Latecoere, Lake Biscarrosse and Hourtiquets flying boat base

From the Singapore and Southampton through to the Short Empire

Latecoere, Lake Biscarrosse and Hourtiquets flying boat base

Postby DavidLegg » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:10 am

Are there any forum members who can help me with some detail concerning the above? Primarily, I would like confirmation that the flying boat base at Hourtiquets was used by Air France for trans-oceanic mail flights and then by the Luftwaffe during the war whilst the Latecoere factory was further round the lake at Biscarrosse, close to where the current museum is located and where the seaplane meeting is held every two years. Did the Latecoere company also use Hourtiquets? I am also keen to understand the layout of the original buildings at Hourtiquets. Photos suggest there was a hangar at either side of the ramp with the control tower and passenger terminal on the east side. Was there ever a hangar that ran the width of the hardstanding between the other two hangars? There is certainly a metal rail in the concrete (hangar door guide rail?) that would suggest this is the case but this is not confirmed from the few photos I have seen. I have asked the musuem for help but no reply as yet. Let's see what Seawings can do!
David Legg
Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society
Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record
DavidLegg

Re: Latecoere, Lake Biscarrosse and Hourtiquets flying boat

Postby Stealer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:37 pm

I may be able to find the information you're looking for, but you'll need to be able to read French or resort to using Google Translate. Here's a good place to start:

http://batailles-1939-1940.historyboard.net/la-guerre-sur-l-eau-f42/les-avions-de-l-aeronautique-navale-francaise-t934-25.htm
Stealer

Postby DavidLegg » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks S tealer. I have confirmation of the first parts of my post but details of the layout of the two sites would be helpful.
David Legg
DavidLegg

Postby DavidLegg » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:17 pm

Tony - many thanks for your posting. I had stumbled across that great photo yesterday and it was certainly taken at the Hourtiquets flying boat base. The hangar in the background is the eastern one and the old control tower is visible. The website you suggested is fantastic! - many of those photos were clearly taken at Hourtiquets but I think some were also taken at the Latecoere site further round the lake at Biscarrosse itself. I would be really interested to see the aerial view you mention - personal e-mail address is pby5@btinternet.com

My interest is that I crew on Plane Sailing's Duxford based Catalina and we operated on the lake at Biscarrosse last May and used the hardstanding and slipway at Hourtiquets for our overnight stays. It's a spooky place now, virtually deserted although owned by the military as it is on the edge of a firing and test range. Having walked all around the site, I am still trying to get a feel for how it was in the '30s.

Thanks again.
David Legg
DavidLegg

Postby TASSE » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:24 pm

Here is a rather bad photo of Hourtiquets from my collection.

TASSE.
TASSE

Postby parpaite » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:14 pm

sorry i have a bad englich, can i writing in french ?

i have many information regarding biscarrosse SPB
parpaite

Postby parpaite » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:23 pm

some one could help me to obtain information regarding "imperial airways" and "aquila airways" stop at biscarrosse houtiquets SPB (first from 1938 to 1950 ... go to and from the africa, and for the second 1950 1958 go to and from acores islands).
parpaite

Postby Pondskater » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:53 pm

The Aquila Airways stop at Biscarrosse was during their holiday charter flights to Capri. The scheduled flights to the Madeira (Funchal) stopped at Lisbon.

If you can find a copy of the book (in English) by Norman Hull, Eagles Over Water, it has the history of Aquila Airways. Unfortunately it is a rare book and not easy to find but worth waiting for.

There is also this: http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/ ... 01645.html

and some information here: http://www.plimsoll.org/Southampton/Fly ... irways.asp

I'd be happy to see some of your information on Biscarrosse. Your English is better than my French perhaps you could post in French and put an internet translation underneath.

Good luck

Allan King
Pondskater

Postby parpaite » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Bonjour, comme je vous l'ai annoncé, j'effectue actuellement des recherches historiques sur la base de Biscarrosse Hourtiquets.
Je recherche donc de l'aide en ce qui concerne les lignes et l'activité qui s'y rattachent pour les compagnies anglaises qui faisaient escale sur cette hydrobase (imperial airways, BOAC, aquila airways).
Dans mes archives, il est également mentionné l'utilisation de bouées d'amarrage (mooring buoys) de type RAF: est-il possible d'avoir des photos ou des plans concernant ce type de matériel ?
Vous pouvez me contacter pour des renseignements sur cette base.
Last edited by parpaite on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parpaite

Postby MrWidgeon » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:39 pm

Thanks to Google translator :

Hello, as I have told you, I currently doing research on the basis of historical biscarrosse Hourtiquets.
So I'm looking for help regarding the lines and the activity associated with it for the English company who stopped on the seaplane base (Imperial Airways, BOAC, Aquila airways).
In my archives, it is specified above égallement use of mooring buoys (mooring buoys) type RAF: Is it possible to have photos or plans concernat such matéreil?
You can contact me for information on this basis.

BIll
In water flying attitude is everything
MrWidgeon

Next

Return to Between the Wars - The 'Golden' Era - 1918 to 1939