Sunderland Mk III crew ward room/Stern Bulkhead

This is the place to post pictures, plans and documents of any flying boat interior or crew position to form an historical archive.

Sunderland Mk III crew ward room/Stern Bulkhead

Postby sunderlandmr5 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi All

Quick couple of questions as per above.

1)
Does anyone have a photo(s) of the enlisted crew bunks (aft of bomb bay) for a Mk III
and if the were on the rear deck near the rear hatch as per model photo.

2) Does anyone have a photo(s) showing a canvas wind break to cover
the rear stern bulkhead as in photo?

I have an exploded diagram showing these but not sure how
accurate they are in real life.

Thanks

Alan
sunderlandmr5

Re: Sunderland Mk III crew ward room/Stern Bulkhead

Postby seawings » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:20 am

Have a look at the huge walk-through I did of the Hendon Sunderland in the WR section of SEAWINGS.

That shows the bunks I think for you.
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby sunderlandmr5 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:44 am

HI Bryan

Thanks for that, saw the bunks - thank you.

What I need if anyone has some info, is whether
there were any bunks in the area just aft of the crew
wardroom on a MK III, just past the step up
to the rear deck

The Mk V does not have them, as the beam gun positions
occupy that area.

Thanks/regards

Alan
sunderlandmr5

Postby Pondskater » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:09 pm

Honestly Alan, why can't you build a MkV like a normal person - or even go for a Mk I - there's loads of pics inside those!

Mk IIIs were not well photographed. The commonly available stuff are launch & early photos of the MkI or post war MkV pics.

But good news, scrabbling around I've found a couple.

First is this, from a MkIII with the Norwegian Air Force in UK waters. Cropped to give detail, from the rear of the workbench looking forward - I think there might be a bunk down by the two windows.

Then Short Bros took a few pics inside DD834 before she was converted to a Sandringham for Dodero.

This one is much more conclusive

And looking to the rear, is this the canvas screen you wanted to see?

Hope that helps.

I've enjoyed following your build - keep us posted with the progress.

AllanK
Pondskater

Postby sunderlandmr5 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:48 am

Hi Allan

Thanks for your reply... Yeah I can't do anything
by halves :lol:

I do have plans to build a Mk V later (an RNZAF one) :D :D

That photo of the canvas cover is excellent thank you,
it's more how I pictured it, and not what is shown
in the drawings I have ( which I think are some what fictitious anyway).

I knew one had to exist because of the canvas one over the rear bulkhead
behind the bomb bay, which was rolled up when in flight (especially if
the bomb bay doors were open) so I assumed the same for the rear canvas too

Thanks

Alan
sunderlandmr5

Postby GUMMIPUFFER » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:02 am

GOOD MORNING FOLKS - I WORKED ON BUILDING THE SUNDERLANDS - MK III + V + THE MODDED R.N.Z.A.F. BOATS AT SHORTS - BELFAST AS AIRPLANE ENG. - 1952-7 - THE REAR BUNKS YOU ASK ABOUT ARE CORRECT ON THE MK III +V AS PER THAT SHOT . OF COURSE ON A MK V YOU WOULD ALSO SEE THE GUNNERS FEET RINGS FOR THE .50 BROWNING PINTLE MOUNT M/G IN BEAM LOCATIONS . ANYTHING I CAN HELP WITH PLS ASK - HAVE LOTSA SHOTS OF F. BOATS , BUT NOT MANY SHORTS F. BOAT GUYS AROUND NOW - I SEE LOTS OF INACCURATE STATEMENTS AND DRGS. / MODELS - THANX J.C.
GUMMIPUFFER

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:12 am

Welcome Aboard J.C., your experience will be a valuable addition.

Cheers,
Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby GUMMIPUFFER » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:22 am

