New title on the Sunderland at WH Smiths.....

This is the section for discussions on books - newly published, wanted, for sale, swop or just general discussion on a particular title.

New title on the Sunderland at WH Smiths.....

Postby seawings » Thu May 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi All,

Sandy, the most thoughtful, beautiful Wife in the whole-wide world (Yup, she's lurking in the background whilst I write this) works at a branch of WH Smiths here in the UK and today treated me to a pressie.........

It's a superb, 130 page full-sized, brand-new released monograph on the Short Sunderland produced in association with AEROPLANE magazine archives, and it's superb! Retailing at £7.99 (Yes, she stumped up for it!) it is a 'one-stop-shop-read' on the history, development and operations of the most iconic 'boat (ever?) and the best bit for me was that the publishing quality is superb and an awful lot of the images I have not seen before; someone has 'raided' the AEROPLANE archives.............

Oh, and some of the articles feature authors from this Forum, don't they Allan? Kept this one quiet, didn't you!! Nice job, mate. ;)

All in all, worth getting hold of a copy, for the read and indeed for some of the very large-scale images printed in it.

God,I love my Missus....! :D
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Re: New title on the Sunderland at WH Smiths.....

Postby Fred » Thu May 03, 2012 8:04 pm

And now, the question is...

Complete bibliographic notes and how to get... ?

Would be glad to read this sometimes...

From the middle of (europe?)

Fred
Fred

Postby antipodeanandy » Fri May 04, 2012 12:45 pm

Excellent! The Hurri and Blenheim editions were very well done.

http://www.kelseyshop.co.uk/index.php?r ... ct_id=2185
Andy Wright
Aircrew Book Review
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library - Jorge Luis Borges
antipodeanandy

Postby seawings » Sat May 05, 2012 9:36 am

Fred wrote:And now, the question is...

Complete bibliographic notes and how to get... ?

Would be glad to read this sometimes...

From the middle of (europe?)

Fred

Hello Fred,

Sorry about that, I got carried away! Here are the details you require:

The ISBN number is: ISBN 978-1-907426-28-5 and it is published in the AEROPLANE Icons series. They have produced a number of other aircraft types to-date and now it is the Sunderlands turn.

For those not in the UK it can be purchased online from a number of locations, here is one such link:

http://www.kelseyshop.co.uk/index.php?r ... egory_id=0

Hope that helps,
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
seawings
Site Admin

Postby Pondskater » Sat May 05, 2012 9:33 pm

Oh, is it out then? Wasn't in my WHSmith last week but I've ordered it on-line. Be good to see it.

So what did they use - did he print both articles, the civil one and the other piece James and I did?

Good that you like the photos - I know the editor was quite keen to get some good pics - he raided Aeroplane's archives but also those of contributors.

seawings wrote:Kept this one quiet, didn't you!! Nice job, mate. ;)

It is the only thing I've written in two and a half years and I wasn't sure it would work. It is good to have started writing again, I'd like to do more.

AllanK
Pondskater

Postby seawings » Sun May 06, 2012 8:46 am

Hello Allan,

Yes, they used both of them; and very good they are too! Well done! It's so nice to have you back writing again....... ;)

I have been through the book several times now and one of the reasons for that is the photographic content, I could tell as soon as I saw it that it had been put together by people that cared for the subject. It could so easily have been a 'coffee table', regurgitated mosh-up, but it certainly isn't, nowhere near that.

Nope, I'm impressed with it, there's a lot in it for the price.

Looking forward to reading more from your keyboard when you can......!
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

seawings
Site Admin

Postby DavidLegg » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:58 pm

I purchased a copy of the above the other day and very good it is too.

My eye was particularly drawn to the photo spread on pages 112/113 of Sunderland G-BJHS in company with the Catalina. I was lucky enough to be one of the crew on board the Cat’, visible snapping away from one of the forward windows! This was on 28th August 1989.

For the record, the photo caption is a bit off target. The Catalina was not a “Canadian Vickers-built OA-10A-VI Canso” as quoted but a Consolidated New Orleans-built US Navy PBY-5A serial BuAer46633. At the time the photo was taken it was registered G-BLSC. Although un-credited, the photo was taken by the late Arthur Gibson from his Aztec during a sortie from West Malling which sadly very few people got to witness as, for boring, ‘political’ reasons (money, basically), the formation broke up before the individual aircraft displayed back at WM where one of the Great Warbirds displays was taking place. This was most likely the first time a Catalina/Sunderland formation had taken place since the 1950s (RNZAF) and it has not happened since.

To nit-pick further, there is no such thing as a “Canadian Vickers-built OA-10A-VI Canso” – they were either one (USAAF) or the other (RCAF Canso A).

That said, really nice publication and well worth getting.

As an aside, one of my own slides of the Sunderland taken from the Catalina on that flight was published on the cover of Air-Britain's Digest magazine soon after and they managed to print it back to front! Boy was I mad!
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Postby sunderlandmr5 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:03 am

Hi All

Manged to lay my lands on a copy finally :D

Looks really good, and great to see Allans contributions also.

Couple of nitpicks about:
1) art profiles artist who painted those, obviously
knows nothing about Sunderlands or their various
marks, and that goes for the Art Editor who approved the art :roll:
Mk III's and Mk V's with the unfaired hull! Sacrilage!!!! :lol:

2) The person who captioned the photos in the section about the
RNZAF either is not a Kiwi, or if they are, are seriously lacking in
their Geopgraphy, I mean some of the captions report Lauthala Bay,
when in fact it's Wellington, or Hobsonville again Wellington :roll:

Regards

Alan
sunderlandmr5