Commercial Cats

Martin Seamaster through to the Canadair CL-215 & 415 and the Shinmaiwa US-1.

Commercial Cats

Postby VanuatuSeaplanes » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:41 am

Does anyone know of any Catalina's that were used successfully in a commercial role?
VanuatuSeaplanes

Re: Commercial Cats

Postby Rajay » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:36 pm

There have been many over the years - just not any more. You're talking about an aircraft that was built for the most part before WW2! In addition to the age issue, that airframe was never designed for passenger service so it's never been what you would call an "efficient" commercial passenger-carrying platform. Dedicated special missions like fire bombing - sure, but not so much passengers!

See http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac3/Airline/Alaska%20Coastal%20Airlines%20Convair%20PBY-5A.html for an example of a PBY in "commercial" service. It lists both Alaska Coastal-Ellis Airlines in Juneau, AK and Antilles Air Boats in St. Croix, USVI for the same PBY - N2763A.

Member David Legg is the top PBY expert in the whole world probably and could provide you with more examples.
Rajay

Postby 9aplus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Here some pictures of old lady, alone, parked for approx. 14 years.
Before was in commercial ops in Amazona.

One of dreams was to transport to Europe and take slow&easy "project plane" works.

Unfortunately cheap way of transport by air was not possible so far.
In the future who knows....

Actual condition of plane is far from "safe ferry" condition, even with engine swap.

Anyone looking for plane in condition like this, or any idea "How to" proceed...

9aplus

Postby DavidLegg » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:29 am

Rajay wrote:
Member David Legg is the top PBY expert in the whole world probably and could provide you with more examples.

Oh Lord, please do not use the 'e-word'. Not even 'probably'! ;)

'Vanuatu Seaplanes' - If you can get hold of a copy of my book Consolidated 'PBY' Catalina - the Peacetime Record, you will find that commercial usage was widespread, not all of it successfully! The book is now ten years old and out of date plus a lot more data is now to hand thanks to the internet. But, it's got some nice pictures in it. Don't pay full price but search the internet. In fact it looks as if it may have been remaindered as there are dirt cheap copies to be had at Abe Books. Just go to their website and search under 'David Legg' and then use 'Catalina' as the Key Word and bingo! And before I get my wrists slapped by the Moderator, I've no money to be made here at all - what I made was paid years ago and it was peanuts!"
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:54 am

Don't sell yourself short David, it's still a valuable resource, I use my copy quite often to cross reference images on line.
(So when do we see an updated edition ?)

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby DavidLegg » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:50 am

MrWidgeon wrote:Don't sell yourself short David, it's still a valuable resource, I use my copy quite often to cross reference images on line.
(So when do we see an updated edition ?)

Bill

Thanks Bill. Well maybe one day! - I'm keeping my own up-date files of course. Airlife the publisher went bust so I would have to start from scratch I guess.
David Legg
DavidLegg

Postby DavidLegg » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:52 am

9aplus wrote:
Anyone looking for plane in condition like this, or any idea "How to" proceed...
As a starter, the seller is maoborde@gmail.com
David Legg
DavidLegg

Postby 9aplus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:53 pm

Yes, correct...
The plane is legacy of his late father Cpt. Borde

Let's help Mauro to sell to good home,
or preserve that old lady... How about that?
9aplus

Return to 1945 - Post War up to Today's Modern Aviation