Britain At War Magazine

This the section for swapping info on good magazine articles over the years: preferably scans, if you have them available.

Britain At War Magazine

Postby antipodeanandy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:13 am

I imagine most of you get Britain At War but I thought I'd list several Sunderland articles from the recent issues I've picked up at the newsagent. If anyone wants a scan, please let me know (not sure about posting scans here).

Sept 09:
Sunderland Strike: Through a fascinating series of wartime images Martin Mace investigates the sinking of U-106, a German Type IXB U-boat, which was sunk by a pair of RAF Coastal Command Short Sunderland flying boats on 2 August 1943.

Dec 09:
Three In One: As the Second World War continued, the Allied offensive against the German U-boats increasingly became one littered with stories of successes and ground-breaking moments. One of the most unusual occurred on 30 July 1943. In a combined naval and air assault, Allied forces succeeded in sinking all three U-boats of one small group that had been surprised whilst surfaced in the Bay of Biscay. Martin Mace reveals what happened.

(This is the story of 461 Sqn's Sunderland 'U' W6077 and the crew of Dudley Marrows sinking U-461. Incidentally, there is a chapter in Michael Veitch's Fly detailing this attack from Marrows' viewpoint. The interview at the core of the chapter goes well beyond this one attack and includes a reunion of sorts between Marrows and the U-boat skipper long after the war.)

Hmm, I thought I had another article but obviously not.
Andy Wright
Aircrew Book Review
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library - Jorge Luis Borges
antipodeanandy

Re: Britain At War Magazine

Postby DavidLegg » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:47 pm

I do not get this magazine but someone told me that a recent edition had a piece about Catalinas in it. Can anyone confirm and let me have a short summary of the content? Thanks.,
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Re: Britain At War Magazine

Postby seawings » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:17 am

antipodeanandy wrote:I imagine most of you get Britain At War but I thought I'd list several Sunderland articles from the recent issues I've picked up at the newsagent. If anyone wants a scan, please let me know (not sure about posting scans here).

Sept 09:
Sunderland Strike: Through a fascinating series of wartime images Martin Mace investigates the sinking of U-106, a German Type IXB U-boat, which was sunk by a pair of RAF Coastal Command Short Sunderland flying boats on 2 August 1943.

Dec 09:
Three In One: As the Second World War continued, the Allied offensive against the German U-boats increasingly became one littered with stories of successes and ground-breaking moments. One of the most unusual occurred on 30 July 1943. In a combined naval and air assault, Allied forces succeeded in sinking all three U-boats of one small group that had been surprised whilst surfaced in the Bay of Biscay. Martin Mace reveals what happened.

(This is the story of 461 Sqn's Sunderland 'U' W6077 and the crew of Dudley Marrows sinking U-461. Incidentally, there is a chapter in Michael Veitch's Fly detailing this attack from Marrows' viewpoint. The interview at the core of the chapter goes well beyond this one attack and includes a reunion of sorts between Marrows and the U-boat skipper long after the war.)

Hmm, I thought I had another article but obviously not.

Hi Guys, with reference to current magazine scans, send them off-board via private emails to each other, please. That way is the easiest and keeps the Forum legit. Thanks, Bryan.
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Return to Flying Boat Magazine Articles