Antilles "Super Goose"

Martin Seamaster through to the Canadair CL-215 & 415 and the Shinmaiwa US-1.

Re: Antilles "Super Goose"

Postby VanuatuSeaplanes » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:23 pm

Gidday Gidday,

A couple of Super Goose Goose questions for Rajay and the team.

1) Have any been produced yet? If so how many, if not are any nearing completion?

2) Can they handle a 600m grass strip?

Cheers
VanuatuSeaplanes

Postby Stealer » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:45 am

In an answer to your question you might want to check out this thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=242
Stealer

Postby Rajay » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Actually, there is nothing of any significance about Antilles in that thread at all. Just some cheap shots from someone with absolutely no first-hand knowledge about Antilles at all.

I also already answered Paul's questions via a PM.
Rajay

Postby Stealer » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:52 am

Now com on, USD$3,700,000 for one of your Super Gesse:

http://www.seaplanemarket.com/view.php?id=165

Paul could buy many these Grummans with spare parts for that money, especially in this economy:

http://www.controller.com/list/list.asp ... N&setype=1
Stealer

Postby Rajay » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:04 am

Don't know anything about that ad or where they got a price of $3.7 million. I've always heard that the price of the very first couple of the absolutely brand-spanking new (0 hours TIS) Antilles G-21G Super Goose aircraft will be $2.95 million. Eventually, it will go up - afterall, Dornier is asking something more like $6 million USD and the G-21G can do a heck of a lot more than the CD2 can do. (Like carry a load or actually go somewhere out of gliding distance from the starting point.)

And the difference between a "new" Antilles G-21G Super Goose and all of those other Grumman seaplanes in the Controller ad that you referenced is that they are all between 60 and 75 years old!

Even a new Beech G58 Baron will set you back something like $1.4 million USD - and it carries only 6 people (compared to 10 in the G-21G) and it will land in the water only once!
Rajay

Postby MrWidgeon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:31 am

The Aero Volga is a nice enough little airplane and I'm sure it has it's place, but it is not even in the same league in comparison to a Grumman Goose (Turbine OR Piston).
The Goose is larger, faster, carries more passengers and carries them farther, it will also handle a lot rougher water conditions.
True it does cost more, but you get what you pay for.
In fact the Aero Volga more in line with a Widgeon in size albeit, slightly larger.
Yes, the Aero Volga has 8 seats vs the Widgeon's max of 6, but judging by the photos it would normally be flown with only 6 on board unless all 6 passengers actually like having the same leg room as the back seat in 1956 Volkswagen.
As far as capabilities, the Widgeon has it all over anything in it's class.
Any Super Widgeon conversion is faster than the Aero Volga and I seriously doubt it will get off the water faster than a 270hp McKinnon conversion (8 seconds from full power application to off the water under normal conditions in all but the heaviest weight configurations, then make it 13-15 seconds).
With a new Magnum conversion it will fly farther, faster, higher and carry more than anything else out there and do it for half of what the Aero Volga is asking.
Yes, the newest Widgeon is still more than 60 years old ........ and your point is ?
Properly maintained it will outlast the fiberglass construction of the Aero Volga by many years because fiberglass or any laminate/resin construction will eventually start to degrade and when it does, you throw it away, you can't fix that.
Not to mention it's a lot harder to repair a hole in a fiberglass hull than it is aluminum.
I don't see the Aero Volga or ANY fiberglass/composite airplane still flying in 60+ years, but as long as there is AvGas to burn I'd bet on the Goose and Widgeon to still be flying on their 100th anniversary (Goose in 2037 & Widgeon in 2040).

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby Stealer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:44 am

I guess it really comes down to the intended use of the aircraft. If you're just doing short hops the LA-8 is fine. It's also now available in a "long range" Salt Water variant as well. But I certainly agree with Mr Widgeon that the composite hulls are hard to repair. However, there is also this pice of news form 2009 I discovered which I believe is very important, especially when it comes down to the purchase of an Antilles Super Goose:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2009/11/16/story4.html?page=all
Stealer

Postby Rajay » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:30 am

Stealer wrote:...But I certainly agree with Mr Widgeon that the composite hulls are hard to repair. However, there is also this pice of news form 2009...

Man, you really have some kind of pathological need to try to stick it to Antilles, don't you? What did they ever do to you?

That article was oh so wrong, but it sounded dramatic and so everybody wanted to make a big deal about it. The very same "journalist" (that term is used with apologies to Walter Cronkite, who is probably rolling over in his grave!) wrote another story more than a year earlier (in July 2008) in which she reported that Antilles was in the process of moving its HQ to a larger facility in Graham, NC - which they did. And they're still there.

Ownership of the 20,000 sq-ft shop in Gibsonville was under contention with a former partner in the business, but the 60,000 sq-ft facility in Graham was obtained after he left the company in 2005. The Gibsonville shop wasn't even really "foreclosed" on or "sold" at auction; it was simply taken over by the former partner, who had another business of his own right across the street.

Apparently, the reporter (Laura Youngs) did not even remember what she had already written and published about that move, which had already been planned and was in progress at the time of her second article.

See for yourself - the earlier Business Journal article can be found here: http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2008/07/14/story1.html
Rajay

Previous

Return to 1945 - Post War up to Today's Modern Aviation