Sunderland Bomb Bay Crew Area

This is the place to post pictures, plans and documents of any flying boat interior or crew position to form an historical archive.

Sunderland Bomb Bay Crew Area

Postby sunderlandmr5 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:28 am

Hi All

I have a question, I am hoping the collective wisdom of the forum may be of help in.

The attached photo link shows a crew eating at the mess table. Generally the mess table
would be found in the officers ward room toward the bow end of the boat.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/w77t/69963 ... 931592@N22

Looking at this photo, it would appear that the crew are eating in the Bomb Bay,
going by the down pipes, and the give away is the galley access ladder behind the
crewmen handing over/receiving a plate from one seated.

Now the Mk I/II Sunderland manual has a set of line drawings, that show a set of
bunks and folding table in the Bomb Bay. The manual also refers to the Bomb Bay
as part of the crew ward room. The Key to the diagrams shows that this type of bunk/table
arrangement was of a special request nature; eg not all Sunderland Mk I/II's would have had it
(or did they).

After all that preamble, does any one know of, or have photos, as to how wide
spread this might of been in use in the MK I/II Sunderland?

Mk III/V show no such thing (that I am aware of), so presumably only on the Mk I/II?

Thanks/regards

Alan
sunderlandmr5

Re: Sunderland Bomb Bay Crew Area

Postby GUMMIPUFFER » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:30 am

HI BUD - I ONLY WORKED ON MK III + V - BUT THE GALLEY IS AFT OF THE WARD ROOM - WITH 2 X BUNKS + FOLDOUT TABLE - BOMB ROOM IS BEHIND GALLEY - 2 X BUNKS AFT OF BOMB ROOM - THEN NORMAL .50 BEAM GUNS - LIKE THE B-17 ETC. - THAT PIX IS WRONG - THEY ARE NOT BEAM GUN POSN - THEY ARE THE OLD .303 MK I CUPOLA GUN POSNS. - I AM SURE THERE ARE PLENTY OF LAYOUTS SHOWING THAT - THE LADDER GOES UP TO F/E POSN IN WING ROOT - GALLEY HAS 2 X HATCHES FOR DROGUE DEPLOYMENT - THE AUSSIES IN 10 SQDN DECIDED TO FIT .303 LEWIS GUNS ON PINTLE MOUNTS THERE ALSO . THANX J.C.
GUMMIPUFFER

Return to Flying Boat Interiors