Dornier CD2 Seastar

Information requests specifically on flying boat engines. This is the place to post photos, plans and documents to form an historical archive.

Dornier CD2 Seastar

Postby Rajay » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Wikipedia lists the engines on the Dornier CD2 Seastar as 500 shp PWC PT6A-112 series but FAA TC A62EU lists them as 650 shp (flat-rated down from 750 shp) PWC PT6A-135A series engines (500 shp METO.)

Of course the TC takes precedence over Wikipedia, but it got me wondering.... Once upon a time, there were two Seastars - the original prototype which was slightly different and the one that still exists which is claimed as the "definitive" example of the design. The original prototype crashed at some point, right? (Maybe July 1986 according to a photo caption on Airliners.net.) Could it be that it was the one with the 500 shp PT6A-112 while the "definitive" one still flying has the 650 shp PT6A-135A engines?

And if the "current" example is a model "CD2" and the earlier one was different, even if only a little bit (there were obvious external differences in the shape of the nose, the sponsons, etc - most importantly the wing now that I think about it) does that mean that the prototype was officially a model "CD1"?

Some other posts online mention as many as four examples and I have seen serial numbers listed as "01" and "1001" and "1002" but I assume that "01" and "1001" are actually the same aircraft (i.e. the CD1 "prototype" that crashed.)
Rajay

Re: Dornier CD2 Seastar

Postby Rajay » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:53 pm

Looking around on the 'Net a bit more, it looks like there may have been 3 different examples and that c/n "01" (D-ICDS) may have been the only CD1 prototype while serial nos. 1001 and 1002 were both models CD2 with the revised wing, nose, and sponsons, etc.

Apparently, CD2 c/n 1001 was also registered as D-ICDS while c/n 1002 was D-ICKS (always good for a chuckle) but was later changed to D-ISEA.

So, what happened to CD2 c/n 1001, D-ICDS? Is it still extant or did it also crash just like the CD1 prototype?
Rajay

Return to Flying Boat Engines