Sunderland Wireless Operator's position

Information requests on flying boat fixtures and fittings such as anything internally, radio's, galleys and anchors or Yagi Aerials and Radar fitted externally - anything that is not specifically a weapon as such. This is the place to post photos, plans and documents to form an historical archive.

Sunderland Wireless Operator's position

Postby michaelj6464 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:53 pm

I am working at a museum in West Wales: Internal Fire, Museum of Power (http://www.internalfire.com/). We have a large wireless collection and at present I am preparing a new display for the new season starting in April entitled, "Wireless Saving lives at Sea". We have some survival radios and other exhibits. To complement the dispaly I am putting together a representative Sunderland Wireless Operator's position.There seem to be very few good pictures of the 1155/1154 radio installation.
1) Does anyone have a good face on picture of the radio installation?
2)Can anyone recall what items of radio equipment were installed? I know about the 1155 Receiver, 1154 Transmitter, 1134 Intercom Amplifier, Type J antenna switch, Power Meter, Bathtub key, Call Lamp unit - What Have I missed?
3) I understand that the call lamp unit was used in the event of intercom failure. Is this correct? How was it used?
4) On some pictures there appears to be a shelf about 18" above the radio installation, with what seems to be a blanket on it. Does anyone know anything about this? Was it a curtain, a screen or just stowage for bedding?
Any other information or experiences on the wirelss installation will be gratefully received.

Many Thanks - Michael.
michaelj6464

Re: Sunderland Wireless Operator's position

Postby dogsbody » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:34 am

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby michaelj6464 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:36 am

Hi Chris,

Thanks for quick reply. Yes I have seen both of these, in fact they are two of the most useful pictures as both, especially the monochrome one show good detail of the mounting rails for the equipment. The colour one has many nice features, notably the plethora of cigarrette ends. The packet of "Senior Service" and box of matches help to give scale to the mounting rails. (Why they bothered with the flameproof bathtub key when the wireless operator lit up everry few minutes!!).

The main features are easy enough, but all pictures I have seen leave me with a mysterious dark area to the upper left, above the 1155 receiver. I know more or less what would be there as the equipment is common to UK heavy bombers, but it is the detail that is hard to pin down.

Another quaestion that I meant to include in my opening post: As far as I can make out, the DF connectors to the 1155 are not in place in any pictures I have seen which surprised me given the Sunderland's search and rescue role. Nor are any DF meters (Cross Needle) visible. Was DF perhaps one of the navigator's duties?

Thanks Michael.
michaelj6464

Postby sunderlandmr5 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:27 am

michaelj6464 wrote:I am working at a museum in West Wales: Internal Fire, Museum of Power (http://www.internalfire.com/). We have a large wireless collection and at present I am preparing a new display for the new season starting in April entitled, "Wireless Saving lives at Sea". We have some survival radios and other exhibits. To complement the dispaly I am putting together a representative Sunderland Wireless Operator's position.There seem to be very few good pictures of the 1155/1154 radio installation.
1) Does anyone have a good face on picture of the radio installation?
2)Can anyone recall what items of radio equipment were installed? I know about the 1155 Receiver, 1154 Transmitter, 1134 Intercom Amplifier, Type J antenna switch, Power Meter, Bathtub key, Call Lamp unit - What Have I missed?
3) I understand that the call lamp unit was used in the event of intercom failure. Is this correct? How was it used?
4) On some pictures there appears to be a shelf about 18" above the radio installation, with what seems to be a blanket on it. Does anyone know anything about this? Was it a curtain, a screen or just stowage for bedding?
Any other information or experiences on the wirelss installation will be gratefully received.

Many Thanks - Michael.

Hi Michael

Just bear in mind that All Sunderland mk's were different in make and equipment - my favourite saying is
"All Sunderlands were not created equal" :D

I have looked through the manuls I have, Mk III mostly as the 1155 was found on Mk III's but the information you are after was actually found in a MkV/MR5 set of drawings that are in the back of a Book in my collection "New Zealands Golden Age of Flying Boats" - RNZAF flew both Mk III's and MR5's

Wireless Station - note, I have added a link from my photos in Google drive, as the resolution will be far better - the copyright is for my photo-the image used under fair use. Hopefully the drawing will help answer most/all your queries-note the "Blanket" is actually a dust cover

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Yff6 ... sp=sharing

The next image is the Naviagtors station - the DF information can be found in items 12/13

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Yff6 ... sp=sharing

The call lamp was actually used to signal the crew at various stations (Wireless/Galley etc) along with a warning horn as in this photo here of mine (Galley)

If for some rhyme or reason the intercom did go out, the crew would either use hand signals or verbal communication.

A Sundreland pilot I knew, flew with 270 Squadron from Apapa, Nigeria WWII. When their Sunderland MKIII was hit by lightning while on patrol. Wiped out everything from radios to navigation gear, so had to use verbal/hand communications.
If contacting another aircraft, written message from 1st pilot and aldis lamp.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan
sunderlandmr5

Postby michaelj6464 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:31 pm

Dear Alan,

Thank you very much for the information, it is really very, very helpful. I'd worked out from the various pictures I have seen that there was some variation in equipment. The Wireless operator position is coming along well, a picture of the work in progress is attached. The fuselage skin section and other metal work is being made, The intention being that all will be ready for opening on 5th April. Picture attached of the work in progress will be attached shortly.

Thanks again, I'll no doubt have more questions and will keep the forum updated on progress.

Michael

Last edited by michaelj6464 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
michaelj6464

Postby dogsbody » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:36 pm

No image showing. Can you re-post, please?

Chris
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
dogsbody

Postby michaelj6464 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:37 pm

OK Chris - working on it! Just read theinstructions, It will take a few minutes to set up. - Michael
michaelj6464

Postby michaelj6464 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Try that Chris - done it! - Michael.
michaelj6464

Postby dogsbody » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:11 pm

That's got it.

Chris
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
dogsbody

Postby Pondskater » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:50 pm

Looks as if you're building one of these:

And a close up of the panel here

These are from a MkIII - they appear to be a demonstration piece to show new workers how to assemble the desk.

Clearest I've seen of the WO position - and if you compare with the drawing from Alan above, the individual bits can be identified.

Allan
Pondskater

Next

Return to Flying Boat Fixtures and Fittings