Marine aircraft technical books

This is the section for discussions on books - newly published, wanted, for sale, swop or just general discussion on a particular title.

Marine aircraft technical books

Postby piolenc » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:44 am

Since I got interested in flying boats and amphibians I've searched for technical information on their design. There's very little of it in book form, even from the days when flying boats were considered to be the only viable type for long flights over water. I have:

Nelson, William: Seaplane Design (McGraw-Hill, 1934)

Munro, William: Marine Aircraft Design (Pitman, 1933)

Thurston, David B: Design for Flying (McGraw-Hill, 1978)

Samsonov, P.D.: Proyectirovanie i Konstruktsii Gidrosamolyotov [Design and Construction of Seaplanes] (Moscow and Leningrad: Main Publishing House for Aviation Literature, 1936). In Russian, obviously.

Belavin, N.I.: Ekranoplany [Ekranoplans] (Leningrad: Sudostroeniye, 1977).

I have not found any book-length works in German or French yet.
piolenc

Re: Marine aircraft technical books

Postby AquilaAudax » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:33 am

Hello Marc

I posted a reply on the Thread that I set up about ‘French-language Reference Books’, but forgot to say ‘Welcome to the Forum’ !

In my collection of magazine cuttings I have a copy of an article, from a series titled “Fundamentals of Airliner Design” by Ray Whitford (published in Air International, Dec '03) - Part 17, “Flying Boats”. As a magazine article it is not ‘comprehensive’ in its coverage but may be of interest – I can scan it and send it to you if you are interested.

Cheers

Ray
AquilaAudax

Return to Flying Boat Reference Books