A Deviation from the Norm

This is the section for discussions on books - newly published, wanted, for sale, swop or just general discussion on a particular title.

A Deviation from the Norm

Postby mdwflyer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:38 am

http://www.adeviationfromthenorm.nz/

Thinking about ordering it, should be some great stories. Has anyone else seen it/read it?

Mark
mdwflyer

Re: A Deviation from the Norm

Postby mdwflyer » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:36 am

Mr Sanson has the book available in on Kindle now

http://www.amazon.com/Deviation-Norm-Pilots-Story-ebook/dp/B019EIC5SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452223790&sr=8-1&keywords=Norm+Sanson

I read it over the holidays, great read.
mdwflyer

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:44 pm

I bought a copy directly from him a couple months ago, but haven't had a chance to read it yet (waiting on new glasses).
It looks good and after a few email exchanges getting a feel for how he thinks and writes I think it'll be a great read.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby flyernzl » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:34 am

I have this book - and have read it.

Norm gained his PPL in New Zealand, and then went to Australia for his commercial.
Focussed on water-borne aviation, his first flying job was with a float-equipped Piper Tripacer closely followed by a Cessna 180 also on floats.
Returning to New Zealand, he joined Mt Cook Airlines to fly Widgeons, and became a shareholder in Sea Bee Air when that company was formed to take over the Auckland amphibian operations.
He continued to fly Widgeons - and later the Goose - for the entire time that company operated them.
He was intimatly involved in the Tuvalu operations carried out by Sea Bee Air in the 1970s.

After Sea Bee expanded into land-based operations, he flew helicoptors for a while and later captained other fixed-wing aircraft around the Pacific.

If you really want to know about the operations of Sea Bee Air from the inside this is the book, and it's a rollicking good read as well.
You will also discover exactly why they had to erect a wall around the gaol in Tuvalu!

Well recommended.
flyernzl

Return to Flying Boat Reference Books