Supermarine Rolls-Royce S6B

This is the section for discussions on books - newly published, wanted, for sale, swop or just general discussion on a particular title.

Supermarine Rolls-Royce S6B

Postby schneiderman » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:53 pm

The Haynes Owner's Manual for the Supermarine Rolls-Royce S6B was published in early December. A book on this iconic aircraft, and its forebears, has been long overdue.....so I was only too happy to rectify that when Haynes commisioned me to write it.

Not a flying boat but designed and constructed by one of Britain's foremost flying boat companies, som it almost counts
schneiderman

Re: Supermarine Rolls-Royce S6B

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:20 am

I'll have to obtain a copy of that book.

I've got a copy of another Haynes book, “Schneider Trophy to Spitfire: The Design Career of R.J. Mitchell” by John Shelton. It contains chapters on the Schneider Trophy seaplanes produced by Supermarine, but a dedicated book about the S6B as definite appeal for me and will be a worthy addition to one of my bookcases.
Kiwithrottlejockey

Postby dogsbody » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:03 am

Though this is The Flying Boat Forum, there is a goodly amount of space reserved for floatplanes so it definitely goes here.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby schneiderman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:46 am

Kiwithrottlejockey wrote:I'll have to obtain a copy of that book.

I've got a copy of another Haynes book, “Schneider Trophy to Spitfire: The Design Career of R.J. Mitchell” by John Shelton. It contains chapters on the Schneider Trophy seaplanes produced by Supermarine, but a dedicated book about the S6B as definite appeal for me and will be a worthy addition to one of my bookcases.

I would recommend that you get hold of a copy of Beyond the Spitfire: the unseen designs of R.J.Mitchell which gives a deeper and more balanced view of Mitchell's work.

But then I would say that as I wrote that one too :D :D :D
schneiderman

Postby Kiwithrottlejockey » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:40 am

I've seen that book somewhere and actually had a quick browse through it but I cannot recall exactly where.

Possibly from a bookseller at an airshow in New Zealand, either Classic Fighters Omaka 2017 or Warbirds Over Wanaka 2018.

However, at the time I was fixated on looking for something else, so it wasn't my top priority.

I see it listed on Amazon, so I might look a grabbing a copy sometime in the first quarter of the new year...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0750965150
Kiwithrottlejockey

Postby seawings » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:16 pm

Hi Ralph,

I'm looking forward to seeing the S.6b Haynes manual for sure. Went through 'The Works' the other day and they every title there but that one..! Can't wait as it's a niche interest for me beyond the flying boats, and always has been.
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby longshot » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:56 am

Image Iconic machine seen by hundreds of thousands on the Queens building
longshot

Postby schneiderman » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:09 am

seawings wrote:Hi Ralph,

I'm looking forward to seeing the S.6b Haynes manual for sure. Went through 'The Works' the other day and they every title there but that one..! Can't wait as it's a niche interest for me beyond the flying boats, and always has been.

Hi Bryan,

I'm not sure what criteria Haynes apply to provide heavily discounted copies to The Works, the volumes I have seen in our local branch are a mix of older releases and new ones. The space related books seem especially popular, excellent ones on various Apollo components and one on Mars exploration
schneiderman

Postby schneiderman » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:11 am

longshot wrote: Iconic machine seen by hundreds of thousands on the Queens building

Ah yes, the official opening in 1957. For reasons I have never worked out someone decided that this was S6B S1596 and painted it as such. It was another 15 or so years before the error was corrected and it was restored and repainted correctly as N248. Now in the Solent Sky museum in Southampton
schneiderman

Return to Flying Boat Reference Books