RAF No. 204 Squadron Sunderlands - SS Honolulan

The Short Sunderland, Dornier Do-24, Kawanishi H8K 'Emily' and many more.

RAF No. 204 Squadron Sunderlands - SS Honolulan

Postby ewstone » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Hello,

Back in November of 2011 I joined the forum here looking for information on RAF No. 204 Squadron aircraft/crews involved in a search and rescue mission off the coast of Bathurst, Gambia in late July, 1942.

The Members, especially Richard, were of great help in providing some more details and pictures on the aircraft. Information on the crews remained the stumbling block.

Eventually, I was able to get my hands on the Squadron's Operational Records Books, and I'm pleased to report that I have now been able to identify those involved from 204 Squadron, to give them the proper credit.

I have released a major update to my page on this story, which you may view here if interested:
http://www.ssarkansan.com/home/american-hawaiian-in-wwii/honolulan

I have made various tweaks throughout, but what you may be most interested in are Sections 3 & 4.

Section 3, Titled 'Rescue and Repatriation' covers the point from where the U-Boat that sank the freighter SS Honolulan left the scene to the crew's eventual repatriation in NY. The first 2/3rds was revised to interweave additional details from the ship's captain, reports from the ORB's, crew lists and my own thoughts and observations.

Section 4, Titled 'RAF No. 204 Squadron' is completely new, and is a summary of the squadron's time in The Gambia, especially as it relates to the Honolulan's loss, but I also went on a few tangents about their Neighbors in No. 95, No. 200 and No. 128 Squadron's and their interaction with the Vichy French of West Africa.

I hope you find it interesting, and thanks again for providing this forum and your expertise.

Kind Regards,

Eric
http://www.ssarkansan.com
ewstone

Return to World War II - 1939 to 1945