French-language Reference Books

This is the section for discussions on books - newly published, wanted, for sale, swop or just general discussion on a particular title.

French-language Reference Books

Postby AquilaAudax » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:04 am

Hi all,

I am trying to work my way through the entries on French flying boats (and floatplanes) for my book on Trimotors, but I have been warned that the very few English-language books that have material on the subject have major problems with errors and omissions – principally as the authors did not bother to consult French experts in the field. It has been recommended that I consult the French-language books listed below as they are considered to be reliable sources.

The books are:

Morareau, Lucien; Les aéronefs de l'aviation maritime 1910 - 1942. Paris, ARDHAN, 2002.

via Klaze, M & J.M. Geneste; Encyclopedie de l' Hydraviation, Musée de l'Hydraviation at Biscarosse
• Tome I: L'Hydravion á la découverte du monde; 1912-1934
• Tome II; L'Hydravion á la conquête des records: 1919-1933

Hirschauer, Dollfus, & Jaffeux-Tissot; L'Année aéronautique, Paris, Dunod – published annually between 1919 and 1939.

If anyone has copies of these books, or has access to them in a library, I would very much like to hear from them to see what material is actually contained in each one.

The aircraft that for which I am seeking information are as follows:

Besson MB 36 (1930)
Caudron C39 (1920)
Donnet-Denhaut DP10 ‘High Seas’ Flying Boat (1918)
Farman ‘High Seas’ Flying Boat (1918)
Latecoere Late 24 (1927)
Latecoere Late 34.0 (1930)
Latecoere Late 500/501 (1932)
Latecoere Late 582 (1935)
Latham CH.1 ‘High Seas’ Flying Boat (1918)
Lévy-Besson ‘High Seas’ Triplane Flying Boat (1918)
Liore et Olivier LeO H-6 (1919)
Liore et Olivier LeO H-15 (1926)
Loire 60 (1932)
Loire 70 (1933)
Romano R-6 (1932)
Tellier T7 (1918)
Tellier T8 (1918)
Wibault 240 (1933)

Cheers
Aquila Audax
AquilaAudax

Re: French-language Reference Books

Postby seamaster » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Here is Mr Morareau's e-mail address if it can help. He has always answered my requests. I am not sure if he speaks english tough.

lucien.morareau@wanadoo.fr

Louis
seamaster

Postby TASSE » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi Ray
I will dig out all my French magazines this coming week end and see what i can find,but i cant guarantee much.

There is a package in the post to you.

Cheers. Roy.
TASSE

Postby AquilaAudax » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:20 am

Hi Louis

Thank you for the email address - I will see what he is able to do for me - my list is so long I am a bit scared he will be overwhelmed ??

Cheers, AA
AquilaAudax

Postby AquilaAudax » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:28 am

Hi Roy

I am waiting with great anticipation for the letter !!

If you can find anything in the French-language magazine that would be great.

A chap in Holland, who has been very helpful, has pointed out that on one of the major French-language aviation forums there is a thread specifically about the Davilla and Soltan book (French Aircraft of the First War) which is particularly uncomplimentary about the number of errors and omissions in the text - principally (in their opinion) as they did not see fit to consult with any of the French experts such as Lucien Morareau.

Cheers, Ray
AquilaAudax

Postby piolenc » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:39 am

Hello, fellow marine aircraft enthusiasts. Marc de Piolenc, French/American dual national living in the Philippines, here.

I didn't have much interest in flying boats before moving here in the late Nineties - my aeronautical interests at that time were lighter-than-air and tailless airplanes - but living in an archipelago can alter your perspective. Now marine aircraft, hovercraft and WIGs are high on my list of Things to Be Learned.

While tapping the vast collective knowledge base of this forum I think I can be useful to the group. Part of my living is made doing technical translation work - mostly French and German into English, but also English into French. I can help with correspondence to/from French speakers, and with incoming German material. I've done some pro bono translation work on aviation Web sites, and am happy to help out here as well. I am an avid collector of aeronautical technical material and I understand the frustration of having information in hand that you know is relevant, but not being able to puzzle it out.

I follow a lot of forums and lists, so to reach me quickly please use my direct email address: piolenc@gmail.com. Please don't neglect to post to the forum as well if your material is of general interest.

Regards to all
piolenc

Postby BlueMax » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:36 am

Another very interesting French-language book is the 3 volumes "Les Hydraviations de la Luftwaffe" edited by Lella Press.
Till now just vol.1 and vol.2 are available:
http://www.avions-bateaux.com/fr/catalo ... e_995.html
http://www.avions-bateaux.com/fr/catalo ... e_996.html
352 pages for vol.1 and 400 pages for vol.2 I may say this is one of the most detailed work on this subject ...
Even if you don't now French, this work is highly recommended: lot of good photos, drawings and detailed drawings, color profiles.
"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben" (3./JG11 "Graf")
BlueMax

Postby BlueMax » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:52 pm

Les Ailes Françaises / Encyclopédie des avions de la Seconde Guerre mondiale
- Les hydravions à coque [1]
- Les hydravions à coque [2]
http://www.aerostories.org/~aerobiblio/rubrique106.html
http://www.aerostories.org/~aerobiblio/article3129.html
"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben" (3./JG11 "Graf")
BlueMax

Postby AquilaAudax » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:35 am

Hi Marc and BlueMax

I have to confess that I haven’t checked this thread for some time – my humble apologies – I am not ignoring you and your very valuable comments and information. Like you Marc I am a member of a number of forums and have trouble at times keeping up with the ‘traffic’ !!

Marc – I have a lot of French-language material (thanks to very generous and helpful members of this forum, and others) – most of which I have been able to ‘translate’ using some optical character recognition (OCR) software and the ‘Google’ translation engine. The quality of the output tends to be dependent on the quality of the material I am feeding into the engine – some people write in a more straightforward and easily understood fashion, others are not so good at expressing their thoughts and the engine struggles to reconstruct the words into English sentences that are easy to for me to understand. I have particular problems however with material that has been scanned at resolutions below 300 dpi and/or from material where the print quality is not all that good (and so can't use the OCR and have to copy type it [badly] as well as translate it)– such as the Les Ailes newspaper articles. I will contact you off-line about some of those if that is OK with you.

BlueMax – thanks for the information (and review comments) about the Les Hydraviations de la Luftwaffe and the Encyclopédie des avions de la Seconde Guerre mondiale references – both of which were previously unknown to me.

I have recently been in contact with Lucien Morareau who is helping me sort some of the many errors, omissions and contradictions in the material that I have been able to access to date on French military flying boats and floatplanes. It is great to have someone who knows what he is talking about to give me guidance – sitting in my little study in far away Western Australia !!

Cheers

Ray
AquilaAudax

Postby DBWilde » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:09 pm

It has been a few years since the last post.
This past year I came across:

Latecoere: Les avions et hydravions by Jean Cuny

Collection Docavia, Volume 34
Editions Lariviere
15-17, Quai de L'oise
75 155 Paris Cedex 19
ISBN 2-90 70 51-01-6

About 400 pages, lots of photograph, including interiors, line drawings and a few color profiles.

Good luck on your research!
Doug Wilde
DBWilde

Next

Return to Flying Boat Reference Books