HI FOLKS - I NOTICED ON THE DUXFORD MK V THE DOORS HAVE 2 X PERSPEX WINDOWS - WE ONLY EVER MODDED THE R.N.Z.A.F. MK V TO THIS STATUS - WE RETROFITTED A FIRE EXTINGUISHER + AXE THERE - I NEVER SAW THAT ON R.A.F BOATS OR FRENCH FLEET AIR ARM MK V EITHER - MAYBE R.A.F. ADOPTED THAT MOD. - OR THIS BOAT IS EX R.N.Z.A. F. - WOULD KNOW IF I SAW FLIGHT DECK.
THE R.N.Z.A.F. BOATS ALSO ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT IN FLIGHT DECK AREAS - THEY HAVE MODERN RACK IN REMOTE PILOT OPERATED T/Rs INC. V.H.F. - COLLINS I THINK - THEY DELETED THE OLD R1155 / T1154 RADIO OP. POSN. ON BALSA / AL. COMPOSITE BULKHEAD , WHICH WAS STD. ON ALL R.A.F. 4 ENGINED BOMBERS .
THE R.N.Z.A.F. BOATS HAD TWIN D.F. LOOP + H.F. MASTS ON TOP OF THE HULL. MR WILLOUGHBY WILL CONFIRM THIS - I LIKE HIS SHOTS .
BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE INSIDE THE DUXFORD BOAT AS IT MIGHT BE THE ONLY ORIGINAL SPEC. SUNDERLAND LEFT IN THE WORLD ?
THOUGHT I WOULD COMMENT ON THE MANY MISTAKES I SEE STATED BY FOLKS ON SHORTS FLYING BOATS - IF I AM BORING PLS. ADVISE - NO , I CANNOT GO LOWER CASE - I AM 74 AND EYESIGHT IS NOT SO GOOD .
1/
THE 'C' CLASS WAS THE ORIGINAL 4 - ENGINED SHORTS MONOPLANE BOAT - IT DID NOT HAVE A FLIGHT ENGINEER POSN. I DUNNO HOW THEY MANAGED WITHOUT A F/E . THE LATER SUNDERLAND ETC ARE NOT BASED ON IT - NO COMPONENTS ARE INTERCHANGEABLE . A GUY IN U.S.A. WROTE A GREAT BOOK ON THE 'C' CLASS - IT IS FREE ON LINE . SOME QF / I.A. 'C' CLASS BOATS WERE RETROFITTED WITH DUAL MID UPPER GUN TURRETS AT OUT BREAK OF WW II . AND SOME FORM OF BOMB RACKS ALSO .
2/
THE SUNDERLAND WAS BUILT IN MK 1 + III + V FORMAT ALSO THE R.N.Z.A.F. MODDED ONES . RECOMMEND YOU DEFINE WHICH MK. YOU ARE ASKING QUESTIONS ON . ALL OF THE ONES I WORKED ON WERE MK III OR V - THEY ALL HAD P+W 1830 - THE R.A.A.F. 10 SQDN. GUYS WERE RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT IDEA -AS THEY WERE FOR ADDING .303 LEWIS PINTLE MOUNT M/Gs TO THE GALLEY HATCH POSNs . ALL HAD 3 BLADE HAMSTD. PROPS .
THE FLIGHT DECK CREW WAS 1ST PILOT + 2ND PILOT AND ALSO A THIRD PILOT - READ ALAN'S BOOK ON - THE THIRD PILOT .
BEHIND THE 2ND PILOT WAS A.S.V. OPERATOR - BEHIND HIM WAS THE NAV. OPPOSITE HIM WAS THE RADIO OP. - ON LATER BOATS THERE WAS A SONOBUOY POSN. BEHIND THE 1ST PILOT . BEHIND THE NAV. OVER THE 'D' SPAR WAS THE F/E POSN. THAT DOOR TO THE SLOPING DECK WAS ALWAYS CALLED THE CHURCH DOOR FOR OBVIOUS REASIONS. OPP THE F/E WAS THE BATTERIES + LARGE FUSE BOX. A HINGED WAIST HI PANEL BETWEEN THE NAV - R/O IS TO STAND ON FOR OP. OF ASTRODOME / SEXTANT - ALSO USED AS COMBAT CONTROL POINT . THERE IS A PANEL ALSO THERE FOR ENGINE / CARB. PRIMING WHEN STARTING UP. BELOW THAT IS THE A.P.U. CONTROL PANEL - IT IS J.A.P. 4 STROKE IN STBD. WING ROOT .
3/
THE CIVILIAN F. BOAT VERSION POST WAR WAS THE SANDRINGHAM - A CONVERSION OF A SUNDERLAND USUALLY . THE NOSE + TAIL HYD. PWR. TURRETS WERE REMOVED AND FAIRED OVER - MID UPPER TURRETS WERE DELETED ON MK III - BY RETROFITTING WITH 2 X .50 CAL. PINTLE MOUNT BEAM M/Gs .
DURING THE WAR SOME SUNDERLANDS WERE PARTIALLY CIVILIANIZED .
4/
THE SOLENT WAS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR CIVILIAN OPS. IT WAS O.E.M. WITH BRISTOL HERCULES + 4 BLADE PROPS . IT HAD 4 X STRUTS ON FLOATS + A FAIRING ON LEADING + TRAILING EDGE OF FIN. ALL WINDOWS ARE RECTANGULAR LIKE THE SANDRINGHAM - ALL SUNDERLAND WINDOWS ARE CIRCULAR PORTHOLES .

ALL THE BEST FOLKS - THANX FOR LISTENING - OLD J.C.
GUMMIPUFFER

Postby achean » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:35 pm

Hi JC,

Thanks for all the contributions, they are all very, very welcome.

The book you refer to, is it 'Flying Empires', or another? The author, Brian Cassidy, is a member of this forum. I was disheartened to read that he believes the original plans for the 'C' class were burned in belfast in the 1960's to make room for drawings of the RAF heavylifter 'Belfast'. Can you shed any light on this?

Brian Cassidy has been kind enough to make his book available for downlowd from http://www.users.waitrose.com/~mbcass/ and all he asks for is an acknowledgement that you downloaded it.

Very happy to keep reading what you write, JC.
achean

Postby GUMMIPUFFER » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:02 am

HI FOLKS - AFFIRMATIVE , THE BOOK IS BY BRIAN CASSIDY - FLYING EMIRES - IS HE NOT GREAT GUY ALLOWING IT TO BE DOWNLOADED FOR FREE - I COULD NOT ARGUE ANY POINTS IN IT , AS 'C' CLASS WAS WELL BEFORE MY TIME AT SHORTS BELFAST 1952 - 1959 - AND WAS BUILT AT THE OLD PLANT IN ROCHESTER . SO I DUNNO ABOUT DRGS - IT WOULD NOT SURPRISE ME , DESTRUCTION IS THE NAME OF THE GAME IN CORPORATE + GOVT. WORLD - NO ATTEMPTS MUST BE MADE TO PRESERVE HISTORY ! THE MODELLER's EFFORTS TO GET IT ALL ACCURATE AMAZE ME - VERY DEDICATED LOT - THANX J.C.
GUMMIPUFFER

Return to Flying Boat Interiors