Inside Kiwi Flying Boats

This is the place to post pictures, plans and documents of any flying boat interior or crew position to form an historical archive.

Inside Kiwi Flying Boats

Postby Stealer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:51 am

I'm not sure if you have ever heard of or seen his site, but Kiwi Phillip Treweek has some amazing and detailed walkthroughs at his site:

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/aviation.html

He's got a quite a few aircraft, so here's what's relevant to the Short Sunderland and Sandringham:

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/sundland.html

Here's a great and close look at the Short Solent IV ZK-AMO:

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/solent.html

Finally, here's a look at the kiwi Catalina ZK-PBY:

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/catalina.html

The interior shots are why I placed the thread here. There are numerous photos of the outside of these 'boats, but not many from the inside. I believe that they fully compliment the walkaround at SEAWINGS too!
Stealer

Re: Inside Kiwi Flying Boats

Postby flyernzl » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:41 am

Yes he's got some good stuff there.
Unfortunatly due to a change of job he has not updated the site for several years now.
flyernzl

Postby sunderlandmr5 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:02 am

Philip has a good site but like Peter states, he has not updated it for a
while

In our previous forum I had posted a number of more current photos
taken last year when Bumble and her Husband visited.

On a New zealand Forum i posted much the same so here is a link
http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=7803

I have a whole bunch of newer photos also, a few to wet your appetite
New-old sign

Heading aft to stern

Rear turret lower assembly

Rear turret interior- as you can see needs work done

I also have a series of exterior photos too

Regards

Alan
sunderlandmr5

Postby Stealer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:52 pm

I was looking at her a couple of months back when I got back from OZ, and she's looking pretty sad now. All the RNZAF markings are gone, and there's a hole in her stern/keel just in front of the rear beaching wheels. The paint is all faded and running down the hull from being left out in the weather and harsh NZ sun.
Stealer

Postby sunderlandmr5 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:35 pm

Stealer wrote:I was looking at her a couple of months back when I got back from OZ, and she's looking pretty sad now. All the RNZAF markings are gone, and there's a hole in her stern/keel just in front of the rear beaching wheels. The paint is all faded and running down the hull from being left out in the weather and harsh NZ sun.

Most of the work at present is being done on the interior, the holes in the lower keel area were from
damage she received in a storm late last year when a high wind dumped her off the beaching
cradle on to the ground.

That damage is pretty much close to be repaired and she is being readied for
a major external clean (hence no markings).

She will wear RNZAF markings again, once repainted, but I think the crews
are holding fire until the new part of the Museum is built to finally house
her

Gratefully she has a pretty dedicated staff looking after her!
sunderlandmr5

Postby Bumble » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:44 pm

I'm hoping to get another look at Queenie this year,but time is short and Mr. Bumble's not that much of a flying-boat fan.
It's amazing that the aircraft is bearing up this well,having stood outside for over 40 years now.
Alan,if you read this can you check your pm's please ?
Bumble

Postby Stealer » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:04 pm

This'll seem like a strange question, but what would it take to get ZK-AMO and this Sunderland airworthy and flying again? I'm not so much speaking about the money as much as the actual flying boats
themselves. Engines for the Sunderland are still avaiable with comlete reduilds costing USD$53k each with an engine exchange. So, the parts are available, and LOM-Praha of the Czech Republic used to make the Bristol Hercules under licence for the Russians. If someone were to come up with the money, what would it take to get both these Short Brothers 'boats in the air?
Stealer

Postby flyernzl » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:14 pm

For ZK-AMO, a new main spar.

NZ4115 was fully fitted out with basically zero-timed components when handed over from the RNZAF. However, 40 years of time have taken their toll.

In both cases, limitless money and engineering expertise would do the trick. One of the hurdles would be the difference between certification for private ops and ATO. Would you want an aircraft of this size that was restricted to non-passenger transport? That was one of the hurdles faced by the Catalina Club when they were looking for their PBY-5A - finding a Cat that was still maintained to ATO standards limited the field to just a couple of aircraft world-wide.
flyernzl

Postby Stealer » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:25 pm

Certainly not. I guess I was thinking about how the Aussie have got VH-PBY and now VH-CAT which will be based at the old RAAF base at Rathmines. I contacted the ownser of VH-CAT
regarding the engine replace ments they needed, Instead of following my advice they chose to use another company and spent a $USD20k each on the engines. Then they were moaning about the fuel costs. I told them that a University in the US was conducting studies into the use of AGE-85 with great success using radial engines. Of course, the University study was sponsored by the US Corn Growers Association, but it would have meant free fuel. Nope! Stubborn Aussies spent AUD$200,000 in fuel to get the bird back to Aussie. That US "Super Cat" is registered with the FAA to carry 22 passengers.
It would be so cool to get"one up" on the Aussie with another airworthy 4 engine 'boat allowed to carry passengers.
Stealer

Postby Pondskater » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:56 pm

I think the most likely prospect of seeing one fly has to be Kermit Weeks Sunderland Islander, in Florida. He bought it with its stock of spares and it has been well maintained. In theory at least it should be potentially airworthy, but at what cost in cash and effort?

Even so it amazes me how small components can be the downfall of such ambitions. When Islander had her wing tip smashed at Chatham in the mid 80s, they simply could not find a stock of the correct type and gauge of tubing to rebuild the structure. The only answer was to swap their damaged wing tip for a better condition one at the Imperial War Museum. Had the Imperial War Museum not been restoring their aircraft and willing to swap bits, they could have been grounded.

Allan
Pondskater

Next

Return to Flying Boat Interiors