Transport Command Call-signs allotted to BOAC Sunderlands

The Short Sunderland, Dornier Do-24, Kawanishi H8K 'Emily' and many more.

Transport Command Call-signs allotted to BOAC Sunderlands

Postby Aotearoa » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:01 am

During WWII the BOAC Sunderland III fleet originally started service between the UK and Lagos, Nigeria, in early 1943, using their Civil aircraft registrations.
In October of that year they were transferred to services between the UK and India, and as Egypt, through which they passed each way, required the aircraft
to have Transport Command Call-signs to transit that country as it was a war zone and civil aircraft were not allowed to travel through their airspace. The Sunderlands
were allotted call-signs starting "OQZ" with a 4th letter identifying each individual aircraft. I am trying to find out EXACTLY when the BOAC Sunderlands started using those
call-signs and when they stopped using them. I have the full list of the call-signs used by this fleet and just need to know those dates please. I'd be very pleased if somebody
out there can assist me with this information please. Thanks so much.
Aotearoa

Re: Transport Command Call-signs allotted to BOAC Sunderland

Postby seawings » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:08 pm

Sounds like you need to hook-up with Paul Sheehan on Facebook, he might well know the answers........
Best Regards,

Bryan Ribbans
Owner of:

The Flying Boat Forum
SEAWINGS - The Website

"I put the sweat of my life into this project, and if it's a failure, I'll leave the country and never come back".
Howard Hughes, re: the HK-1 Hughes Flying Boat, aka the 'Spruce Goose,' 1946.
seawings
Site Admin

Return to World War II - 1939 to 1945