Goose News

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Re: Goose News

Postby mdwflyer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:39 am

That's good news. I had "heard" in the trees, and was happy to see it barely went in the bushes. Good luck with the fix!

Mark
mdwflyer

Postby Gord21 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:15 am

More good news. UAZ is back in business.
Gord21

Postby mdwflyer » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:07 am

Gord21 wrote:More good news. UAZ is back in business.

Awesome, great xmas present!
mdwflyer

Postby Gord21 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:45 pm

C-FIOL - B107 is now also back on line.
Gord21

Postby Rajay » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:29 pm

So what is that now, 3 out of your 4 Gooses, that are back in service? Very cool.

In other Goose news, I didn't make a big deal out of it at the time, but after Tom Danaher of Wichita Falls, TX died last fall, his estate finally put his Goose, N291VW, G-21A s/n 1188 (the last actual civilian model G-21A ever built as a matter of fact) up for sale via Platinum Fighters in California. They were asking $200K for a real "time machine"; it was very low-time (they said 2,238.5 hours TIS based on its application for a new Certificate of Airworthiness in 1990 but it is known to have flown "some" since then, but still that's low!) It also had very few modifications and what was left of the interior was basically original.

It was bought about a month or so back by a collector and restorer of old airplanes in the Sonoma, CA area who is a "friend of a friend" so I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about a very thorough and worthy restoration hopefully in the not too distant future.
Rajay

Postby MrWidgeon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:32 pm

That's good news to hear as well.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby Rajay » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:44 pm

Very cool too! Thanks for the great shots. (Did you ever ask the fat guy to get the heck out of your pictures?)

I've been wondering about that bird. I know a guy who knows Rob Collings, but I'm still not in the loop, or their usual "circle" anyway.

I never before noticed the "seat" tracks along the upper cabin walls; I suppose they were used to attach quick-release cargo straps or something like that back when it was flying in the wilds of Alaska for Pen Air and before that for Freshwater Adventures.
Rajay

Postby Rajay » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:57 pm

This Goose is obviously undergoing a meticulous restoration at Chuck Greenhill's hangar in Kenosha, WI. Based on current Goose registrations in the FAA database, I am assuming that it is G-21A s/n 1129, registered as N9074U. Does anybody out there know anything more about it. Obviously bringing another old Goose back from the day and making it flyable once more is a very good thing!!!!

Note: the blister window "shadow" around the middle cabin window - an obvious sign of its heritage as a model JRF-6B built as a navigation trainer for the British in 1942.
Rajay

Postby Rajay » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:29 pm

Rajay wrote:So what is that now, 3 out of your 4 Gooses, that are back in service? Very cool.

In other Goose news, I didn't make a big deal out of it at the time, but after Tom Danaher of Wichita Falls, TX died last fall, his estate finally put his Goose, N291VW, G-21A s/n 1188 (the last actual civilian model G-21A ever built as a matter of fact) up for sale via Platinum Fighters in California. They were asking $200K for a real "time machine"; it was very low-time (they said 2,238.5 hours TIS based on its application for a new Certificate of Airworthiness in 1990 but it is known to have flown "some" since then, but still that's low!) It also had very few modifications and what was left of the interior was basically original.

It was bought about a month or so back by a collector and restorer of old airplanes in the Sonoma, CA area who is a "friend of a friend" so I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing about a very thorough and worthy restoration hopefully in the not too distant future.

Finally found some photos of N291VW since it was sold and moved to CA. These were supposedly taken at the Legends of Flight hangar at Nut Tree Airport in Vacaville, CA

or as links for the full, uncropped versions:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/732/22621779116_f65ba124ea_h.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/610/22459852040_3c3304ccef_h.jpg
Rajay

Postby Rajay » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:21 pm

Latest word that I have gotten through the Goose community "grapevine" is that one of the notoriously hidden away Gooses owned by Roy Mabee (N7821, serial no. B-47) has been sold or donated to the Yanks Air Museum in Chino, CA. Although registered to an address in AK for many years, the rumor has been that it was stored in a hangar in Chino all along, so the transfer to YAM seems to make sense if as it appears Mr. Mabee decided that it was surplus to his personal needs or wants. I have heard that it is a "project" aircraft that is disassembled, at least into major components, but that it is missing the wing center section.

As some of you may remember, Yanks Air Museum bought another Goose several years ago (N329* serial no. B-140) after its previous owner, Richard Probert (son of Avalon Air Transport founder Dick Probert) died in an unfortunate car crash, even before his dad died a year or so later. At the time, Goose s/n B-140 (*re-registered from N1530H to N329 by Richard in honor of AAT's first Goose, s/n B-119, also registered as N329 before it was exported to Indonesia in the late 1970's) had been under restoration by Warbird Connection at Chino. It was completed after Richard's death and sold to Charles Nichols or Baldwin Park, CA on behalf of YAM.
Rajay

PreviousNext

Return to Grumman G-21 Goose Reference Archive