Inside Kiwi Flying Boats

This is the place to post pictures, plans and documents of any flying boat interior or crew position to form an historical archive.

Re: Inside Kiwi Flying Boats

Postby Stealer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:17 am

Yeah, but that was back in the '80s before the fall of the Iron curtain. Things are different now. Now we know where Beriev got their designs for the Be-6! They had all those "secret" plans of the Consolidated Catalina as well as the Martin Mariner and the Martin M-156! China also has flying boats. The right person with the right money can easily get all the necessary spares manufactured in either China or Russia. We now know that Lom-Praha of the Czech Republic were making the Bristol radial engines under license. So, none of this is impossible anymore - just expensive! Actually, is it?? Whats's the exchange rate like on the the Rouble these days?

Here's the answer starting with the lowest currency::

$NZD 1 = Rouble 21.8626

$AUS 1 = Rouble 27.2539

$USD 1 = Rouble 29.873

Euro 1 = Rouble 42.8164

GBP 1 = Rouble 47.8351

That's the exchange rate at today's date. So, buying a Russian flying boat isn't as expensive as you thought. With enough money the Russians will hapilly manufacture a new main spar for Aranui! BTW, that isn't a NZ Maori name - It's Rarotongan for "Main Road".
Stealer

Postby crship » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:53 pm

Not a silly question. I've thought the same myself.
I agree that Kermit Weeks is probably the best hope. I asked the question on his website a couple of months ago and here was the reply
"HELLO CHARLES,
THANKS FOR THE QUESTION!

THE SUNDERLAND, LIKE MANY OF OUR AIRPLANES CURRENTLY NOT FLYING, IS JUST OUT OF ITS ANNUAL LICENSE. WITH THE FULL RESTORATION CREW ON IT, AND A COUPLE OF MONTHS, WE COULD GET IT BACK FLYING AGAIN. IT IS SUCH A BIG PRODUCTION TO OPERATE; WE DON’T HAVE ANY SHORT-TERM PLANS TO GET HER FLYING AGAIN UNTIL THE SEAPLANE BASE IS BUILT DOWN BY THE LAKE.

WHEN WILL KERMIT BUILD THE SEAPLANE BASE? HE SAYS IT’S ONLY A LOTTO TICKET AWAY!"

I keep buying lottery tickers! Charles
crship

Postby sunderlandnut » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Charles
Thanks for sharing that. We live in hope. Meanwhile will keep buying the lottery tickets.
Richard
sunderlandnut

Postby Budgie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:47 am

Stealer wrote: Aranui! BTW, that isn't a NZ Maori name - It's Rarotongan for "Main Road".

That it maybe, but it's still a Maori word, we have a suburb here in Christchurch (NZ) called Aranui. I believe it means "Big Path".
Regards,

Grant Forbes
Budgie

Previous

Return to Flying Boat Interiors