Kermit Weeks' Sunderland

The Short Sunderland, Dornier Do-24, Kawanishi H8K 'Emily' and many more.

Kermit Weeks' Sunderland

Postby Bumble » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Just a heads up for anyone who might be on facebook - not sure whether this is visible to the public or not.

If you look at the Fantasy of Flight facebook page,there are some recent photos of the Sunderland,looking in excellent condition.
Some of the comments may make you smile ;)
Bumble

Re: Kermit Weeks' Sunderland

Postby Cameraman » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:49 am

Hi Bumble,

I was chatting with Kermit over a pizza a few weeks ago and he said that he has some new projects on the go, which will be diverting resources away from the Sunderland but he does have long term plans to return her to flight.

He's a most interesting character.

One thing he did say was that the changes will involve more people coming to see him and his kit, rather than him going out to them, as things are at the moment. He wouldn't elaborate further but it sounds interesting for his facilities.

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby seawings » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Cameraman wrote:Hi Bumble,

I was chatting with Kermit over a pizza a few weeks ago and he said that he has some new projects on the go, which will be diverting resources away from the Sunderland but he does have long term plans to return her to flight.

He's a most interesting character.

One thing he did say was that the changes will involve more people coming to see him and his kit, rather than him going out to them, as things are at the moment. He wouldn't elaborate further but it sounds interesting for his facilities.

Regards

Reggie

Name dropper, you...!
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Postby Cameraman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi Bryan,

the funny thing was that we met up three times during the event!

I reckon I was being stalked!

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby Pondskater » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:53 pm

I saw him at Old Warden last weekend - he was very approachable and happy to chat to the crowd about the WWI Albatross he was flying. Good pilot too!

I see he has just bought a new plane to keep the Sunderland company. The Sikorsky S38 currently in the Netherlands is heading for Florida. It will be a good partner for his S39 and Grumman Duck at the Splash In.

Pics of it on his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 368&type=1

Now I suppose that trip to Florida in April is even more inevitable.

AllanK
Pondskater

Postby DavidLegg » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:37 am

Cameraman wrote:I was chatting with Kermit over a pizza a few weeks ago and he said that he has some new projects on the go, which will be diverting resources away from the Sunderland but he does have long term plans to return her to flight.
Reggie

Reggie - when you were having your chat with Kermit, did the subject of the Catalina (N3936A, ex-BuAer33966) he has in deep storage come up? I wonder if he mentioned any plans?
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Postby Cameraman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:43 am

Mornin' David,

sorry it didn't. I wish it had as I'd have been interested to know myself!

Regards

Reggie
Cameraman

Postby Kenny » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:09 am

The subject of this particular lady came up on Saturday during a reunion for 230 Squadron at RAF Benson - it may be that a thought to return her to military MkV status is being seriously considered, but it was also noted that it will be some time before she flys again - obviously, the squadron historians have an interest in this matter...
Kenny

Postby sunderlandmr5 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:47 am

Kenny wrote: - it may be that a thought to return her to military MkV status is being seriously considered, but it was also noted that it will be some time before she flys again - obviously, the squadron historians have an interest in this matter...

That definately would be an interesting thing to see, and in honesty It would not be just 230 Squadron
members interested.
As her last military designation was NZ4108 of the RNZAF- there (I'm sure) would be many Kiwi's
(former RNZAF and others) who would follow with interest (me for sure :lol: ).

Thanks for sharing that neat piece of information.

Regards

Alan
sunderlandmr5

Postby MrWidgeon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:15 am

I have serious doubts about that ever happening.
First, just finding a full set of turrets would be a major undertaking let alone doing away with the civilian interior/exterior modifications and replacing all of the structure needed to reinstall said turrets IF they could be found.
If anything I think you might see a repaint to a military paint scheme who's accuracy might be questionable at best.
There's always hope, but in this case I fear it's more wishful thinking.

Bill
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Next

Return to World War II - 1939 to 1945