Gert & Daisy - 230 Squadron and the Chindits

The Short Sunderland, Dornier Do-24, Kawanishi H8K 'Emily' and many more.

Re: Gert & Daisy - 230 Squadron and the Chindits

Postby seawings » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:31 pm

Kenny wrote:Cheer's Alex...

I've been slowly disassembling the IWM films of Gert and Daisy and the rescue period to post individual images (elsewhere - too bulky and time consuming to do this on multiple sites, I'm afraid) but I've had no "bites" from anyone yet...

I've written a minor article for the Squadron's newsletter for this edition that I'll post once its gone to "print"... the cover has a still showing the only time both aircraft were pictured together (IWM ABY9)... not a great shot, but...

I can even give you the time and date of this one as it was just on alighting when your dad's plane first got to the Brahmaputra... it is sad to note that Daisy was languishing (water ingress in the fuel, starter motor failure, etc, iirc) at this point (no flight today - 15th June '44) and never flew another successful mission... 20th June was when she lost her float for a second time and that was that...

Hi Kenny,

What other forum are they on. may I ask?? I could go over there and 'rescue' them and post them here to save you time....
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:51 am

Interesting... by all means please do, Bryan... I'm presently stuck trawling through too many files for a non-pro researcher to manage, but I'm getting there; just slower than I hoped. I've elected to concentrate on a book I'm entitling "Gert and Daisy: 230 Squadron and the Chindits", as that is reasonably easy to separate from the main story. The Squadron newsletter is always a fun thing to work on and the summer edition is just going to bed, presently running a 16 page printed edition and a 48 page (probably - stuck waiting for a final Sqn piece of copy) pdf edition; both are private access to the Squadron Association...

The CBI pages on the World War 2 Talk site... I lurk there under the moniker of Hebridean Chindit...

Gert and Daisy pages

If you need any advice or want something bigger than I've posted let me know... I'm keeping the images at "recognisable" rather than too big, for obvious reasons...
Kenny

Postby Kenny » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:29 am

Well, it's reached a fateful date in the history of the Sunderland operation...

June 20th 1944; and entry in the Squadron records...
... For the second time during the operation an American ‘Duck ‘did its worst’ colliding with the port float. On examination it was found that although the float was undamaged the float assembly main spars and all struts were U/S. The float itself was therefore taken off to await arrival of new parts.

There is an alternate date for this occurrence in Major John Knapp's article Blackwood's Magazine...
... This was the only bright spot in the next few days. Orders, counter-orders, and bad weather reduced our spirits. On 18th June the unlucky Daisy was put out of action finally by a repetition of the former blunder by another duck driver. This time the damage was even more serious. One of the main struts of the float was fractured, and Daisy was definitely unserviceable.
Major Knapp may be credited with the Gert and Daisy namings unless I find something different at the (potential) culmination of my project...

Time for Gert to be recalled...
Kenny

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:31 pm

28th June 1944 and after another ferry-flight Gert arrived at Dibrugarh for further flights to Indawgyi whilst Daisy languished nearby awaiting parts... Gert had a failed ASI so could not go straight into action for a couple more days...
Kenny

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:27 pm

This is a series of images I am capturing from some IWM films for the purpose of identifying those that were involved on the ground and in the air, and those that were rescued...
Please remember that they remain copyright of the IWM

These are all from ABY9 and the code includes the minute/seconds time-stamp of the capture... this set is from 0-45 to 1-11 ... some faces start to become familiar images...

Image Image Image Image Image

Kenny

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:38 pm

This set is from 1-15 to 1-58

Image Image Image

These onlookers would be rather elderly now...

Image Image Image
Kenny

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:47 pm

This set runs from 2-03 to 2-24

... and as for modern hairstyles... ;)
Image Image Image

Below are two of the regular faces who assisted in getting the casualties ashore and the last image is dated 2/6/44...
Image Image Image
Kenny

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:53 pm

This set runs from 2-29 to 3-09.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Kenny

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:43 pm

This is a random shot of this gent walking along at dusk smoking a cigarette; still from ABY9... 3-31

... and some more onlookers... 3-30

Some shots from the shoreline... 3-42 and 3-43
Image Image

The remainder from this section is the transport of officials and their parties out to Gert... USAAF insignia is displayed... 3-45 to 3-48
Image Image Image Image

More to follow as soon as I get the chance...
Kenny

Postby Kenny » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Gert had a proving flight on this date in 1944 which was successful so an op to Indawgyi was scheduled for the 30th...
Kenny

PreviousNext

Return to World War II - 1939 to 1945