Supermrine Walrus aircraft on whale ship Willem Barentsz

Martin Seamaster through to the Canadair CL-215 & 415 and the Shinmaiwa US-1.

Supermrine Walrus aircraft on whale ship Willem Barentsz

Postby DHathaway » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:37 am

People

This query involves Supermarine Walrus aircraft - but in use post-war, so I hope this is the right section of the forum to post a query. If not - please tell me.

I have been researching the use of Walrus flying boats on whale factory ships. There is a lot of documentation on the 3 embarked on the factory ship Balaena and the colour schemes and registration numbers are well known.

I have found that the Dutch whale factory ship Willem Barentsz also carried 2 Walrus aircraft on a trip to Antarctica in 1946 or 1947 - but all the sources I have found so far are adamant they were never used. What I am trying to find is the colour schemes, registration numbers, etc to enable me to represent them in model form. Information on the history (before and after) of the aircraft would also be useful.

I have a couple of black and white pictures but they either show the ship from so far away that details are impossible to make out - or just show a small part of the aircraft in close-up. The pictures being black and white are very hard to interpret for colours but show a light colour (overall?) so my guess is a yellow scheme similar to the aircraft carried by Balaena (though those has silver dope undersides).

Any help or pointers to material (in print or online) would be very much appreciated.

David Hathaway
DHathaway

Re: Supermrine Walrus aircraft on whale ship Willem Barentsz

Postby dogsbody » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:41 pm

I would say that you have picked the right spot. I don't have any information but others may.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Postby WhyMe » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:20 pm

I've read about those Walruses in this livejournal article (it's in Russian so you might have to use a translator, for example Google Translate).
I hope you can find some new information there. Feel free to PM me if you need help with translation.
WhyMe

Postby DavidLegg » Fri May 01, 2015 6:36 pm

Hi David - I am a little outside my comfort zone here but have found a cutting from an old edition of Aviation News (undated but back in the days when it was in newspaper format rather than magazine). The two aircraft were PH-NAW and PH-NAX and, in short, neither were actually used for the intended purpose. One (-NAW) crashed at Cape Town en route south and the other one was never used for whaling. No previous identities are quoted in the article and, oddly, Air-Britain's Netherlands Civil Register since 1920 does not list either of these aircraft. If you would like a scan of the cutting, contact me off-Group at pby5@btinternet.com
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Postby schneiderman » Sat May 02, 2015 5:05 pm

There seem to a few (bad) photos online. For example

http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/2 ... 854e0.html

http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p75 ... #h1925b648

and for the accident (although you will need to read Dutch - or use Google Translate)

http://www.hdekker.info/Nieuwe%20map/19 ... 07.12.1946
schneiderman

Postby DHathaway » Thu May 07, 2015 9:39 am

Thanks for all the replies - and links. The photo at "aviationphotocompany" is particularly useful as it shows the placement of the registration numbers clearly (I am assuming the upper surfaces placement was similar) - and I am pretty confident it is in a uniform overall light colour. I am no expert in judging colours from black and white photos but given that the UK "whaling walrus's" were definitely yellow (on the upper surfaces/fuselage - silver dope underneath) there is a pretty good chance the Dutch ones were yellow.

I think I have enough to be going on with - thanks for the help. If anyone else finds further pictures or information please let me know.

David Hathaway
DHathaway

Return to 1945 - Post War up to Today's Modern Aviation