Lord Howe Island the early days (Sunderland)

Martin Seamaster through to the Canadair CL-215 & 415 and the Shinmaiwa US-1.

Lord Howe Island the early days (Sunderland)

Postby SailingtheSky » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:01 am

Have just joined this forum and recently come across some great pictures of the early days of the Flying Boat
service to Lord Howe Island. Flying boats operated to and from the island continuously from 1947 to 1974.
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe the this would be the longest running big boat
service in history!?

I have been kindly entrusted some great picture from the late Arthur Lenavez who was the officer in charge of
communications on Lord Howe Island from around 1941 until around the mid 50's. Arthur was a keen photographer
and captured some great images of the flying boats that graced the lagoon in that period.

A sequence of Trans Oceanic Airways Sunderland VH-AKP “Tahiti Star”on Lore Howe Island in the late 40’s.

These images kindly lent to me via the Le Navez family I realise in this day and age and I have learn’t in the past
posting on the net more or less makes them public property. If you decide to use them or copy them please respect
the Le Navez families memory by crediting the late Arther Le Navez for his photos, thank you.
Last edited by SailingtheSky on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
SailingtheSky

Re: Lord Howe Island the early days!

Postby SailingtheSky » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:12 am

Some more pic's from the Le Navez collection, the Sunderland images ex RAAF (A26-5) of 40 Sqn operated by Trans
Oceanic Airways as Tahiti Star (VH-AKP) best as I can work out around the late 40's.

The next image you will notice the chap hanging out of the nose, he is preparing a drogue used to slow the boat
while approaching the mooring. There is also a chap looking out of the roof (astrodome hatch) behind the cockpit
as well. The question to be asked why does she look like she is taking off with a couple of fellows hanging out of her.

In Lord Howe Island’s lagoon there is a sandbar which crosses the lagoon roughly east to west. In the instance of the
machine alighting in the south she would have to taxi up to the jetty at the northern end of the lagoon to unload.
To avoid hitting the bar the boat would have to be lifted up to get the hull clear, hence the term “flying the bar.”
I knew they had to do this but this is the first image I have seen of it happening, great shot!

This last image the same machine as above on the north mooring, notice the bomb bay doors under the wing.
This is how depth charges were deployed via a winch and rail system, this arrangement proved to be useful for
bringing freight to the island. The most popular item in the early days pianos! Also note the nose turret in the
retracted position to deal with the mooring of the boat.

These images kindly lent to me via the Le Navez family I realise in this day and age and I have learn’t in the past
posting on the net more or less makes them public property. If you decide to use them or copy them please respect
the Le Navez families memory by crediting the late Arther Le Navez for his photos, thank you.
SailingtheSky

Re: Lord Howe Island the early days! (Sandringhams)

Postby SailingtheSky » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:35 pm

Entered the New Zealand register July 25, 1946 at “RMA New Zealand” (ZK- AME).
She was loaned to the RNZAF for the best part 1947 for service to Fiji.

Sold to Barrier Reef Airways for 5,000 pounds April 28, 1950, entered the Australian
register as “Capricorn” VH-BRD as best as can make out the images below are some
time from the above purchase date until October 31, 1952when she sank while moored
on the Brisbane river and was written off. The hull was purchased with the new owners
having plans to convert her to a floating restaurant on the Gold Coast, during the tow
from Brisbane to the Gold Coast she was swamped by waves with the wreckage never
located!

VH-BRC “Beachcomber” formerly with TEAL as ZK- AMH “Auckland.”
Full history here on Aussie airlines site.
http://www.aussieairliners.org/shortfb/ ... vhbrc.html

Photo Arthur Le Navez

This picture would have been taken some time in 1953 when Ansett Flyingboat Services
began operations to Lord Howe Island, she would go on to service this route for twenty
one consecutive years!

These images kindly lent to me via the Le Navez family I realise in this day and
age and I have learn’t in the past posting on the net more or less makes them public
property. If you decide to use them or copy them please respect the Le Navez families
memory by crediting the late Arther Le Navez for his photos, thank you.

Photo Peter Phillipps

This image taken at Solent Sky in Southampton in the UK where she currently resides.
SailingtheSky

Re: Lord Howe Island the early days (Sunderland)

Postby flyernzl » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:35 pm

Nice photos.
Thanks.
flyernzl

Return to 1945 - Post War up to Today's Modern Aviation