Gert & Daisy - 230 Squadron and the Chindits

The Short Sunderland, Dornier Do-24, Kawanishi H8K 'Emily' and many more.

Re: Gert & Daisy - 230 Squadron and the Chindits

Postby BarbaraLane » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks so much for sending the audio tape. My siblings, mother and her cousin have all listened to it. We think the descriptions match stories my father told us and wrote in letters to my mother at that time, and that the story about the man nervous about going up to the flight deck sounds very much like something Dad would have thought funny, but we also agree that it is definitely not my father speaking. My sister suggests that it sounds like someone is reading the words as there is no hestitations or whisker words used at all. Furthermore, she suggests that communications at that time would have had to pass through censors, so we are all thinking that my father is the likely author of the text but someone else read it (so from our perspective that's a bit disappointing, it would have been lovely to hear Dads voice again). When I contacted the IWM they said the voice is that of a Peter M Hart. Now there was no crew member on either of the "boats" with that name so I have contacted the museum again to find out more about this person if they have it. Will keep you posted on their reply.
BarbaraLane

Postby Kenny » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:14 pm

What a shame... oh well, that's research for you and the chances you sometimes have to take - at least the filmed material is more positive...
There is a "present" research fellow and published author of that name associated with the IWM...?
One of the crew members on "Gert" was also from the north-west, F/Sgt Knox, but the 2nd pilot on "Daisy" was from Harrogate, which is not that far south of that area, F/Sgt Smith...

The recording was made in 1944, and the give-away for the story is the part that details the machine-gunning of the lake, which occurred post the last flight, and that was by "Gert", piloted by your dad - I can only presume that it is your dad's story, regardless of who's voice is on the recording, but I'll have to note this carefully for the purpose of my work - the unusual aspect is that it was made with a "colloquial" accent in an era that spoke "just-so" on the BBC - the accent, as discussed certainly being north-east English...

It would still be fascinating to see the contents of his log-book during this era, if your family were willing to let this be seen...

This is from a book entitled "The Kid Glove Pilot" by Alan Deller that leads to further confusion - the line-book is no longer in the Squadron's possession...
... in fact in the squadron Line Book (still preserved and read again in 1993 at RAF Aldergrove) there is recorded a remark I apparently made in the mess while talking about the trip afterwards “A three-foot swell at the Seychelles - I bounced and bounced and bounced - I didn’t like it - I always make smooth landings!” Just before that in the Line Book was a lovely one by Jack Rand in a broadcast on the Chindit rescue: “I don’t know whether you’re familiar with the Brahmaputra…!” For those not familiar with the RAF expression ‘shooting a line’; while it sometimes refers in a derogatory manner to plain boastfulness it mostly involves an unintentional or deliberately humorous boast...
Kenny

Postby BarbaraLane » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:51 pm

Here are Dad's log notes for this time period.
Last edited by BarbaraLane on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraLane

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:42 pm

Hi Barbara... for some reason there are no images showing at the moment... if there is an issue at your end, if you are willing, send them to my email and I'll load them up for you...
Kenny

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:33 pm

Doing this by stages - I've given a slight tweak to the images but they were pretty good in the first place...

Barbara's comment on the email she attached the images to really sums up an awful lot about these events...
"Dad was only 22 when the evacuation of the Chindits occurred. It is sort of amazing to think that as our father he always seemed old, but really now 22 seems like a child!"

The first is the cover of John Rand's log book...

This is his clearance to fly Sunderlands... seventy years ago...
Kenny

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Details of the start of Operation "RIVER" - flights from 4th to 9th June 1944...

Details of flights from 10th to 28th June...
Last edited by Kenny on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kenny

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:45 pm

Details of flights from 29th June to 4th July...

Details of flights from 8th to 27th July 1944 and returning to regular operations...
Kenny

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:58 pm

The personal letter from Air Chief Marshall Sir Richard Peirse congratulating Flight Lieutenant John "Jack" Rand on the awarding of his DFC...

That's the seven that Barbara sent me to post for you to see... many thanks to you and the family... Kenny's off to do a bit of studying now... ;)
Kenny

Postby AlexNortonesq » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:02 am

Thanks to Barbara for sharing that with us, and to Kenny for posting them on her behalf.
AlexNortonesq

Postby AlexNortonesq » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:17 am

At Kenny's request, I'm posting the pages of my father's logbook dealing with Operation River. The third page deals only with his flight out from Dibrugarh in a DC-3 and Jack Rand's Sunderland DP180, after JM659 was left on the bottom of the Brahmaputra River

AlexNortonesq

PreviousNext

Return to World War II - 1939 to 1945