XPB-2N info sought

The Short Sunderland, Dornier Do-24, Kawanishi H8K 'Emily' and many more.

XPB-2N info sought

Postby Lorne » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:45 am

I am doing research on a journal that was kept by a field engineer, Lewis Christensen, for Wright Aeronautical Corp. It contains a day by day account of the projects he worked on from March, 1942 until May, 1943. The first half of the journal deals with work he did on the TIE2,(Baldwin) heavy tank. My first reaaction was, "What on earth is a Wright aeronautical engineer doing working on a tank?" After a bit of digging I learned that Wright encorporated their aircraft engines into some of the early WWII tank designs. The tank was eventually scrapped because of cooling problems as well as transmission and the fact that smaller tanks were using bigger guns.

The second half of the journal is most interesting to me because it is filled with notes on work he did on the P4Y-1, PB2Y-4 flying boats as well as some experimental planes namely the XB-32 and XPB2Y-4.

I would like to find out more about these craft and particularly Lewis Christensen. If anyone has information on either of these topics I would greatly appreciate it if you contacted me.

Best regards,
Lorne Bohn
Lorne

Re: XPB-2N info sought

Postby dogsbody » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:24 pm

The M3 Lee/Grant and the early M4 Sherman tanks had Wright radial engines too.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
dogsbody

Return to World War II - 1939 to 1945