Dornier Do-24 foward fuselage in Australia

The Short Sunderland, Dornier Do-24, Kawanishi H8K 'Emily' and many more.

Dornier Do-24 foward fuselage in Australia

Postby Pegasus » Wed May 19, 2010 12:43 am

:), G'day everyone,
I recently read in a magazine about the forward fuselage of a Dornier Do-24 out the back of the Moama Returned and Services League club. Moama is situated on the northern bank of the Murray River which is the border between New South Wales and Victoria. I already had a trip planned down that way to visit my girlfriend who lives in Deniliquin, about 75 km from Moama and there were a few things I wanted to purchase in Echuca, just the other side of the River. We went to Echuca and purchased what we wanted and then back to the Moama RSL for lunch. Here are some of the pics I took while we were there. This Dornier has been cut up into a 4 berth houseboat, but you can still see it was once a Do-24. It was one of the few that escaped from the Netherlands East Indies and then the attack on Broome harbour and served the RAAF for a couple of years at Rathmines and various other places around Australia and New Guinea. On to the pictures.
Some more pictures shortly.

Cheers,
Ross.
Pegasus

Re: Dornier Do-24 foward fuselage in Australia

Postby TASSE » Wed May 19, 2010 1:07 am

Oh what a sad mess.

TASSE.
TASSE

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed May 19, 2010 7:39 am

I see a lot of flaking paint and a little rust, but I don't see any signs of serious corrosion - at least in these first few photos.
There MAY be hope for it as a static display yet.
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Postby antipodeanandy » Fri May 21, 2010 7:03 am

Great pics, Pegasus. Good to know this is still around. I don't live too far away so will have to keep it in mind when I'm in the neighbourhood.
Andy Wright
Aircrew Book Review
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library - Jorge Luis Borges
antipodeanandy

Return to World War II - 1939 to 1945