Sunderland Mk III - Ladder on Flight deck -Main Spar

This is the place to post pictures, plans and documents of any flying boat interior or crew position to form an historical archive.

Sunderland Mk III - Ladder on Flight deck -Main Spar

Postby sunderlandmr5 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi All

I'm hoping some one may have a photo or diagram of what I am trying to verify.

On the Short Sunderlands Mk I/II there is a ladder/step attached to the main spar cover
on the flight deck - you can see it it this IWM photo link behind the Nav's chair.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/ ... 6df8c1.jpg

The ladder/step whilst allowing the crew to climb over the spar (you really don't need it, really)
to my observation, is really for the MkI/II, being a postionable ladder/step to allow the crew to climb
upto the main overhead hatch. The ladder had to be positionable, as there is a platform that folds
out at 90° to the spar allowing crew to stand on it (eg Navigator to check sun/star setting/Sextant shots
crew to egres/ingress etc).
See the platform in the up postion here in this link (note the ladder/step is not there -though the mounting lug is)
http://www.castlearchdale.net/sitebuild ... rtable.jpg

Take a step forward to the MK V Sunderland and this step/ladder is not there, as in this photo

This is the table/platform which folds out

The MkV had a more enclosed postion around the spar, and areas for footholds.

Question I have is, did the Mk III have this ladder/step?
Personally I don't believe so, as the flight deck had undergone some changes to accomodate the change
in the naviagtors table (especially when ASV was added) and lookng more a like the Mk V's

Thought/comments would be most welcome

Why am I asking this ? In my Sunderland build Mk III, I am currently working on the main spar area and need to
verify if the ladder/step was there on a Mk III

Thanks

Regards

Alan
sunderlandmr5

Re: Sunderland Mk III - Ladder on Flight deck -Main Spar

Postby seawings » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Hi Alan,

Have you got a copy of the MkIII Manual? If not, email me off-board - I have a pressie for you!

I have just gone right the way through it (it is a cracking publication packed full of detailed drawings and pictures and stunningly detailed text - I never get tired of looking through it) and there is absolutely no mention of a ladder in that position. Nothing in the detailed drawings or pictures but more interestingly, nothing mentioned in the highly detailed emergency escape paragraphs, or the interior fittings para's either.

Hoever, there is mention of other ladders being carried, particularly the one stowed in the rear hull, so the Manual is THAT detailed that it mentions just about every procedure, and nut and bolt, as it were.

So, from all that I would suggest, 'No', it wasn't fitted.
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby sunderlandmr5 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:09 am

Hi Bryan

Thanks for your reply.

Is this the particular publication you are refereing to?

If so, then yes I do have it, if not, then yes I would be keenly interested :D

I always had my doubts about the ladder being there (especially with the stand) for the Mk III, as the spar is easy enough to swing your leg over, and the opposte side has a small step to help you get back over.

Thanks/Regards

Alan
sunderlandmr5

Postby seawings » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:37 am

Morning Alan,

Nope, that's peanuts compared to what i've got....!

The easiest way to transfer this is to do it via DropBox - I'll explain it all in an email.

Email me off board and I'll set up Dropbox for you (I use it all the time with other members, it's free and allows the whole Manual to be transferred instantly, without email between you and me)

Then, when I get home from work I'll send it to you and you can sit in amazement at it, as I still do!

Speak to you later,
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby GUMMIPUFFER » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:47 am

HI FOLKS - THE ONLY LADDER OR STEPS ON MARK III IS SAME AS MK V - I WORKED ON BOTH AT SHORTS - IT IS FIXED AND LEADS FROM GALLEY TO UPPER DECK BESIDE F/E POSN. - YOU SIMPLY SWING LEGS OVER THE 'D' SPAR TO ENTER FLIGHT DECK - THERE IS NO LADDER OVER 'D' SPAR - SAME IF YOU WISH TO GO TO STERN VIA CHURCH DOOR - SWING OVER WING REAR MAIN SPAR - THE GUY IS CORRECT IN THAT THERE IS A FOLD OUT PLATFORM TO STAND ON TO OPERATE ASTRODOME / SEXTANT ETC - ALSO USED BY F/E AS COMBAT CONTROLLER - ALSO USED BY F/E DURING ENGINE STARTING / SEE CARB / ENGINE PRIMING PANEL SHOT . THE OTHER STAIRWAY UP TO FLIGHT DECK COMES UP BETWEEN THE IST + 2ND PILOTS SEAT - THE 3RD PILOT SEAT HAS TO BE SWUNG ASIDE TO USE IT - THAT CAN INTERFERE WITH SONOBUY LAUNCHER BEHIND 1ST PILOT SEAT - SEE THE MANY SHOTS ON SEAWINGS OF INTERIOR - THE ASV OP. SITS BACK TO BACK WITH NAV WHO FACES TO STERN AS DOES F/E - NO MODS ARE NECESASARY TO NAV. POSN TO FIT ASV THEREFORE - THIS IS A BIG FLIGHT DECK FOLKS , NOT A MODERN CRAMMED AIRLINER COCKPIT - THANX J.C.
GUMMIPUFFER

Return to Flying Boat Interiors