Eddy Haynes of GooseCentral.com has "gone west"

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Eddy Haynes of GooseCentral.com has "gone west"

Postby Rajay » Sun May 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Friends and Members of the Grumman Goose Community,

I hadn’t heard about this and just came across it last week. It is just unfathomable to me that something like this could happen and word about it not spread better than it apparently did. It has been more than two years since it happened – and apparently his Web site is still up and running.

I just recently tried to share with him some updated information about Goose owners and registrations and his e-mail seemed to still work as well. At least, there was no error message bounced back to indicate a problem and now I am wondering if someone else has taken it over. It seems so unlikely that his hosting and Internet services were pre-paid so far in advance that they’d still be working 25 months after his death otherwise.

In any case, Eddy and his family and relatives have been in the center of my thoughts and prayers ever since reading this and I figured that you would want to know about it as well:

http://sitkasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1964&Itemid=67

Eddy Haynes Obituary

by Sentinel Staff

Monday, February 08, 2010

Services for Edwin Leif "Eddy'' Haynes will be 7 p.m. Feb. 9 at the Sitka Assembly of God Church.

A Sitka resident for the past seven years, Eddy died Feb. 4, 2010 in a house fire. He was 53.

He was born May 21, 1956, in Ketchikan, the son of Edwin and Irene (Ulricksen) Haynes. He lived much of his life in the Seattle area, where he began his career as a musician and entertainer. He performed on guitar in local Sitka clubs, proudly expressing his natural talent in a long, successful music career.

"His sweet, loving spirit will forever be cherished,'' his family wrote. "He was a loyal, loving family member and a proud and devoted father to his beautiful daughter, Amy.''

He liked to reminisce about "old times,'' his Norwegian heritage, and his love for aviation, especially for the Grumman Goose float plane. He prided himself on his knowledge of the heritage of the old Alaskan airliners.

(He was the owner & Webmaster of the Goose Central Web site: http://goosecentral.web.officelive.com/default.aspx)

"He was very wise in what matters, or where the heart is,'' family said. "Eddie Bear, we will miss you dearly! You have touched and changed so many lives.

"Keep playing!''

Survivors include his daughter, Amy Kershaw of Surrey, B.C., Canada; stepbrothers Larry Dragland and Tom Dragland of Seattle; aunt and uncle, former Sitkans Ralph and Marlene Ulricksen, now of Mt. Vernon, Wash.; aunt Joyce Haynes of Ketchikan; cousin Mark Shay and his children, Mark Shay and Mary Shay, and aunt Margot Shay, all of Seattle; cousins Steve Shay of Ketchikan, Glenn Ulricksen of Whidbey Island, Wash., Marla Ulricksen of Oregon, Tim Ulricksen of Sitka and Jodi Ulricksen-Duffield, Sitka.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to

Amy Kershaw
88 16318 82nd Ave.,
Surrey, B.C. V4N ON9
Canada

or to Prewitt Funeral Home, Sitka.
Rajay

Re: Eddy Haynes of GooseCentral.com has "gone west"

Postby N63350JR » Thu May 24, 2012 5:46 am

I know Goose Central was up and running as recently as a few months ago, but it has now gone by the wayside.

Sad...
N63350JR

Postby Rajay » Thu May 24, 2012 2:04 pm

It was up as recently as a week ago! When I looked into the OfficeLive hosting service, there were indications that it was discontinued last year, so it was already a miracle that GooseCentral was still up as long as it was. Fortunately, I downloaded copies of almost all of the pages from Eddy's site. A few were never properly migrated from his previous host and did not transfer - the links were broken. I had been trying to look into contacting both Google (for his gmail account) and Microsoft (re: the OfficeLive Web site hosting) and trying to get them to let me take it over and keep it up, but it's - well not really all that "amazing" how big, bureaucratic, and completely unreachable they are!

Still, with copies of the GooseCentral content already downloaded, maybe I'll have a chance to recreate the site one day with another hosting service. (Of course, with several "corrections" regarding the McKinnon Gooses.)
Rajay

Postby Rajay » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:18 pm

A while back, I was gratified to learn that Chris at http://catalinagoose.homestead.com/ has copied and re-created all of the original content from Eddy Haynes' old Goose Central site - so it has not been lost completely after all!

The new version of the Goose Central site, which hopefully Chris will be able to update and keep current as necessary, is now located at http://grummangoosecentral.homestead.com/index.html
Rajay

Return to Grumman G-21 Goose Reference Archive