Short Solent at Oakland

Martin Seamaster through to the Canadair CL-215 & 415 and the Shinmaiwa US-1.

Short Solent at Oakland

Postby Seagull » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Here is an update on the Short Solent at Oakland. The Western Aerospace Museum (WAM) has ben renamed Oakland Aviation Museum (OAM) and the Solent has been painted in BOAC markings as shown here in a December 2008 photo. Hopefully one of these days it will gets its wing floats back on as well as the rudder. It has been a very popular attraction with visitors because they can tour the inside.
Attachments
SolentOAMdec08.jpg
Seagull

Re: Short Solent at Oakland

Postby Pondskater » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi, Good to see she is being looked after.

I'm hoping to get over to see her sometime in the near future, do you happen to know anybody at the museum that I should get in touch with?

Allan
Pondskater

Postby Seagull » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Allan: Yes, you should see Frank Wilson as he is the one who has taken on restoring that plane and has a great interest in Solents. You can contact him at <frawil@sbcglobal.net>. Bill Larkins
Seagull

Postby Pondskater » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:47 am

Bill,

Many thanks, the dates of the trip will be sorted in the next two days and then I will drop him a line. Much appreciated.

I've already had a nice reply from the museum and am really looking forward to the trip.

Allan
Pondskater

Postby seawings » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:02 pm

Pondskater wrote:Bill,

Many thanks, the dates of the trip will be sorted in the next two days and then I will drop him a line. Much appreciated.

I've already had a nice reply from the museum and am really looking forward to the trip.

Allan

I feel a walk-round coming on................... ;)
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby Pondskater » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:10 pm

It would be a shame to go all that way and then miss the chance to do a walk round photoshoot.

I've never done one before so, does anybody have any tips or advice on how to go about it? I have a good digital camera (and flashgun) so the technical side I should be OK with but any other guidance would be welcome.

Allan
Pondskater

Postby seawings » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:29 pm

Pondskater wrote:It would be a shame to go all that way and then miss the chance to do a walk round photoshoot.

I've never done one before so, does anybody have any tips or advice on how to go about it? I have a good digital camera (and flashgun) so the technical side I should be OK with but any other guidance would be welcome.

Allan

A TV star like you! The hardest bit is to remember to take your camera!

Have a look at a few of the latest ones (listed in What New) that I have in the WR section of SEAWINGS - that'll give you a good idea. It's just point, shoot, move to the right three steps and repeat, then go all over the airframe!

If you are still unsure, you could always take me and I'll do it for you while you have a look around............!! :D
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby TASSE » Mon May 04, 2009 11:46 pm

Just remember to make sure that you have a film in it and there is a button that you have to press.

TASSE

And dont trip over anything.
TASSE

Return to 1945 - Post War up to Today's Modern Aviation