Short Sandringham

Martin Seamaster through to the Canadair CL-215 & 415 and the Shinmaiwa US-1.

Re: Short Sandringham

Postby Islander » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:24 am

Gentlemen!

You may be interested in my latest book - 'Beachcomber - the story of a flying boat' - which was released this week on my website. This standard sized 'picture book' with supporting text examines the history of the Short S-25 Sandringhams along with an in-depth look at 'Beachcomber' - which as you already know was the last Short Mk 4 Tasman Class Sandringham to operate a commercial airline service anywhere in the world.

I write my books for the enthusiast - I do not write for the mass market. If you are seriously interested in this particular aircraft then you can actually view the book as a QuickTime Movie on the website before you order the book (on-line ordering). Unfortunately the coffee-table version of this book will not be available for another 2 weeks until I can determine the postal costs in sending it to different parts of the world.

I know some people are going to whinge about the price - but before you do - read very carefully my explanation as to why I've gone down this path on the website.

Web address: http://www.aussieairliners.org - then enter thru 'Books For Sale' button.

I am in the process of doing a similar book on 'Islander' - it should be available next year.

Enjoy - Islander
Islander

Postby MrWidgeon » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:38 pm

Greetings All,
From a Gentleman, Ruben Husberg, on the Wings of Peace Yahoo group.
Sandringham LN-LAI at Fornebu circa 1948-1949.

The little silver seaplane is a Luscombe 8A - LN-FAS and the green seaplane beyond it under the tail of LAI is a new Quiz.
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby TASSE » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:10 pm

Well i would say that the green seaplane is possibly a Beaver.

TASSE.
TASSE

Postby ant » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:54 am

Did you know the Sandringham (S1209) was written off after an accident at Bangui (CAR) flying for SAS - 16 Nov 1952?
Likewise the Luscombe (1168) -location unknown - 15 Apr 1952
(From http://www.flightsafety.org)
ant

Postby sunderlandnut » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:00 pm

This cutaway is from an article ‘Southern Water Wings (Australian)’ by Keith Sissons in ‘Aircraft Illustrated’ mag March 1972.

(Available at higher resolution if desired)

Sandringham-2 G-AGPZ ‘Argentina’ (ex Sunderland-3 DD834) later Dodero’s LV-AAP ‘Argentina’ which crashed in fog at Buenos Aires 29.7.48.

Cheers
Richard
sunderlandnut

Postby flyernzl » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:10 am

Two photos I have just found within the Neville Drake Collection.
Ansett Sandringham VH-BRC ex ZK-AMH at Lauthala Bay, Fiji, in 1960. Two RNZAF Sunderlands visible in the background.

flyernzl

Previous

Return to 1945 - Post War up to Today's Modern Aviation