8H and N2752A, Gumman G-21A s/n B-8) for its owner, Dr. Wes Stricker of Jefferson City, MO. (He included a photo - I'll have to e-mail it to Bryan and see if he can host it online for others to see, too.)

Dr. Stricker, even though he is a doctor, was previously involved with Ozark Airlines, a regional start-up several years ago. He may also be better known to warbird enthusiasts as the owner of the supposedly only "airworthy" and actually flying Supermarine Seafire F Mk. XV, N503PR, serial no. PR503, Code "K". The Seafire is a navalized version of the famous Spitfre, but it is modified with a tailhook and folding wings for carrier operations.

Dr. Stricker also owns a P-51D Mustang, a TBM Avenger,and a T-6. Sounds like he's quite a fan of both Grumman and North American aircraft designs in particular!

It is always fantastic news to hear that another Goose may eventually return to the skies! Godspeed to Dr. Wicker and his maintenance/restoration crew!

Better late than never, here's a picture of her:

Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby Rajay » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:51 pm

The current owner of N70AL, the second and last real "McKinnon" model G-21G Turbo Goose (i.e. the last one "built" and properly certified as such actually by McKinnon) has started a new Facebook page to document his project to remove and rebuild the critical wing center section. He also hints a time or two in there that the project may escalate into a full airframe restoration.

Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/Rednerturbinegoose?fref=photo

Rajay

Next

Return to Grumman G-21 Goose Reference Archive