Albatross helps wi-fi users!

The source for references and discussion on all types & marques of this Grumman amphibian: photos, plans, manual pages & documents.

Albatross helps wi-fi users!

Postby DavidLegg » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:38 pm

David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Re: Albatross helps wi-fi users!

Postby Rajay » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:09 am

I'm not sure I buy their claim that a Grumman HU-16 Albatross is a valid test bed for a market that primarily involves Boeing and Airbus products. The Albatross is not pressurized and does not fly at 500 mph or at 25,000 feet or higher. Radial piston engines generate different interference patterns than CFM56 turbofans and the like. And how often do airline passengers find themselves trying to connect to the Web while floating on Lake Mead?

I think that they're just trying to justify the company owner's toy as a "legitimate business expense" but maybe the IRS should take a close look at their records and their whole operation....
Rajay

Postby Kenny » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:58 am

[stiff-upper-lip] CFM56...? Trent's, dear boy ... Trent's ... [/stiff-upper-lip] ;)

An expensive "toy" but keeping one flying is the key thing, and if I could get away with such toys ... Thankfully, due to our somewhat incompetent tax offices, both here and there, unless he really runs it up the flag-pole ... :D

With a dorsal tx/rx system it would be fairly easy to shield from any kind of engine or electronic interference, with everything line-of-sight beneath the shielding, whereas ventral tx/rx and traditionally slung engine pods...
Kenny

Postby Rajay » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:21 am

Came across something else about this Albatross recently. The company said that it was the perfect testbed for their wi-fi equipment evaluations because the curvature of the top of the fuselage closely matches that of a Boeing 737, which is the type in which they have most of their "market".

Seems to me that if that is the case, maybe they should really just use a Boeing 737 for a testbed! Duh!

I'm sticking with my theory that they are simply trying to pass off the owner's personal "toy" as some kind of legitimate business expense.
Rajay

Postby MrWidgeon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:05 am

A 737 would be way too much airplane for what they need & would cost far too much to operate.
I've seen pics of the interior and it isn't very fancy (compared to some), not that many seats and a lot of equipment racks.
It's a legit deal that no doubt has some side benefits.
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Return to Grumman HU-16 Albatross Reference Archive